Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

If you needed yet another reason to avoid drive-thru car washes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you needed yet another reason to avoid drive-thru car washes...

Just a quick backstory:

Had to run to the local home improvement store this past weekend. Stopped to get gas when I was leaving, and the station had one of the drive-thru washes that so many of them have. As I filled up and was driving away, I couldn't help but notice the somewhat startling condition of the brushes in the wash bay:

Of course, the first thought that crossed my mind, and I'm sure the same as all of you, was "STAY AWAY!!!"

However, I have some prototype goods at home that need some testing. Because of this, I made a sacrifice for the greater good, and $8, much gnashing of teeth, and about 90 seconds of tears later, here is what my paint looked like in the bright sun later that day:

And the following morning in different light:

In the interest of full disclosure, my paint was not perfect before hand, but I'd say 95%+. Since the last correction, I've done 2 2-bucket washes and 3 Rinseless Washes on it. Being black, there was a light amount of wash damage that could be seen. However, the amount of damage that this single wash inflicted upon it was pretty shocking, wouldn't you agree?!?
Old 07-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Teching In

I've always been against car washes whether its the power wash or the brush wash. Too much that could/ can go wrong to mess up paint or strip off badging. Its amazing how that one wash made yours look like that. But at least now you can try to fix it with those prototype goods to see how they work!
Old 07-24-2014, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to powerwash my 92 dakota... because its an old pickup and i dont care... but I lost about 3' of my dakota sport vynl cause of that lol... so i immediately stopped! lmao.

Yeah I avoid auto washers with cars I really care about
Old 07-24-2014, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was in college I worked at a car wash one summer. Several times a shift we would have to walk thru the car wash to pick up side mirrors, hub caps, antennas, moldings, etc. Very rarely did anyone come back to complain.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have seen antennas wrapped up in the rotary brushes on those kind on washes ...... so no way I am taking any of my rides in there. No telling if the guy before you lost his antenna and had it get hung up in the brushes just for you to come along and have it beat the sh%^ out of your car.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everytime i see someone at the car wash, auto or brush, i remember, the time i saw the most mud covered truck id ever seen, guy bdushing it like crazy, and hanging the brush up and leaving, saw a nice car, lincoln pull in that bay. i actualy walked from the vaccum ( the only thing i use there) and told her she may wanna use a different bay, and why. she thanked me. makes my skin crawl to think of using them. and my car is no show car, but still.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I stay away from those.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

I worked at a dealership and we got new cars in plastic that we have to prep for the lot. On black cars, the finish is damn near perfect before hand but dirty. We have this old automatic car wash we take them through and i've seen first hand on many occasions the difference from before and after the car wash. You can clearly see the marks from those "flappy" things dragging across the paint.

On another note, When you order a car from the dealership, Request them to leave it as it got off the truck. Youll save yourself a TON of time in the end.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BladeX10
Request them to leave it as it got off the truck. Youll save yourself a TON of time in the end.
I do this many times on a daily basis, tell people to have their car left as is when it arrives at the dealer.

It's unfortunate that this has to be the case, but no dealership prep guy will "prep" your car as well as you will....that is, if you're a little crazy about detailing.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, enlighten us on how to bring it back to glory.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

Old 07-27-2014, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

Had one the other day rip off the small windshield wiper on my G8 those things are a biotch to find. They said they don't own the car wash and could just give me a free one... no thank you.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

All the car washes around here are the pressure washer type nothing touches the car like that crap pictured above.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ssjason232
Well, enlighten us on how to bring it back to glory.
It's on the agenda for later this week. A little time with Paint Correcting Polish, Orange Microfiber Pads, and the Cyclo will bring her back to glory.

Originally Posted by EFoxwell
So much win right there!!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why would you risk instilling RIDS in your paint and polishing off precious clear coat just to prove that those car washes suck? I hope that's your beater and not a nice car.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Years ago a driver smashed my car into the wall of the car wash. I don't know how he managed to do it. That was an expensive wash for them.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Banned

I used to detail cars for a living before i joined the military and i still do every now and then for extra cash. There is a reason why i hand wash every black car and your car is the prime example.

Quick Reply: If you needed yet another reason to avoid drive-thru car washes...