Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Cobalt SS seats in a 99 Firebird??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cobalt SS seats in a 99 Firebird??

Any used these (recaro) Colbalt ss seats in a 4th gen FB or Camaro? Will they need custom bracket or adapting?

Thanks!
Mark
Old 03-08-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

im on here everyday and ive never seen it done . im sure it can be just have to make brackets or adapt the stockers.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

If you can weld, anything is possible. I took the Recaros out of my Cobalt SS out of the same curiosity. I will say it would take ALOT of fabricating. Unlike the f-car seats where you can unbolt the sliding mechanism/mouting bracket from the seat, you cannot do that on the Cobalt seat. The mouting bracket/slider and recliner mechanism is integrated into 1 spot welded assembly, the a steel bucket bolts to that for the lower cushion to rest in. Another biggie, is the front mounts are hooks that hook into a slot. If you are good at welding and very good at fabricating, this could be an afternoon project. If not, run just run away lol

All is not lost though. An even better OEM Recaro more closely based off the newer CS line of seats will work easier in the F-bodies( for reference the Cobalt SS seats are from the older Trendline style series). Its out of the last gen Evo. Like us their frame/Slider unbolts from the seat. There is still fabricating to do, but on a much much simpler scale. There are several options for covering as well. Micro suede with blue cloth inserts on the Evo 8, full black leather and black leather with light grey micro suede from the Evo 9. There's only a Recaro logo on them, no special Evo or Mitsubishi logos. Prices used are pretty reasonable. Locally I've seen the micro suede/blue cloth sell for as low as 300 bucks.

Skorpion317 did the Evo seats with his Formula. Im gonna do the swap I think some time this summer. A few friends of mine have Evo's and I say with certainty the seats are substantially better than the Cobalt seats as far as comfort and the bolstering is much better at holding you in place.

Skorpions thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...eat-rails.html

Last edited by LT4vert; 03-08-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:50 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine has them in his chevelle, they look badass and are definitely a step above the stock f body seats.
I think he made them work with his stock rails but I'm not sure. I'll ask him how he did it if you want. Either way it's going.to take a little bit of fab work to get them in there

Quick Reply: Cobalt SS seats in a 99 Firebird??