Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

DIY center console lid

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

that first one is ghetto as **** ,things like this and people that find that acceptable are what gives our cars a bad reputation.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
that first one is ghetto as **** ,things like this and people that find that acceptable are what gives our cars a bad reputation.
The exact thought that popped into my head! I'm a cheapass college student, but if I do something, I want to do it right. If I can't do it right then I won't do it at all. I try my best to avoid the mulletmobile designation.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tolley's94z28
The exact thought that popped into my head! I'm a cheapass college student, but if I do something, I want to do it right. If I can't do it right then I won't do it at all. I try my best to avoid the mulletmobile designation.
Thought the same to... Kinda reminds me of when I was on the j-body forums years ago. Reminds me of posts I would see all the time. I know they are kind of expensive but Id rather just spend the money and do it right the first time.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I think this could be done pretty good with wood as a support, need good moldable foam, redline cover and a good plastic or sheet metal piece to finish off the bottom to cover up the wood and staples on the bottom.
This post gave me some ideas, so thanks OP
Old 03-26-2014, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
Originally Posted by Tolley's94z28
Did you guys even read the OP? They guy made this so he has some sort of an arm rest until he can find something better. In other words...it's TEMPORARY!!! It may be ghetto in your eyes, but for someone who made this with a Dremel and doesn't have sheet metal shears, I think he did a pretty decent job.

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
I think this could be done pretty good with wood as a support, need good moldable foam, redline cover and a good plastic or sheet metal piece to finish off the bottom to cover up the wood and staples on the bottom.
This post gave me some ideas, so thanks OP

X2....got me thinking of what I can do to!
Old 03-26-2014, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DOC-Z
Did you guys even read the OP? They guy made this so he has some sort of an arm rest until he can find something better. In other words...it's TEMPORARY!!! It may be ghetto in your eyes, but for someone who made this with a Dremel and doesn't have sheet metal shears, I think he did a pretty decent job.

X2....got me thinking of what I can do to!
Seriously! These guys are talking like they knew how do everything perfect the first time. This bull about do it right or don't bother is stupid. How are you supposed to figure out what works and what doesn't till you try it??

The guy had a problem and fixed it WITHOUT just settling for the god awful replacement piece.

There's always a better way to do something, but trying it yourself and learning what you can do to improve is what this whole sport is about. Anybody can BUY the damn piece, but what's the fun in that? Sure it ain't pretty right now, but he can always improve on what he's learned from here. How about you guys give him some useful advice instead of bashing what someone did with their own hands and very limited resources! If you can't do that then stfu
Old 03-26-2014, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the support, and last I checked this was a forum. Forum being a place the share ideas. The ideas of using different types of foam has helped. As stated originally I didn't have that many materials readily available, and imo it looks better than a hole in the console with my registration in it, seeing as it didnt have a lid at all. But tge vinyl and foam ideas are in the works.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Btw, for it being "redneck" I'm not ashamed of ingenuity with what materials you have. Sure anyone with 50k could make a b.a. f body all done "right" and top notch materials and parts. Those of us who aren't make do. And I think this could have got a lot more "redneck".
Old 03-26-2014, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by countryguy1717
last I checked this was a forum. Forum being a place the share ideas. .
Yes it is. And a place to get feedback from ideas. Don't get all butthurt because some of us don't like the idea. Get thicker skin.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like it. Better than what I can come up with. Think $100 for a lid sucks? Try having a 93-96 Camaro. Most are close if not over $200.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tipnitty
Yes it is. And a place to get feedback from ideas. Don't get all butthurt because some of us don't like the idea. Get thicker skin.
I'm not butt hurt about anything. Its still on my car and will be until i replace it.I just see it as a respect issue. Some without accepting what was said in the op just sound like d bags(another opinion other than redneck that give our cars a bad rep) Other people voiced their opposing opinions without that persona.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not butt hurt about anything. Its still on my car and will be until i replace it.I just see it as a respect issue. Some without accepting what was said in the op just sound like d bags(another opinion other than redneck that give our cars a bad rep) Other people voiced their opposing opinions without that persona.
first off, this is the internet, the place of BRUTAL honesty, if your gonna get offended because some one calls what your doing pure crap then maybe you shouldn't be online.

secondly, not that I need to replace mine but this did give me the idea that you could take 2 or 3 pieces of 3/4" MDF, cut larger then the widest width and longest depth measurement, then glue them together and use a "mouse" (or similar) sander with a heavy grit paper (like 60 grit) to shape it then wrap it with a thin foam and vinyl from like Hobby Lobby, then it would just be a matter of finishing the underside, might take twice the time to do but would look much cleaner. what you did looks like you just rushed through it in 30 minutes and didn't even try to get it to look decent.

