Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

POST YOUR 6000k HIDs!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation POST YOUR 6000k HIDs!

If anyone has seen my previous threads, I posted pics of my eagle eye projector headlights with 10k HIDs.

It didn't take long for people to tell me that I should get different HIDs. I like the 10k for the blue color but they definitely don't put out nearly as much light as a whiter colored HID.

I decided to buy some 6000k HIDs because they are basically all white with a smidgen of blue. I figured I will get the best of both worlds with the white being very bright and great for optimal visibility and the tint of blue for the style aspect.

I haven't seen what 6000k looks like in a projector headlight on a camaro, only found pics of people who put them in their reflector housings. So if anyone has a pair of projector headlights with 6000k HIDs, plz post your pictures so I can have a better idea of what mine are going to look like. It possible, plz include night shots from inside the car and the cutoff if you have projectors.

I will be updating this thread with pictures of mine once I get them. Until then, post your guys' setups please!
Old 02-08-2014, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

bump!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I got for ya is 6k HID in DEPO headlights. The color may be what your looking for.

Last edited by nascarnate326; 02-09-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I won't ever understand what's "stylish" about blue lights... Go with 4500k or 5000k for the most optimal light output.

I made some projectors for my Trans Am using 5000k Morimoto bulbs.

Above the cutoff:

Below the cutoff:
Old 02-09-2014, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Talking

Thanks guys for posting your pictures! I was really torn between 5000k or 6000k. I almost went with the 5000k but then decided not to because I was looking through a lot of other threads and the majority of people said they liked the 6000k better. I know the 5000k has 3000 lumens and 6000k has 2800 lumens but I heard that they are basically just as bright or a smidgen less.

Another reason I went with the 6000k is because I have a set of 6000k HIDs for my fogs that I might swap in once I get my low beams. If anyone else has any pics of their HIDs please post em' up!

Thanks guys!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HoLLo
I won't ever understand what's "stylish" about blue lights... Go with 4500k or 5000k for the most optimal light output.
Agreed - I retrofit some MiniH1's with 5000k bulbs into a spare set of OE housings last year and I love them.

No longer need the fogs either, so I just went with a pair of LED bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs. They output basically nothing, but the match well and look good, consume little power, generate little heat.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
Agreed - I retrofit some MiniH1's with 5000k bulbs into a spare set of OE housings last year and I love them.

No longer need the fogs either, so I just went with a pair of LED bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs. They output basically nothing, but the match well and look good, consume little power, generate little heat.
Right on man! Do you guys really thing that 6000k is going to be THAT blue when in a projector? All the pics I've found look like it's basically as white as 5000k with the most minute amount of blue tint maybe at the cutoff. I definitely do want a brighter light output as I have 10k HIDs for my low beams currently. I liked the blue color but everyone on here was right, the light output is very bad. I have eagle eye projectors currently but if I ever do decided to do a retrofit on my stock headlights, I might get 5000k morimotos from TheRetrofitsource. But until then, going from 10k to 6000k in my projectors will be a huge upgrade as far as light output goes, hopefully.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

My G8 came with a 6000K 35w cheap HID kit, I swapped out just the bulbs with Morimoto XB35 5000K, and kept the ballasts, and can definitely see a lot better! I contribute it mostly to the quality bulbs, but the extra lumens helps for sure. When looking at the car with the lights on, the bulb color looked pretty similar, but the light output on the 6000K just had an ugly blue tint that I didn't like and the 5000k fixed that, it's whiter and clearer.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Talking

My G8 came with a 6000K 35w cheap HID kit, I swapped out just the bulbs with Morimoto XB35 5000K, and kept the ballasts, and can definitely see a lot better! I contribute it mostly to the quality bulbs, but the extra lumens helps for sure. When looking at the car with the lights on, the bulb color looked pretty similar, but the light output on the 6000K just had an ugly blue tint that I didn't like and the 5000k fixed that, it's whiter and clearer.
Your G8's 6000k had the blue tint of the 10k that is in my headlights right now? That seams wierd lol. I agree what you got a lot better output mainly from switching from an ebay bulb to a morimoto XB35 for sure. I wonder how much of a difference it would have been if you went from an ebay 6000k to an ebay 5000k kit? Probably not that much. Unfortunately my projectors use an H3 bulb. I know Morimoto doesn't make any H3 bulbs so that's why I just got a set from ebay.

