Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

POST YOUR 6000k HIDs!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*UPDATE*
So my HIDs just showed up today and I got them all hooked up. Obviously it is too light out for me to take some shots of the light output and cutoff. But I will be doing that tonight when it gets dark out. Here are some pictures of the projectors with the lights on in the day time. You can see that even when looking at the light from the projector, there is basically no blue tint at all. Looks as white as a 5000k I'd say.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Those look sweet, how do you like them?

I really like those green fog lights too
Old 02-11-2014, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00ShreddedMaro
Those look sweet, how do you like them?

I really like those green fog lights too
Thank you very much! So far, I love them. They seem like they are going to be quite bright but only time will tell when it gets dark out. Like I said, I will take a lot of night shots of the light output and the cutoff. I was expecting them to have a blueish tint when looking at the projectors, but I don't mind a bit that they are all white when looking at them. I'm sure they will have a crisp cutoff with a nice color flicker. Pics to come tonight!! And yes, the fogs are a custom color. There isn't a temperature for them as far as 6000k or 8000k ect. They are just called ''GREEN" HIDs. I really like them as well but I am considering putting my 6000k HID fog lights back in to match the 6000k low beams I just got.

What are you guys' opinions? Should I keep the green fogs or put the 6000k matching HIDs back in?
Old 02-11-2014, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

personally if i'm gonna do fogs i'd say either match the lows or go yellow but that's me
Old 02-11-2014, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

while it wouldn't match color wise, lower temperatures, like in the 3,000k to 4,000 range are better for fogs, assuming you want fogs that actually help in the fog.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

i get that but what heat range is green? yellow is like 3000k. When i had 4500k in my Vette's fogs they were white
Old 02-11-2014, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cole Train
i get that but what heat range is green? yellow is like 3000k. When i had 4500k in my Vette's fogs they were white
I don't think there is a green heat range necessarily, just a green color maybe

you're right about the yellow though, here's a quick chart.

I personally like the green, I think it's a nice simple touch and goes well with the white color of your car op. I don't know how much fogs really help as far as light output unless they are the 55w. No way I could pull off the green in a red car LOL

I eventually plan on putting some behind my grille to match the low beams and yellow in the fog light outlet

Last edited by 00ShreddedMaro; 02-11-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

*BAD NEWS*

So I went out tonight and was excited to see the light output of the new lights... Well as soon as I turned them on, the driver side was flickering constantly. Then after about a minute the light turned off completely. I went to take a look at the bulb and low and behold what did I see, a HUGE burn right in the middle of the bulb on the filament. I was forced to put my 10k back in as those are the only other pair of bulbs I have for these headlights.

I contacted the seller and told them my story. I am going to be returning them as soon as the seller gets back to me tomorrow morning hopefully.

I think it might be time to call it quits with there eagle eye projectors. Although I like the way they look and I like the CCFL halos, I think it is time to upgrade to a pair of BLS lights. I think I want the blacked out version because the lights I have now have black housings. BLS uses Morimoto Mini H1 projectors from TheRetrofitSource.com which are obviously FAR FAR better then the halogen projectors in my eBay set that use an H3 bulb. H3 bulbs shouldn't even be used for a low beam as they are typically used in fog lights. Because of that, the beam pattern is very narrow which sucks. So instead of keep trying to make these eagle eye projectors work as best as they can, I am going to get the real deal. BLSolutions, if you are reading this, I am going to be PMing you...

Sorry things turned out this way after all the buildup and excitement for this lights. I will keep you guys posted on any updates I have.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Got a pic of the bulb?
Old 02-12-2014, 01:05 PM
FormerVendor

Whenever you are ready, feel free to PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Got a pic of the bulb?
Yep here is the burn in the filament. You can see how dark and black it is. It should be clear like the top and bottom of the bulb is.

The seller got back to me and said sense it is a manufacture problem, for me to break the bulb and them them a picture so they can send it to the manufacture and then they would refund my money without me having to return the item back to them. I was surprised they wanted me to actually break the bulb. So I clarified with them before I did it. I said ''You want me to break the bulb, like crack the glass?'' They said yes, break it so it is in an unusable condition aka break the glass and take a picture. So this is what the result was. They asked for it..
Old 02-12-2014, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BLSolutions
Whenever you are ready, feel free to PM.
Sorry for not PMing you like I said I was going to. I was looking at your last post for the camaro lights you sell, then when I went to your website and noticed the prices were more than in the post I looked at. I realized that post was a group buy or a holiday special you were having so the prices at the time were less. I wanted to get the ''all blacked out'' version but the prices were too steep for me. I also noticed the H1 minis you offer are the 5.0 version.

