Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

New Headlight Style Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 02:55 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

This headlight retrofit on a Miata may interest you:
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...h-quad-Mini-H1
He used the Morimoto Mini-H1 6.0. I'd recommend the new D2S 3.0 version instead if you can fit it (it is slightly larger than the Mini H1 6.0). Also, this setup is not completely sealed, but that can be mended a bit.

On second thought, the Morimoto D2S 3.0 may be too tall. It uses a 3.0" lens. The Moriomoto Mini H1 6.0 uses a 2.5" lens.

However, there is a version of the Mini D2S that has a 2.5" Square lens instead of round.

If you want smaller, you can try Corvette C6 projectors. TRS has them in the Closeout section for $25. That's too cheap. Hopefully nothing wrong with them.

None of these are sealed projectors. You'll have to build a housing to contain them. The link above has one way to do it, but it still isn't completely sealed.

Last edited by VIP1; 07-21-2014 at 03:15 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not a fan of the sleepy eye look. to me it looks like somethings wrong with them. but to each his own
Old 07-24-2014, 06:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VIP1
He used the Morimoto Mini-H1 6.0. I'd recommend the new D2S 3.0 version instead if you can fit it (it is slightly larger than the Mini H1 6.0). Also, this setup is not completely sealed, but that can be mended a bit.
This is actually really helpful... hopefully I can do something like this to finish mine out, since the fiberglass housing I tried to make didn't seal well enough and the bowls on my MH1s corroded pretty bad.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VIP1

On second thought, the Morimoto D2S 3.0 may be too tall. It uses a 3.0" lens. The Moriomoto Mini H1 6.0 uses a 2.5" lens.

However, there is a version of the Mini D2S that has a 2.5" Square lens instead of round.

If you want smaller, you can try Corvette C6 projectors. TRS has them in the Closeout section for $25. That's too cheap. Hopefully nothing wrong with them.

None of these are sealed projectors. You'll have to build a housing to contain them. The link above has one way to do it, but it still isn't completely sealed.
Yea I read that one before thanks though.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the sleepy eye look could be pulled off with the right HIDs, custom shroud, and having the outside covers be as horizontal to the ground as possible when opened. The only time anyone on the road is going to be able to see it anyway is going to be in inclement weather, and I doubt they'll be too focused on your car in that situation (hopefully). This is all assuming they would still be able to open and close, and only be open when the lights are on.

I personally don't like fixed headlights on the birds. I think they look terrible in the daylight. It messes with the overall look of the car, in a bad way. Again, this is all opinion.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

OK, I see one thing alot of you guys seem to be unaware of, getting the headlights to stop raising halfway up is actually relatively easy (and they would still close like normal).

this is because of how are headlights raise, are headlights have this little "swing arm" that rotates (down by the headlight motor) and when that arm hits the "stop" the current load increases and that tell the motor to stop, due to this all you have to do is create a new "stop" for the arm to hit positioned to allow the headlight to raise to your desired height and you will still have functioning pop-ups just now they are sleepy eyes.

Quick Reply: New Headlight Style Opinions