Like I mentioned, I know going from 10k to 6000k will be a good change in light output. But if I get a pair of projectors to retrofit into my stocks, I will be getting the best ballasts and bulbs Morimoto makes that way I would have optimum light output. But for now, sense I have ebay projectors, I think going from 10k to 6000k will be a good step in the right direction. And most likely I'll be taking out my green HID fogs and putting my spare pair of 6000k HIDs in to match the low beams.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

No the 6000Ks were nowhere near 10,000k blue. The 6000k still had a HINT of blue output, which made an ugly output on the road. That's what I meant.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rarely drive mine at night and if I do its just around town so light output isn't critical Night driving = front covered in bugs. Thats why I focus more on color than light output. And I came from an LT1 Camaro that matches for headlights.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Talking

No the 6000Ks were nowhere near 10,000k blue. The 6000k still had a HINT of blue output, which made an ugly output on the road. That's what I meant.
Oh, Ok I misunderstood what you meant. Ya, I know the 6000k will have a hint of blue output. But that is ok for me sense I am used to 10k which is like, straight blue. I will be updating this thread with plenty of pictures once I get the bulbs. They should be here by Wednesday.

I'm hoping that they have a good amount of white, bright output with a hint of blue just so they look sharp as you would see on an expense, luxurious car like a new BMW or Lexus or something. One this is certain, they will produce much more light than my 10k HIDs I have now, which should be plenty enough for me.

As you can see, the 10k is way too blue lol

Keep the pictures coming guys!!

Last edited by Chris Baker; 02-09-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:52 AM
TECH Addict

no pictures, but I can tell you, my little sisters Pontiac G6 had a like 10,000k or 12,000k bulb in it (in stock housing) when she bought it and one of the bulbs went out so I poited her to those 20 dollar 6000k bulbs on Amazon and it was a night and day difference in light.

if that house in the picture in your last post is uphill from the car then your lights are pointed WAY to high.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:45 AM
On The Tree

Talking

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
no pictures, but I can tell you, my little sisters Pontiac G6 had a like 10,000k or 12,000k bulb in it (in stock housing) when she bought it and one of the bulbs went out so I poited her to those 20 dollar 6000k bulbs on Amazon and it was a night and day difference in light.

if that house in the picture in your last post is uphill from the car then your lights are pointed WAY to high.
First off, The house is not on any hill. Completely flat lol. I got the headlights aimed perfect but I can see how the picture makes it look like it's on a hill.

Thank for for sharing your story about your sisters car. That's good to know that it was (pun intended) a night and day difference. The 10k looked cool to me and that was the only reason I got them. But after being in cars that have 5000k or 6000k HIDs, I knew I wanted to get some just because how much more light output they produce. I know the 6000k will still have a blueish tint to them which is ok with me but they will be basically all white which will be a refreshing change up to the straight blue color I currently have. Pics to follow once I get them and install them this coming week!
Old 02-10-2014, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Chris Baker
First off, The house is not on any hill. Completely flat lol. I got the headlights aimed perfect but I can see how the picture makes it look like it's on a hill.

