Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Need grant steering wheel adaptor

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need grant steering wheel adaptor

Like the title Saids I'm looking for the adaptor to mount my gt grant steering wheel to my steering column. I can't seem to find it on grants website. Anybody know where I can find one? Or what do I use?
Old 07-04-2014, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you mind letting me know how this goes. I really want to swap steering wheels but keep coming up on threads like this.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
Would you mind letting me know how this goes. I really want to swap steering wheels but keep coming up on threads like this.
I keep seeing people post pics of the gauges and stuff and I see them with grant steering wheels but I can't seem to find out how to attach it.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:47 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Nothing A little duct tape can't fix.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

search in summit or jegs for the 3rd gen ... because removing the airbag is not permitted by law (lol) they are not listed for the 4th gens
Old 07-04-2014, 11:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Look under "Steering Wheel Installation Kits" on Summit Racing or on the Grant website, and you'll find what you're looking for.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to elaborate on what others are saying order the grant wheel kit for the 3rd gen year f bodies. It will work but you will have to either shave your steering column plastic down a bit or shave down the adapter ring a little or they will rub and hinder your ability to turn the wheel. At least this happened to me you may not have this issue. Also you will need to run some resistors in the airbag wiring to fool the car into thinking it is still there. I think I used two 5 ohm resistors it has been ahwile. Gl.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1964_442
search in summit or jegs for the 3rd gen ... because removing the airbag is not permitted by law (lol) they are not listed for the 4th gens
The car manufacture is required by law, but once the car is yours you can remove it if you want. Now if you want to sell it car to a dealership then you'll have to reinstall the factory safety equipment. I removed my factory steering wheel and air bag several yrs a ago when the aluminum hoop in the wheel broke. I figured since I didn't buy a Camaro for its safety features in the first place, an I don't feel any safer with having a airbag I figured I'd I'd buy what I wanted(Momo), since I needed to buy a new steering wheel anyway. After several I still have no regrets with removing it , and I still feel safer without it.
IMO buy what you want and enjoy it!

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 07-05-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NightwalkerLS1
Just to elaborate on what others are saying order the grant wheel kit for the 3rd gen year f bodies. It will work but you will have to either shave your steering column plastic down a bit or shave down the adapter ring a little or they will rub and hinder your ability to turn the wheel. At least this happened to me you may not have this issue. Also you will need to run some resistors in the airbag wiring to fool the car into thinking it is still there. I think I used two 5 ohm resistors it has been ahwile. Gl.
Yeah, I had to have my Momo adapter put on a lathe and shortened about 5/16" to avoid any clearance issues. I also wired in a 2.2ohm resistor between the yellow air bag wires to mine to simulate roughly the same resistance to keep the airbag light off.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Cool thank you, so 3rd gen adaptor and maybe a lil shaving, and some resistors to keep the light off. Passenger bag is out to so my light may stay on
Old 07-05-2014, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I could be wrong but I think you'll need to wire in a resister for the passenger side air bag also since it's already removed. If you do need to shave down the base of the mount ring have it done on a lathe, that way you'll have a smooth straight cut that'll keep it looking good. If you do try and free hand cut it and don't get it almost perfect you'll notice every time you get in the car. Any way that's why I had mine trimmed down on a lathe at a local machine shop.

Quick Reply: Need grant steering wheel adaptor