I'm gonna look at my scrap MDF pile this weekend and see what I have to see if I could mock one up real quick.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
first off, this is the internet, the place of BRUTAL honesty, if your gonna get offended because some one calls what your doing pure crap then maybe you shouldn't be online.

secondly, not that I need to replace mine but this did give me the idea that you could take 2 or 3 pieces of 3/4" MDF, cut larger then the widest width and longest depth measurement, then glue them together and use a "mouse" (or similar) sander with a heavy grit paper (like 60 grit) to shape it then wrap it with a thin foam and vinyl from like Hobby Lobby, then it would just be a matter of finishing the underside, might take twice the time to do but would look much cleaner. what you did looks like you just rushed through it in 30 minutes and didn't even try to get it to look decent.

I'm gonna look at my scrap MDF pile this weekend and see what I have to see if I could mock one up real quick.
I'm not contesting that this is the prime place where anyone can be the biggest badest talking man alive behind their keyboard. That's obvious, I was just expressing a seemingly simple upbringing characteristic of respect that I try to show regardless of being safeguardee by a computer. I am looking forward to your rendition of a center console lid.

Post it up when you're done! Give the rest of us ideas
Old 03-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Btw, for it being "redneck" I'm not ashamed of ingenuity with what materials you have. Sure anyone with 50k could make a b.a. f body all done "right" and top notch materials and parts. Those of us who aren't make do. And I think this could have got a lot more "redneck".
lol relax buddy. Believe me I know what having no money is. I am a college student that cant find part time job and lives from washing other peoples cars for a few bucks. I pay my gas, cell, and anything I need. Yet I still try not to half *** anything I do. It may take me a little longer but if I am doing something custom I am doing it and try t make it look better than factory, not slapping cloth on plywood.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EdgarB
lol relax buddy. Believe me I know what having no money is. I am a college student that cant find part time job and lives from washing other peoples cars for a few bucks. I pay my gas, cell, and anything I need. Yet I still try not to half *** anything I do. It may take me a little longer but if I am doing something custom I am doing it and try t make it look better than factory, not slapping cloth on plywood.
Hah man I wasn't taking you're post as offensive, i found it funny. Because it is! I agree with the idea of doing things to the best of your ability. But for now, for me this is a temp fix with what I had laying around. I used to be fine off financially, now I make due with what I've got. You're comment wasnt offensive. no worries
Old 03-26-2014, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Countryguy, I agree with some people around here. If this is what you had lying around hell yes damn good job! Of course are there ways for improvement? Yes but that's what ls1tech is for.... advice and guidance if not good at something... Ive come here many times for issues google would not resolve and have found my fix. Since I understand this is a temp fix I think its great. I myself lean my elbow hardcore on my center lid all the time so know what its like not having one. Keep up the positive attitude. Most people around here can only do it right the first time. Personally, I have to fail before I succeed usually. Good job man!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:04 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I think its a good first attempt. Has me tempted to make one, but a bit better formed and with the underside trimmed.

I've already repaired my stock one more than once with plastic epoxy, JB Weld, and metal in places for reinforcement, but it just cracks in new places.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:48 AM
TECH Addict

If nothing else you've inspired people to come up with a better way to do it.

if I remember on my way out tomorrow I'll look at my scrap MDF pile, but I don' expect to find any pieces that large and let you know.

EDIT: yup, non of my scrap is large enough, the only piece long enough is not wide enough, will have to wait till I can source some more scrap (build another box).

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 03-27-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
If nothing else you've inspired people to come up with a better way to do it.

if I remember on my way out tomorrow I'll look at my scrap MDF pile, but I don' expect to find any pieces that large and let you know.

EDIT: yup, non of my scrap is large enough, the only piece long enough is not wide enough, will have to wait till I can source some more scrap (build another box).
Do you think mdf is better than regular wood? I have some scrap mdf. Id just need to find the right foam and vinyl
Old 03-27-2014, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This makes me want to go out to the junkyard and personally send you a console lid from one of the 5 fbodies they have there.

Quick Reply: DIY center console lid