Thank for for sharing your story about your sisters car. That's good to know that it was (pun intended) a night and day difference. The 10k looked cool to me and that was the only reason I got them. But after being in cars that have 5000k or 6000k HIDs, I knew I wanted to get some just because how much more light output they produce. I know the 6000k will still have a blueish tint to them which is ok with me but they will be basically all white which will be a refreshing change up to the straight blue color I currently have. Pics to follow once I get them and install them this coming week!
also how much of a blue hue 6000k has (in my personal experience) depends on the quality of the HID ballast being used, when I first put 6000k in my stock headlights of my old accord I used the ones in the kit I bought on Amazon for 50 bucks but they had a small flicker (supposedly solvable by adding a wire harness) so when my youngest sister totalled her TC I took the ballast that where on that and plugged them up, I instantly noticed the bulbs warming up quicker and they where actually noticeably whiter, they still had a hint of blue to them.

if you skip to the 7 minute mark in this video you can see an example of how different ballast can effect the color and light output.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
also how much of a blue hue 6000k has (in my personal experience) depends on the quality of the HID ballast being used, when I first put 6000k in my stock headlights of my old accord I used the ones in the kit I bought on Amazon for 50 bucks but they had a small flicker (supposedly solvable by adding a wire harness) so when my youngest sister totalled her TC I took the ballast that where on that and plugged them up, I instantly noticed the bulbs warming up quicker and they where actually noticeably whiter, they still had a hint of blue to them.

if you skip to the 7 minute mark in this video you can see an example of how different ballast can effect the color and light output.
http://youtu.be/fPZ9-GaOvE0
Yes I completely agree that quality ballasts affect the light output and amount of blue tint. I have good quality ballasts like the dude it the video. They are the big metal ones (the good ones). Those small plastic ballasts are ok, I've had them in the past but the ones I have now are noticeably better.

Just out of curiosity, I went out last night and hooked up my old 9006 6000k HIDs to the ballasts in my car to see what color it would produce. They were infact very white with barely any blue tint. I am sure that the H3 6000k HIDs I have coming in the mail will be the same. Of course I didn't stick them in my projectors because they were 9006 bulbs, so I wasn't able to see what the cutoff will look like but I was happy with the light output and color they produced.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

I did a little digging around on the forums and found a couple pictures of some 6000k in some projector headlights.

These are in the same headlights I have except they are the chrome version. You can see there is a bluish color when you look at the projector itself.

Here is the cutoff in a pair of Sonar projectors. Even though the light looks blue when you look at the headlight, the light output is basically all white which is great

And here is some 6000k in a projector that was retrofitted onto a trans am

I am happy knowing that it will have a blueish look when you look at the projector itself but when I am driving, the light output will be basically all white. Can't wait for my lights to arrive so I can test them out!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Chris Baker
Can't wait for my lights to arrive so I can test them out!
And be able to SEE when you drive at night, LOL. yeah there are a few ricers, mustangs and toyota trucks around here that have like 10,000k or higher bulbs in stock reflectors and it amazes me to see them drive at night, it makes stock Firebird headlights look bright.

One of these days I'll get back around to my retrofit on my firebird.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:04 PM
Teching In

POST YOUR 6000k HIDs!-poesshml.jpg

Don't have any at night right now, but these are the 6000k. I'd say 99.5% white with a very very light blue tint. Honestly perfect for my liking

I'd stay away from the blueish ones, they look ricey to me. White gives you the best light output from what I've seen as well
Old 02-11-2014, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Talking

Originally Posted by 00ShreddedMaro

Don't have any at night right now, but these are the 6000k. I'd say 99.5% white with a very very light blue tint. Honestly perfect for my liking

I'd stay away from the blueish ones, they look ricey to me. White gives you the best light output from what I've seen as well
Thank you very much for posting your pictures! Ya if you happen to take some night shots, plz post them up as well.

The color seems to be the same as in the pictures I found here on the forums, blueish when you look at the headlights but from inside the car they are basically white light. That is a perfect combo for me lol.

Ya the 10k I have now I would have never put in a stock headlight cuz it would scatter the light everywhere like all the ricer civics and whatnot. But sense these are the first projector headlights I have ever had, I wanted to see what a 10k look like coming out of a projector.

I am sure that I will love the 6000k once I get them and drive around at night to see how much brighter they actually are compared to the 10k I have now.

Keep those pictures coming guys!

Quick Reply: POST YOUR 6000k HIDs!