Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Trans Am/Camaro Interior Switch Decals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trans Am/Camaro Interior Switch Decals?

Does anyone know where to get a sheet of either generic GM or Trans Am/Camaro specific switch decals? Pretty much just need the windows, door locks and a few arrows.

I'm trying to paint all the switches in my T/A black but I need the decals to put on when I'm done, unless anyone has any better ideas...?
Old 03-09-2014, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Camaro door and window switches are already black. The downside is they are a bit smaller than firebird switches so they don't fill the bezel spots as nicely.

See post #39...I PMed the guy and he filled in the door plates so they fit more closely to the switches.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...or-mods-2.html
Old 03-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by contraststriker
Camaro door and window switches are already black. The downside is they are a bit smaller than firebird switches so they don't fill the bezel spots as nicely.

See post #39...I PMed the guy and he filled in the door plates so they fit more closely to the switches.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...or-mods-2.html
Ah, I'm aware the Camaro switches are smaller and I'm terrible at fabricating custom bezels so I decided not to even attempt it.

I already changed the rear defroster button and the lighting dimmer to Camaro versions and I have the T/A stock grey A/C and headlight ***** painted matte black and drying right now. Camaro steering wheel controls should arrive tomorrow along with the camaro fog light switch which i intend to replace the smaller stock grey one with by cutting the bezel a bit. Half the clips of my gauge cluster bezel are broken so I don't really mind too much if I make a mistake. Needs to be replaced eventually anyway.

I also have a REEEAALLY cool speaker cover mod in progress and will make a new topic to show it off along with instructions if it works out.

EDIT: Here's the completed painted A/C *****:

I did the headlight **** too but it looks the same, no point in a picture.
Attached Thumbnails Trans Am/Camaro Interior Switch Decals?-20140309_190220.jpg  

Last edited by TallgeeseIV; 03-09-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I love that radio trim piece

I love the way you did that radio trim piece is that something you did or ordered, I wanna do one for a camaro or "LS1 Powered"

Originally Posted by TallgeeseIV
Ah, I'm aware the Camaro switches are smaller and I'm terrible at fabricating custom bezels so I decided not to even attempt it.

I already changed the rear defroster button and the lighting dimmer to Camaro versions and I have the T/A stock grey A/C and headlight ***** painted matte black and drying right now. Camaro steering wheel controls should arrive tomorrow along with the camaro fog light switch which i intend to replace the smaller stock grey one with by cutting the bezel a bit. Half the clips of my gauge cluster bezel are broken so I don't really mind too much if I make a mistake. Needs to be replaced eventually anyway.

I also have a REEEAALLY cool speaker cover mod in progress and will make a new topic to show it off along with instructions if it works out.

EDIT: Here's the completed painted A/C *****:

I did the headlight **** too but it looks the same, no point in a picture.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Ah, that's an "HUmount", I think the company used to be a sponsor but I don't see their logo on the right. Just google "Maptechenterprises". Tons of options.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Im gonna be making vector files of power window and lock icons tonite for a project I have back lighting the 4th gen Camaro switches. If you dont find a solution to your problem, your welcome to the files so you could give a shop that makes stickers an actual vector graphic to make a sticker from. The icons are not going to be exactly like stock though

My graphic is going to something like this.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LT4vert
Im gonna be making vector files of power window and lock icons tonite for a project I have back lighting the 4th gen Camaro switches. If you dont find a solution to your problem, your welcome to the files so you could give a shop that makes stickers an actual vector graphic to make a sticker from. The icons are not going to be exactly like stock though

My graphic is going to something like this.
Ah, nice, I may need to take you up on that. Also, I'm a bit of a digital artist myself. Anyway I can help? I'm pretty confident I could make the stock icons. What software are you using to do the vector images?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah, nice, I may need to take you up on that. Also, I'm a bit of a digital artist myself. Anyway I can help? I'm pretty confident I could make the stock icons. What software are you using to do the vector images?
I could make the stock ones, I just dont like the stock graphic. I am soooo picky with stuff like that Nice to see another designer on here. Im using illustrator cs6.

Im good with anything design related. My grief comes in trying to get some of the car related stuff produced. Like the switch. I know everything about how their made. I can design the file, but any company who would produce something like that will not deal with 1 time jobs or super low order quantities. So Im left fabbing alot of things myself.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:33 PM
Launching!

I could make the stock ones, I just dont like the stock graphic. I am soooo picky with stuff like that Nice to see another designer on here. Im using illustrator cs6.

Im good with anything design related. My grief comes in trying to get some of the car related stuff produced. Like the switch. I know everything about how their made. I can design the file, but any company who would produce something like that will not deal with 1 time jobs or super low order quantities. So Im left fabbing alot of things myself.
I understand, the stock ones are a little old school, although I'm not a fan of the padlock design for door locks icons. If you find a place that will print these, your primary icons shouldn't take the whole sheet. You could do several different sets of designs and see what looks best?

I was thinking of designing some really abstract, futuristic icons for these and seeing what you think of them. Admittedly I don't have much experience with illustrator but I could take a few days re-learning it and see what I come up with. I'll probably just do a proof of concept in Photoshop first though to show you what I'm talking about.

