Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone have problems with HID fogs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 01:12 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 188 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
What does that have to do with the bulbs casting useable light on the roadway professor?
Everything. If the hot spot is in the wrong place, the optics aren't used properly and you don't get as much usable light where it needs to be.

I haven't had anyone flash their brights at me so they must be focused correcly. Most foglights can be adjusted to aim the properly.
That is not an indicator or excuse for poor lighting. Aiming down to compensate for altered beam pattern is not "aim them properly". There is still glare and the beam pattern is still wrong. Also, it shortens your distance vision since your eyes will focus on the brighter pool of light in front of the car and the distance will appear darker.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:19 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I think your Buick has projector fogs so that will mitigate any issues due to the cutoff shield inside. Reflector housings don't have that.
Although glare will be less, the other problems will still exist. Such as hot spot in the wrong place not properly using the optics.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Regal doesn't have projector foglights but it does have projector factory HID headlights. When I turned on the foglights with the stock halogen bulbs they didn't light up the roadway since the HID headlights overpowered the foglights, but with the LED bulbs the foglights are visible on the roadway so they are definitely a lot brighter now.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Regal doesn't have projector foglights but it does have projector factory HID headlights. When I turned on the foglights with the stock halogen bulbs they didn't light up the roadway since the HID headlights overpowered the foglights, but with the LED bulbs the foglights are visible on the roadway so they are definitely a lot brighter now.

Just drop it, sparky and vip1 will argue all day about doing proper retrofits and not just slapping bulbs in there. A few years ago when hid kits first started coming out I think I went three pages arguing with them, and even posted the dot safety code which specifies any type of bulb style deemed non factory is illegal. Mainly because they kept saYing hid kits are illegal

All headlights produce glare. Properly aimed projectors just minimize the glare output by focusing the beam

Factory hid in reflector housings have been aligned properly to meet dot regulation codes. In Europe and the UK headlight glare is part of the yearly mot vehicle testing and makes them really illegal if not factory
Old 02-06-2015, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Just drop it, sparky and vip1 will argue all day about doing proper retrofits and not just slapping bulbs in there. A few years ago when hid kits first started coming out I think I went three pages arguing with them, and even posted the dot safety code which specifies any type of bulb style deemed non factory is illegal. Mainly because they kept saYing hid kits are illegal

All headlights produce glare. Properly aimed projectors just minimize the glare output by focusing the beam

Factory hid in reflector housings have been aligned properly to meet dot regulation codes. In Europe and the UK headlight glare is part of the yearly mot vehicle testing and makes them really illegal if not factory
For good reason...
Yes all headlights can and do produce glare, but why just throw even more out there than necessary? As you said, projectors minimized that glare. Isn't that a good thing?

Yes we realize that technically any headlight modification is illegal as that config has not been certified by DOT. Still doesn't mean we should just say "screw everyone else" and do it improperly just because we're being cheap.

Factory HID that are in reflectors are in reflectors that are designed for them. HID reflectors are way different than halogen reflectors as far as focusing, beam control, etc.

I feel like every nitty gritty detail has been gone over with you in the past. Guess you still insist on having that bone to pick with us because we insist on doing things the right way and care about both our own vision and other drivers. Sorry that bothers you so much
Old 02-06-2015, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
For good reason...
Yes all headlights can and do produce glare, but why just throw even more out there than necessary? As you said, projectors minimized that glare. Isn't that a good thing?

Yes we realize that technically any headlight modification is illegal as that config has not been certified by DOT. Still doesn't mean we should just say "screw everyone else" and do it improperly just because we're being cheap.

Factory HID that are in reflectors are in reflectors that are designed for them. HID reflectors are way different than halogen reflectors as far as focusing, beam control, etc.

I feel like every nitty gritty detail has been gone over with you in the past. Guess you still insist on having that bone to pick with us because we insist on doing things the right way and care about both our own vision and other drivers. Sorry that bothers you so much
I agreed with you in my post, I didn't mean to offend you. I just stated that arguments about glare are completely useless if you are just going by line of vision to on coming traffic.

For my daily driven vehicles I prefer halogen bulbs just because they are less hassle to deal with. In the fog lights particularly I had problems blowing out ballasts, and if you see my post on page 1 I did not recommend hid bulbs.

But just to egg you on, of the 5 vehicles I own the only one with hid headlights are the camaro they are blue and they have lasted 7 years on the original set of bulbs and ballasts. I only care about the color lol

I will say though, I hate with a passion any suv or truck with hid bulbs in halogen housings. There is a lifted silverado that literally blinds everyone on the road in town.

With the modified car scene literally dying I'm more annoyed with drivers who have a low beam out and drive with the high beams on everywhere for months at a time

Last edited by chrysler kid; 02-06-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:43 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

RedHotG8 & chrysler kid: If you don't like the truth ignore it and do what you want. However when you try to convince others to do the wrong thing there will always be those of us to point that out.

Last edited by VIP1; 02-06-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
I agreed with you in my post, I didn't mean to offend you. I just stated that arguments about glare are completely useless if you are just going by line of vision to on coming traffic.

For my daily driven vehicles I prefer halogen bulbs just because they are less hassle to deal with. In the fog lights particularly I had problems blowing out ballasts, and if you see my post on page 1 I did not recommend hid bulbs.

But just to egg you on, of the 5 vehicles I own the only one with hid headlights are the camaro they are blue and they have lasted 7 years on the original set of bulbs and ballasts. I only care about the color lol

I will say though, I hate with a passion any suv or truck with hid bulbs in halogen housings. There is a lifted silverado that literally blinds everyone on the road in town.

