Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Zaino best products for detailing black ws6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Zaino best products for detailing black ws6?

Normally I'm just an "off-the-shelf" wash/polish/wax product(s) guy, but I'm now looking to really give my black Trans am ws6 it's showroom finish again.

I've heard great things about Zaino, but am still open to other suggestions.

If zaino is a route you guys approve, what products do you suggest? There are so many on their website, it's a bit hazy to know exactly what is REALLY needed.

Thanks! I'll post before/after pics as well
Old 03-17-2015, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I used Meguiars Ultimate compound + Ultimate polish with a DA with amazing results. I had some pretty deep scratches on my front bumper right above the plate where I popped the clutch in a parking garage and went into a chain link fence (It was a while ago ). And now as you can see they're gone. Even from a foot away, you can hardly see them:

If anything, it's more about 'how' you apply it than what product you use. Get a DA if you don't already have one, will get better results in a much, much shorter time
Old 03-18-2015, 12:28 AM
Launching!

Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Zaino - Z2, Z5 & Z8 on black:

Old 03-18-2015, 02:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Zaino is one of the top stuff you can use
Old 03-18-2015, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You'll get all types of responses from guys who have their "favorite" products. In the end, they all pretty much do the same thing and will provide you with the same results. More important than the finishing products you use is what you did prior to that to prep the paint for your desired finishing product. On a black vehicle, the best thing to do is wash and clay bar the car so that you get every last bit of wax and other foreign objects out of the paint, then you'll want to do a multi stage paint correction (depending on the condition of the paint, but with it being black, I'm sure there is spider-webbing and marring), and then applying your finishing products. No matter what product you use, if the paint hasn't been treated right, it's not going to provide you with that amazing shine and finish like you can see in some of the above pictures.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
You'll get all types of responses from guys who have their "favorite" products. In the end, they all pretty much do the same thing and will provide you with the same results. More important than the finishing products you use is what you did prior to that to prep the paint for your desired finishing product. On a black vehicle, the best thing to do is wash and clay bar the car so that you get every last bit of wax and other foreign objects out of the paint, then you'll want to do a multi stage paint correction (depending on the condition of the paint, but with it being black, I'm sure there is spider-webbing and marring), and then applying your finishing products. No matter what product you use, if the paint hasn't been treated right, it's not going to provide you with that amazing shine and finish like you can see in some of the above pictures.
By multi-stage paint correction, what specific steps and products do you recommend?

I do not have a DA orbital buffer, but I'll pick one up today (6")
Old 03-18-2015, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

There are numerous paint correction products on the market. I will only speak for what I've used, and that's the Adams 1 and 2 paint correction polishes. They were easy to use, they come as a kit on the Adams website with pads matched to the color of the polishes themselves, and they provided me with great results. The first time I ever did anything like that was a few years ago when I did a full paint correction on my WS6, and I finished everything off with Adams Brilliant Glaze and Adams Americana Wax. Since then, I've done several other vehicles and the results turned out the same.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirts11
By multi-stage paint correction, what specific steps and products do you recommend?

I do not have a DA orbital buffer, but I'll pick one up today (6")
Start here:

Watch all the parts. I think there are four. That should get you started.

Detailing is 90% technique and 10% products. Sure some products make the job a bit easier, especially on certain types of paint, but you needs the skills to use them first. You would be surprised what a Harbor Freight DA, a few Lake Country Hydro-tech pads, and some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Polish can do with the right technique.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also use adams stuff. The only bad part is that youll soon find yourself spending more money on detailing products than performance parts lol.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zlow28
I also use adams stuff. The only bad part is that youll soon find yourself spending more money on detailing products than performance parts lol.
I doubt that. Learning to use a DA is key. Watch "junkman's" videos on YouTube. Then, it's all about putting what you learned watching into practice.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with this. There are so many products on the market that can accomplish the task.

If you are looking for over the counter then consider Meguiar's ultimate compound and ultimate polish and the wax of your choice. If you want to step it up a little pick up some M205 instead of ultimate polish. M26 is a nice wax from Meguiar's. If you are looking for a sealant I would go with ultimate wax. You could even use both (ultimate wax topped with M26 is a great combo).

I have not used Adams correcting or paint polish but they get good reviews. Their liquid paint sealant and Americana are nice.

I have used Mothers Paint Professional compound and polish and it worked very well. It's often overlooked.

Menzerna also has a good combination with FG400 and PF2500.

Americana Car Care has good products as well. I have a their Ameridepth polish, their sealant and wax.

Also 3D HD car care has some good products. I hear good things about their HD Polish. They offer HD Poxy which is a hybrid sealant/wax.

These are just a few of what I have read and looked at myself.

