Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

help!!! mirror came off

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!!! mirror came off

i was plugging in the cord on the rear view mirror and it popped off at the ball joint and will not go back on i put some grease on it but no matter what i do it will not go on please help cant really drive it without a rearview
Attached Thumbnails help!!! mirror came off-imag0152.jpg   help!!! mirror came off-imag0151.jpg  
Old 04-13-2015, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Remove the ball joint from the glass first. There is a metal bracket that is bonded to the glass and that ball joint is clipped to it.

Once you have it off you can put it on your workbench and you may be able to get enough pressure to snap it back together, assuming the socket isn't damaged. Then the whole thing would just slide/snap back onto the bracket on the glass.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:21 PM
Teching In

thanks i popped it off and tried putting it in a wise and put as much force as i could then it sounded like it was cracking might try again later with another person helping me. might just break down and buy a new one. how could it pop off so easy and not go back on.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you can't find one at the local junkyard...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Donnelly-Dual-Map-Light-Inside-Rear-View-Mirror-10-1-2-CAMARO-FIREBIRD-/181715314743?hash=item2a4f13a837&vxp=mtrJust make sure the electrical connector is the correct type before buying. They changed mirrors on the later 4th gens.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a new mirror. You will never be able to press that back together without damaging it.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZexGX
If you can't find one at the local junkyard...
Donnelly Dual Map Light Inside Rear View Mirror 10 1 2 034 Camaro Firebird | eBay
Just make sure the electrical connector is the correct type before buying. They changed mirrors on the later 4th gens.
damn I just bought one on eBay that was 20$ could have wait d and saved myself a dollar lol
Old 04-15-2015, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by smakyls1
damn I just bought one on eBay that was 20$ could have wait d and saved myself a dollar lol
Don't feel too bad. I think I spent around $300 on mine for it to have warm white LED map lights, Homelink (garage door opener), compass, and outside temperature. It's not a purchase most people want to make, but it's so nice to have.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:21 PM
Teching In

ZexGX where did you get that rear view with all those features ????
Old 04-21-2015, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jonathan L
ZexGX where did you get that rear view with all those features ????
eBay, and it was a few years ago. There were 2 sellers that I used. One was selling the custom Gentex harness (just searched Gentex harness...). The mirrors you just have to get lucky finding. Sometimes the people that sell the harness will sell the mirror as well, or some people will only list mirrors plus harness as packages. There were only 2 mirrors on eBay that I could find like this, and I bought both (lol... the first one got stolen by someone at USPS in New Jersey). The mirror came out of an 01-05 Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Sebring, but is not a standard mirror for those cars... It was optional, so you really need to look at descriptions and photos to make sure you're not getting a regular manual mirror.

It's a Gentex 341.

However, there are one or two (or three) newer mirror models out there with the same features, I just couldn't find any for sale at the time. People don't often re-sell them.

Quick Reply: help!!! mirror came off