Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

02 Trans Am faded tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Trans Am faded tail lights?

I tried searching the forum on a thread about this, I know I've seen at least a couple, but I couldn't find them today

Anyways, the honeycomb tail lights on my Trans Am seem to be fading, possibly the red tint on the inside? One tail light is darker than the other, and they almost look unevenly tinted, but they're the stock tail lights with NO tint. I'm just wanting to know if this can be fixed, or if I'll need to replace them to get the original color back.

As you can see from the picture, the weather is quite shitty here in Missouri right now
Attached Thumbnails 02 Trans Am faded tail lights?-wp_20140209_010-1-.jpg  
Old 02-09-2014, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

You need to pull the tail lights apart, the material on the inside of the housing has started to deteriorate. Scrub it down and then hit it with a bright silver paint and then reseal and you should be good to go.

Finally did it, repaired the faded tail light.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Alright, thanks! I'll do that once it gets a bit warmer out. Any suggestions on what to scrub it down with?
Old 02-09-2014, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Boysenberry
Alright, thanks! I'll do that once it gets a bit warmer out. Any suggestions on what to scrub it down with?
Updated my post with the link to the thread where it describes the process. Hope it helps!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Awesome, thanks a lot
Old 02-09-2014, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

the red is part of the plastic, don't see how it could "fade" like that, but I have heard of the "chrome" reflectors inside getting duller, there is a thread on here somewhere where a guy took his apart and spray painted the reflectors with chrome spray paint to restore dull light output. you could try pulling the lenses off the car and shining a flash light thru where the bulbs go to see if there is something "fogging" up the insides and you can try polishing the outside of the lenses just to be sure.

Quick Reply: 02 Trans Am faded tail lights?