So I just went ahead and bought a pair of Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 projectors, mini Gatling gun shrouds, and H1 Morimoto 3five bulbs from TheRetrofitSource.com. I plan to just paint the shrouds and headlights myself.

Thank you for the reply though, sorry we couldn't do business.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:11 PM
FormerVendor

No worries. Be aware the 6.0 have a shorter threaded shaft versus the 5.0. You will need to thin out the bulb holder area of the housing to get enough threads for engagement of the lock nut. The area left gets real thin so we have avoided using them for fear of an issue with customer housings. It's a shame since it is a better performing unit. Our black out option is not a rattle can job but is done in a professional paint booth. Good luck with the retro.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Talking

Originally Posted by BLSolutions
No worries. Be aware the 6.0 have a shorter threaded shaft versus the 5.0. You will need to thin out the bulb holder area of the housing to get enough threads for engagement of the lock nut. The area left gets real thin so we have avoided using them for fear of an issue with customer housings. It's a shame since it is a better performing unit. Our black out option is not a rattle can job but is done in a professional paint booth. Good luck with the retro.
Thank you for understanding and telling me all this. I do plan on using a dremel and grinding down the three tabs on the back side of the headlight so there's more room for the lock nut. I also saw in a post from someone who did a write on their retrofit, what when you take the headlight apart, there are some tabs you can cut to make the housing sit further back in the headlight to which gives you more threads for the projector? Either way, I will take my time on the painting and the retrofitting to ensure that I do it the right way and make the projectors fit properly.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

You should post up how/what you do to mods and get pics
Old 02-12-2014, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

You should post up how/what you do to mods and get pics
Yes, when the projectors arrive I plan on doing a write up for the whole thing with plenty of pictures, don't you worry. I think I am going to paint the shrouds and housings gloss black. I saw that someone who did their retrofit used that color because it matched the color of their SS hood. And I have a black SS hood so it should be perfect. I will be creating a new thread for the write up, obviously, sense this thread was about 6000k HIDs. I purchased the projectors yesterday and I haven't received a tracking number yet. I live in Washington state and I assume they are coming from Atlanta because that is where their store is. So I might get them by Saturday but mostly like they might come by Monday.

Be on the lookout for me to start a new thread. I'm sure I will title it something along the lines of ''Camaro headlight retrofit''. Thank you to everyone who has taken part in this thread and who will be checking out my new one. I haven't had a pair of real HID projectors before but I already know it will be a 1000x better than any eBay projector out there. I am excited but also a little nervous as I have never done a retrofit before. I am sure things will go smooth as long as I take my time and not rush through things.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Part of me wants to tackle this on my '03 Silverado
Old 02-12-2014, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Part of me wants to tackle this on my '03 Silverado
Ya man you should! I always wanted to do a retrofit in the past but I never had another set of lights to have in my car while I'm doing it in case it took longer than a whole day to get it done. Now that I do have the eBay projectors in my car and the stock lights are just sitting around, it gives me as much time as I need to do the retrofit.

And sense you have more than one car, sounds like you wouldn't be rushed to get it done if you decided to do a retrofit as well. I'm sure the lights on your Silverado are bigger than the camaro headlights so you could even get a pair of bigger and better projectors then the Morimoto Minis if you wanted to.

I know people have retrofitted different projectors into the camaro headlights but being as this is my first retrofit, I went with the Mini H1s because they are the easiest projector to install because the back of them just screws right into the housing of the headlight. I didn't want to have to take on the task of cutting my housings to fit something a bit bigger.

Let me know if you decide to take on the task. And if you do, maybe my write up that I'll be doing will be a good reference for you!
Old 02-13-2014, 04:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Chris Baker
I purchased the projectors yesterday and I haven't received a tracking number yet. I live in Washington state and I assume they are coming from Atlanta because that is where their store is. So I might get them by Saturday but mostly like they might come by Monday.
Atlanta has been an icicle since Tuesday, and will be for another day or 2, I'd be surprised if they where even open this week, let alone shipping out orders.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
Atlanta has been an icicle since Tuesday, and will be for another day or 2, I'd be surprised if they where even open this week, let alone shipping out orders.
They have been open last last couple days. I talked to Carlos from TheRetrofitSource yesterday and the day before. But it does say ''processing'' under the shipping status.

Quick Reply: POST YOUR 6000k HIDs!