With the modified car scene literally dying I'm more annoyed with drivers who have a low beam out and drive with the high beams on everywhere for months at a time
Nah you didn't offend me, takes a heck of a lot more than that to do so

I agree with you on the morons driving with high beams on all the time. I seem to be seeing more and more of that. Quad HIDs on my Camaro flashed at them though usually gets the point across lol.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

so back to topic I got the fog LEDs and reverse light LEDs and went ahead and installed them

No glare at all and they look just right IMO. Its cool white so it has no blue hue to it.
As expected they do not produce more light than the stock halogen bulbs it came with. But thats not an issue in my case. If youre looking for max light output from your fogs, these arent what youre looking for.

And the reverse lights

They match the fog lights perfectly but do not produce any more light than stock halogens either. I have 5% tint in the rear hatch so ive always struggled to see behind me at night, and these dont help much at all. I have to use the brake light to illuminate behind me.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i did full LEDs in my tail lights. Its amazing how much brighter they are, and the back up light ACTUALLY helps you see behind you now lol
Old 02-07-2015, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIP1
RedHotG8 & chrysler kid: If you don't like the truth ignore it and do what you want. However when you try to convince others to do the wrong thing there will always be those of us to point that out.
The truth is the LED bulbs don't glare in non-projector housings so obviously you can't accept the truth. Real world results are better than someone's flawed theory.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

The truth is the LED bulbs don't glare in non-projector housings so obviously you can't accept the truth. Real world results are better than someone's flawed theory.
I think they meant HID bulbs cause glare on non projector housings. And that i see all around.

If its LEDs then youre right, at least on my case, they havent caused any glare. But then again light output isnt as good as halogen bulbs.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the dude should address the right person then because I never said anything about HID's in the foglights. The Cree LED bulbs are much brighter than halogen bulbs, that's what I have in my foglights.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

Well the dude should address the right person then because I never said anything about HID's in the foglights. The Cree LED bulbs are much brighter than halogen bulbs, that's what I have in my foglights.
Yeah it looks like HIDs and LEDs are being confused here.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Which LED bulbs did you get and from who? I'd like to install some in my Camaro fogs. If it's not a sponsor can you PM me? I'm tired of the yellowish color in my fogs.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If not LED, you can get silverstar bulbs and they will give the LED appearance. That is what I did
Old 02-08-2015, 04:22 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by Zlow28
I think they meant HID bulbs cause glare on non projector housings. And that i see all around.

If its LEDs then youre right, at least on my case, they havent caused any glare. But then again light output isnt as good as halogen bulbs.
No I didn't address the wrong person. It doesn't matter if it is HID or LED. The Arc or Diode in these kits is not the right shape or in the right place to produce the same beam pattern. The beam pattern will be altered negatively. That could mean horrendous glare, or it could mean a useless beam pattern. Yes light will be emitted from the housing, but it won't be going where it was designed and will be less useful. You'll lose distance vision for a start.

It also doesn't matter if it is Reflector or Projector. The Current LED Kits don't properly use the reflector to be useful/proper for main forward lighting. You may see more foreground lighting, but less distance lighting which is actually more important.

Its simple physics backed up by plenty of output pictures. If you want to prove me wrong, then give proof other than "it looks good to me" or a pic of the ground. Have one housing with the stock bulb and one housing with the new LED. Park 25ft from a flat white wall and take pics.

Reverse or taillights are a different scenario since you don't really need distance vision with taillights and most reverse lights are so dim and designed as a flood light or merely an indicator anyway.

The exception is that some Halogen Projectors handle HID alight, but I have not yet seen any LED Kits that work correctly in any Projector or Reflector Headlight.

Like I said earlier, if you don't like the truth, ignore it and do what you want. However when you try to convince others to do the wrong thing there will always be those of us to point that out.

Last edited by VIP1; 02-08-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:00 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Check out these threads to see what I mean about a ruined beam pattern:
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...output-picture
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...rojector/page6
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ht-Bulbs/page8

Last edited by VIP1; 02-12-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by L3THAL_Z28
Which LED bulbs did you get and from who? I'd like to install some in my Camaro fogs. If it's not a sponsor can you PM me? I'm tired of the yellowish color in my fogs.
theyre from super bright leds, part number 880-xHP9. They are the cool white color.
However as mentioned before , you will loose a bit of usable light with these but wont create glare.

Just double check that camaros use the same bulb for fogs.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Your theory is flawed, all light bulbs emit glare.

He is addressing the fog light assembly it self. The fog lights do not focus any light pattern they merely reflect the light from the bulb in a non directional unfocused pattern. Any brighter element will increase glare.

His statements are based on lighting conversions that are done to increase usable light and not just a quick fix with brighter bulbs

Originally Posted by VIP1
I'm eargerly awaiting your write up for projector retrofit turn signal housings again I am against hid's for a daily driven car as they seem to be more problematic. I've had them fail me once on state inspection because my lights were to blue

Silverstars are terrible, they last a year or so then you have to pay another $60 for them. One of the main reasons I went to hid in the first place.

The best bulbs for the money IMO are the sylvania xtravision

Led light bulbs seems to have issues with quality control, they always seem to burn out or start flickering and only last me six months on a good set. But then again I get my stuff off of amazon.

If you have a set of led brake light bulbs that have all lasted over a year please post up, mine all burn up in six months

Last edited by chrysler kid; 02-08-2015 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone have problems with HID fogs?