Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Kirkey Seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kirkey Seats

With tax time coming up, I've been thinking about some new seats. Personally I don't really find the stock ones that comfortable so I'm open to just about anything. Its a DD but will be seeing some track time. The interior is ebony and I'm taking the back seats out. My budget is around $500. I've read that Kirkey seems to be pretty popular. I just don't know exactly which ones will work for my car. I'm 6'2", 235 lbs.

To sum it up, I want black seats(don't really care what material, I'd prefer like a vinyl or fake leather though), light weight, the pair for around $500, work with the stock seatbelt, not too much modification to install, and as comfortable as I can get with all the above.

Its a 2002 Z28 A4 with bone stock interior.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kirkey's are nice for pro-street/drag, but I don't think the stock seatbelts will work properly with them. They have slots for a 5 point harness to pass through, not for a retracting, one piece belt. Check Summit's site, I think they have some other seats that may work better for you.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't call a kirkey comfortable either. I can tolerate it for a couple hours but its not something I enjoy.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Any suggestions other than Kirkey then?
Old 01-31-2014, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the ones I have. Pretty comfy and match the interior well. I think they are the Jegs or Summit brand. Here are a few pics.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Aluminum seats like Kirkey and Ultrashield work well for a track car. But if you're going to use them on a DD, you'll regret it. Even with some additional padding, they're not comfortable on a long drive. With good padding, it's a 2-3 hour seat at best.

I have put a lot miles and hours in a Cobra Clubman seat. It's easily an 8-9 hour seat. Soft padding to make your butt happy, and decent lumbar support. Good hip bolsters without being difficult to get in and out of. http://www.cobraseats.com/Clubman

This particular seat is fabric. Burt there are similar seats in black vinyl. Leather is available on the high end seats, but expect to spend way more than your budget.

All seats like this can be mounted on your stock tracks if you use a little ingenuity.

Also, these kinds of seat are really designed for a 5 or 6 point racing harness. But adapting a stock 3 point harness really isn't that difficult.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm interested too. Reupholstered seats are expensive too.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Rise of the Phoenix- Man those Jegs/Summit seats do look pretty good. How hard was it to install those seats?

.bob- I understand what you're saying about those Kirkey seats but I gotta ask. For someone who never drives the car longer than 45-60 minutes at a time, would you still say I'd regret the Kirkeys?
Those Cobra seats do look good. But because of my lack of respect for Ford, I could never put anything in my ride that could be confused with Ford affiliation.
Also, are the 5,6 point restraints street legal? Cuz I'm not completely opposed to those.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I bought a kirkey for mine, I sat in them for over an hour and still felt comfy. Your stock seat belts wont work correctly with them and it is also highly recommend to have a roll bar with a Kirkey as they need that support.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a kirkley in mine and I find it very comfortable. I don't have a roll bar and my seat has zero flex to it. I'm also 165 lbs on my heaviest day
Old 01-31-2014, 01:51 PM
Launching!

kingc8r- What did you do for your seatbelt then?

Like I said, I'm 235 lbs. Is it absolutely necessary to get a roll bar with Kirkey seats. Cuz I aint doing roll bars anytime soon if at all.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

You can screw the guide in to the top back side of the seat. the lap part wont fit snug against you.

I guess you could cut windows out on the sides of the kirkey and unbolt your stock seatbelts, feed the belt through the new holes and bolt back down then make a hole on the other side for the locking mechanism to go through....

Or buy harnesses. I haven't figured out what I'll do with mine yet lol. Ill probably rock harnesses and then latch the seat belt when street driving so It looks like I'm wearing a seatbelt lol
Old 01-31-2014, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

You don't need to get a rollbar, but it is highly advisable since the kirkey isn't as structurally sound as a stock seat so should you get in an accident that paired with the seatbelts not keeping you snug you will get injured..

I wanted the lightest seat possible, so that's why I went with Kirkeys
Old 01-31-2014, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BWZ_2k2Z28
Rise of the Phoenix- Man those Jegs/Summit seats do look pretty good. How hard was it to install those seats?

.bob- I understand what you're saying about those Kirkey seats but I gotta ask. For someone who never drives the car longer than 45-60 minutes at a time, would you still say I'd regret the Kirkeys?
Those Cobra seats do look good. But because of my lack of respect for Ford, I could never put anything in my ride that could be confused with Ford affiliation.
Also, are the 5,6 point restraints street legal? Cuz I'm not completely opposed to those.
They bolted right in without any modifications needed to the track. They are nothing to write home about, but look good and weigh a lot less than the stock seats.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

My Cobra gets more street miles than track miles. The Ultrashield has some extra padding in the bottom that I bought from Spruce Aircraft. They're comfortable for about 2 hours or so. But even after a full days drive they're not torture, just not as comfortable as the Clubman seat.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run kirkeys and find them comfortable. It's all in what the individual likes.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Launching!

What size Kirkeys am I supposed to get? My waist is a 38 if that matters.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say maybe the 18s? I have a 30 inch waist and the 15 in my driver seat is snug. I got a 17 for the passenger side and got a few pretty big friends and hey have never complained about fitment.

The only thing I would warn you about the Kirkeys is getting in and out of them. I don't pay it much attention because my car is rarely driven but the way the seats are made, you kinda have to climb over and then sit down. My dad raises hell about it every time he rides in the car.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

I have the 18's and I have a 40-42in waist and they aren't super snug. 17-17.5 would probably be fine, 18 is the biggest I'd go
Old 02-02-2014, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JustAFooL

The only thing I would warn you about the Kirkeys is getting in and out of them. I don't pay it much attention because my car is rarely driven but the way the seats are made, you kinda have to climb over and then sit down. My dad raises hell about it every time he rides in the car.
That's exactly the reason I used Ultrashield instead of Kirkey. The thigh bolsters are definitely shorter, making entry and exit easier without sacrificing lateral support.

Originally Posted by BWZ_2k2Z28
What size Kirkeys am I supposed to get? My waist is a 38 if that matters.
Originally Posted by Kingc8r
I have the 18's and I have a 40-42in waist and they aren't super snug. 17-17.5 would probably be fine, 18 is the biggest I'd go
There's a fit chart either on the Kirkey or Ultrashield site that tells you how to measure your back side for the proper fit. Using that chart and doing the measurements a couple of times, and bought a 17" seat. I could certainly use a 16.5", and maybe a 16. But since it's also a street car, I have room for heavy coat.

Quick Reply: Kirkey Seats