Since you are going to be getting the HF DA, be sure to pick up a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. I've had a lot of success with the Lake Country flat pads and the Lake Country hydro tech pads with a lake country backing plate. The other pads you may want to consider which I just used are Meguiar's new thin foam pads. They correct very well.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt that. Learning to use a DA is key. Watch "junkman's" videos on YouTube. Then, it's all about putting what you learned watching into practice.
I meant adams has many products. Not just polishing. Youll then want a clay bar to remove all contaminations, then a paint sealant to protect your car if its a DD or sits outside, then of course the polish if you have swirls, and finally a wax to give it that shine. But not before the glaze, the the detail spray, and towels , and all purpose cleaner, deep wheel cleaner, undercarriage spray, etc... Its non stop
Old 03-18-2015, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I will eventually branch out and try some different waxes and glazes, but for the time being, I'm going to roll with the Adams Briliant Glaze and the Adams Americana wax. My car is Pewter Metallic, so it doesn't "pop" like a black car, but still looks way better after using those products as opposed to any over the counter product I've used. Guz, I'll have to look into some of those products you mentioned.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always have used Zaino Z5/Z2/Z6 on the Camaro until I gave Adams a try. In my opinion, one coat of buttery wax and a wipe down with Adams pink detail spray looks just as good as the Z5/Z6/Z2/Z6 Zaino process I was doing, plus it takes less than half the time to get it done.

I'm sure the Zaino durability is much higher because you can layer it, but that doesn't matter much to me since my car spends so much time in the garage.

I can vouch for Meguiars also, I have a navy blue metallic 2000 GTP. The front/rear bumper had some severe fading and the car had some bad oxidation/water spotting all over it. I used Meguiars ultimate compound/polish and NXT 2.0 wax and it really has restored the paint. I'll be definitely using Meguiars from here on out on this car.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 242 Posts

Meguiars 105/205 polish with a rotary, meguiars show car glaze, meguiars # 26 wax.
I agree as said above.... Good technique will get you good results in general with whatever quality product you use.
I love meguiars product but want to also try Adams products over of these days
Old 03-18-2015, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome info here fellas. I am in the process of reading over Junkman's threads and Ask a Professional Detailer thread before I start.

I will be using a HF dual action polisher, with a replacement backing plate (5" flexible urethane from autogeek) and 5.5" lake country pads. I'm unsure which pads to use though, should I use the CCS pads or the hydro-tech?

From what I'm seeing, orange pad is for moderate compounding, white for polish, and black for waxing.

So I'll need two of each pad? One to apply and one to remove after the product has set?
Old 03-19-2015, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 242 Posts

No, you do not polish after the product has settled/dried. That will cause massive swirls and marring. Polish, then wipe product off with a nice microfiber will the product is still in liquid form
Old 03-20-2015, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

I use Zaino on all my black cars. I love it! It smells good too.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirts11
Awesome info here fellas. I am in the process of reading over Junkman's threads and Ask a Professional Detailer thread before I start.

I will be using a HF dual action polisher, with a replacement backing plate (5" flexible urethane from autogeek) and 5.5" lake country pads. I'm unsure which pads to use though, should I use the CCS pads or the hydro-tech?

From what I'm seeing, orange pad is for moderate compounding, white for polish, and black for waxing.

So I'll need two of each pad? One to apply and one to remove after the product has set?

The more pads the better. I would actually get 3 cutting, 4 polishing, 2 waxing. I would say get the flat pads or the hydro tech's. The hydro tech's absorb less product and are thinner. Thinner pads means you will be able to take advantage of the tools power and have less rotational mass.

The hyrdo tech's also have different colors. The blue is cutting, the tangerine is for polishing and red for waxing.

Also don't rule out the new Meguiar's thin foam pads. These things have been great so far. This is a good deal with them.

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.ne...ch-bundle.html

You will be using microfiber towels to remove the product and not the pads. Check out the rag company for towels. These are some of my favorite towels

For drying

http://www.theragcompany.com/The-Edg...-2040-EL-W.htm

For compounding,polishing, waxing, spray waxes, quick detailers. These are the Adams double soft towels just so everyone knows to save a little more cash.

http://www.theragcompany.com/16-x-16...1616-W1100.htm

I use these for rinseless washing but they are great for product removal. Nice and plush.

http://www.theragcompany.com/16-x-16...-1616-O-EL.htm

http://www.theragcompany.com/16-x-16...-1616-B-EL.htm

I always post this kit for the newbies on that join the Meguiar's forum. It comes with everything you need. I would pick up a few more microfibers.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-...undle/29670206

Quick Reply: Zaino best products for detailing black ws6?