Who knows, this might be a product 6LE might want to buy from you one day, haha.

Oh, and would these be printed on a sheet with a removable backing, or just a clear sticker? I'd like to get as close to the stock printing appearance as possible.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:35 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What would you need? I'm picturing just a clear switch replacement for your to put on your decal, paint and then remove decal?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, and would these be printed on a sheet with a removable backing, or just a clear sticker? I'd like to get as close to the stock printing appearance as possible.
A transfer type sticker would work best given the size. I'm not sure how thin they can get it though, you definitely want to keep it thin as possible so it doesn't seem like a sticker. I want mine as thick as they can get as Im using it as a paint stencil.

PM me if you have any Illustrator questions, I will help if I can.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
What would you need? I'm picturing just a clear switch replacement for your to put on your decal, paint and then remove decal?
That would be ideal Mark to have a clear switch. I have already figured out how to mount plcc-2 smd leds under the buttons and tie the wiring into the little abient light circuit. The next hurdle was the button itself. I was just gonna get my patience on and cut out squares on the button where the icons were gonna be and it in its place mount a small clear piece. Close the small gaps with epoxy to smooth everything back out. Then shoot a translucent flat white. Then apply the icon stencil. Then shoot black, remove the stencil, then lastly coat with Alsa soft touch clearcoat. It sounds ridiculous but it would be "that" hard to pull off.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:43 AM
Launching!

That would be ideal, although a transfer sticker would be the simplest. Prefinished ABS plastic bezels that fit the T/A, with openings that fit the Camaro buttons would also be amazing.

PS: I ordered red gauge needles and ABS mirror corner tweeter pods from your store last night, can't wait!

That would be ideal Mark to have a clear switch. I have already figured out how to mount plcc-2 smd leds under the buttons and tie the wiring into the little abient light circuit. The next hurdle was the button itself. I was just gonna get my patience on and cut out squares on the button where the icons were gonna be and it in its place mount a small clear piece. Close the small gaps with epoxy to smooth everything back out. Then shoot a translucent flat white. Then apply the icon stencil. Then shoot black, remove the stencil, then lastly coat with Alsa soft touch clearcoat. It sounds ridiculous but it would be "that" hard to pull off.
I have a hobby airbrush that I use for small jobs like this and a sticky backed stencil would also work quite well. Just paint black, adhere stencil, paint white, remove, clear coat. done.\

EDIT: Just whipped up a quick proof of concept for the window and door lock icons. The window icons aren't the same scale as the lock icons because I was being lazy, but it's easy to fix once they're in a vector based format.

The first 2 icons could be lock and unlock, or, the 3rd icon could be lock and the first icon could be unlock, with the keyhole lines reversed.

The benefit of icons like these is that they're easier to cut out with some tape and an x-acto knife than the stock icons.

Also I think the arrows for the mirrors and the seat position are fine, and the lumbar and wings don't need icons as stock (when would you ever see them?) and the TCS/Convertible switches just being text are fine and should be easy to duplicate.
Attached Thumbnails Trans Am/Camaro Interior Switch Decals?-icon_sheet.jpg  

Last edited by TallgeeseIV; 03-10-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:39 PM
Banned

I was thinking a clear plastic so you could light them
Old 03-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Yeah, which would be totally amazing looking. However, If 6 colored plastic gauge needles are $90, I shudder to think how expensive these would be.

Also half the controls in my T/A are already black now, I'd rather not wait around for 6+ months with half grey ones If i don't have to.

Ultimately I'd end up buying the clear ones though, I'm sure.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man, you have more patience than me. I would want to kill someone after attempting to die cut something that small. That's good your getting your solution worked out.

Actually this the link below would be a more appropriate material to use. Its a white light diffusing polycarbonate. It would eliminate the need to paint a white layer for the icon as the material would already be white, like a newer oem button. Older ones used a clear material and layered the silkscreen, and some buttons actually had square holes and the backlit icon portion was plastic welded in the square before silkscreen( the TCS and fog light button on the Camaro are of the latter method)

Good stuff, but only for someone who has injection molding capabilities or resin mold prototyping, as it is raw material in pellet form.

https://www.inventables.com/technolo...stic-compounds
Old 03-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Banned

^^Totally different process than the needles. Needles are laser cut, this would just be vacuum formed...
Old 03-10-2014, 09:41 PM
Launching!

^^Totally different process than the needles. Needles are laser cut, this would just be vacuum formed...
Oooh, ok. That's good news then.

HOLY CRAP! Jackpot!

Can't link to non-sponsors obviously so go to superiorrestoration.com then click "products" then "Graphics for Radio, Climate Control and Air Conditioning Buttons".

They have sets of icons for several different vehicles, no GM door windows/locks, but several other good looking ones. I wouldn't mind a set of Audi Icons in my car.

Last edited by TallgeeseIV; 03-11-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Hey, I just found something interesting. I know GM and Honda occasionally share parts, and I found A/C control ***** for Honda Accords on Ebay that APPEAR to be almost identical to the Pontiac ones. Anyone know for sure that they don't fit?

Also, I'd really like to change mine from the twist grip type to more of a gear looking type like most newer cars have. Anyone know of any that fit?

Quick Reply: Trans Am/Camaro Interior Switch Decals?