Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Review: 6LE/MRC Style Racing Seats from Ebay Vendor

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014 | 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Default Review: 6LE/MRC Style Racing Seats from Ebay Vendor

As stated in another thread,
I have ordered a set of racing seats from an ebay vendor for around 340 dollars. The seats appeared to be the same as the 6LE seats made by Mad Racing Concepts (MRC) back in the day.

I just got them in tonight and I can say they are the same frame and style as the MRC seats. The leather is genuine all throughout where as typically you get leather on the padding then vinyl on the sides. These seats are leather on the whole exterior.

Who ever is making these seats has done a great job. Quality of the leather is good, the sytle and texture being similar to leather chairs you get for an office.

I have a Cobalt with the Recaro racing seats and while these seats are not as comfortable as the Recaro's they are a leap and bound ahead of the stock Camaro seats by far.

They are comfortable to sit in and they do hold you in place. The side bolsters are a little closer then the MRC/6LE seats by about an inch according to measurements. This means a little tightness in the side area but it's a well fitting press. Not hard or forceful. Almost as if my body is perfect fitting to it. And I am not a small guy, I am decently barrel chested. Measurement on side bolsters came out to 21 inches while 6LE list the measurements on theirs as being 22 inches.

Could be difference in manufacturing or could be me just measuring wrong, I have not sat in a 6LE seat to compare.

Otherwise everything is identical in look to the 6LE seat and at 340 bucks it's pretty crazy how nice these seats are. I've bought cheap ebay racing seats before for a third gen and they were........ok? Not much padding, stiff, they did the job and at 220 bucks it wasn't terrible but it wasn't great either.

But these seats are like I said, leaps and bounds ahead of the stock Camaro seats in terms of comfort. I highly recommend. I'll be working on mounting the brackets in the next few days. I do like the sliders that are provided but with out extensive modification I'm not sure they can be adapted to the stock frame.

But we'll see.
Pics below:

Old 09-03-2014 | 07:49 AM
Staging Lane

I'm interested after you mount them if they sit as low as stock seats. I've had aftermarket seats in the past and they always sat high....
Old 09-03-2014 | 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice seats, look forward to seeing them mounted!
Old 09-03-2014 | 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

$340 + shipping I assume?

They look sweet!
Old 09-03-2014 | 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ThoR294
$340 + shipping I assume?

They look sweet!
340 was the total including shipping.
Old 09-03-2014 | 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

look good. i ran across these after i bought some from amazon. what are yor plans fxor brackets to mount them? thata where i had problems.
Old 09-03-2014 | 09:28 PM
On The Tree

I'm going to use the stock rails and brackets. It requires fabricating a flat piece of metal long ways on both sides to act as the adapter between the seat mounting and the original mount point on the bracket. Since the seat will not bolt to the bracket as is you need to adapt to it. This will cause the seat base to sit roughly 7/16 of an inch higher as it lays on the metal first before going into the bracket.

I'll post pics but the concept is exactly the same as what 6LE has on their forum for installing these seats.

As long as you have access to a dremel to cut the metal, and a power drill with the right size and type drill bits. Then you can make the adapter bracket pretty cheap. I bought the metal from home depot for around 24 dollars and it's enough to do both seats and still have left over. I'll need some nuts and bolts and what not but that would be around 5 dollars at a local hardware store for all that. So if you already have the tools then making brackets is about 30 bucks.

I'll post pics once I start modifying the brackets.
Old 09-07-2014 | 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Alrighty, the seats are now mounted in my car.
I didn't take any pics of building the brackets as the procedure is literally the same as what is shown in 6LE's writeup on making adapter brackets.

I'm very happy with these seats. Much more comfortable then stock by far. Since I had to use the spacers to make adaquete clearance for the lever release on the Camaro brackets, the seat does sit higher then stock. By about 1 to 2 inches. I am 5 foot 10 and have no issues but my head is pretty close to the ceiling if I recline the seat up fully. For those who like to sit low, you would be best to either purchase brackets from a company or weld your own so as to sit lower. For me the seats are perfect at that height, it lets me see over the nose better but everyone has their own preference.

Posted below is the pics of the seats in the car. I kept my power tracs and the driver seat is functional. Later I'll go back and mount the side piece that holds the toggle switches, for now I just have the console tucked under the seat.

The seats themselves sit higher not so much from the spacers but the fact the seat cushion is raised higher then stock seats.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 09-09-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-08-2014 | 10:28 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I like my 6LE seats. Very comfortable for me.
Old 09-09-2014 | 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

are they any lighter than stock?
Old 09-09-2014 | 08:56 PM
On The Tree

I didn't weigh them so not sure on what it comes to but from lifting the original seats and these seats. They weigh close to the same I would reckon. The new ones might weigh a little more but if so it's only a few pounds at most, but like I said. I didn't weigh them so not sure.
Old 09-09-2014 | 09:16 PM
Super Hulk Smash

They are definitely lighter than Trans Am seats. The drivers seat for the Trans Am is almost 50lbs.
Old 09-09-2014 | 10:09 PM
On The Tree

50 lbs 0.0 wow. Yeah my stock seats were cloth seats so just to clarify. Wow 50...that's crazy.
Old 09-09-2014 | 10:22 PM
Super Hulk Smash

That included the power stuff and the bracket. It was a beast. I didn't notice as much of a difference with the passenger seat. So I figure the 6LE seats are maybe 30-35lbs with the bracket?
Old 09-10-2014 | 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

yeah i figured our seats were god awfully heavy. I would just have to think if black seats would look good with my graphite interior lol
Old 09-26-2014 | 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Well so far I'm loving these seats.
Just finished a mod for them. I notice most people put the GM Performance Division emblem in the belt guide slot. Well it helps to have family with their own personal CNC machine. I just finished making my own custom piece. Decided on the old school 69 font.

What's your thoughts?

Old 09-26-2014 | 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good.
Old 10-03-2014 | 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

could you pm me the ebay vendor, werewolf? thanks!
Old 10-03-2014 | 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good, really like the looks of these seats and the price is right. Too bad I'm so fat.

I like the stock TA seats a lot but they do weight a good amount too.
Old 10-03-2014 | 02:13 PM
On The Tree

I just replied to Camaro Ryder, unfortunately the ebay vendor has doubled the price on the seats. They must of started getting a lot of sales and upped the price or something. At this point in time it's 650 for both seats. Which is a shame as they are really nice seats. I did find a few other vendors on ebay with the same seat but didn't save that info as I had bought mine and no longer needed it. Trying to track them down will take some leg work as there is no brand name to go by. You'll have to compare pics of the seats.

If it's shiny then it's typically pvc leather which you don't want. You want to look two things. The racing harness section being the same as in my pics with a recessed area (where I put my emblem) and that the leather has that bump texture to it as you can see in close up on mine.

Best of luck, they are really great seats, it's a shame the vendor upped the price.

Quick Reply: Review: 6LE/MRC Style Racing Seats from Ebay Vendor