Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Professionally detailed vs DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I'm pretty sure the OP had a shop do a paint correction on his car not too long ago. If I remember correct, he had another thread about doing it himself or having someone else do it (it could have also been in someone else's thread, but I do remember it). If the car already had a paint correction done, there is no need for another paint correction, unless the OP has not been washing/wiping down the car in the correct manner. In my opinion, if I'm going to pay for someone to do a paint correction, I'm going to educate myself on how to detail my car so that I don't make premature swirl marks and marring. There is a very clear "right way" and "wrong way" to wash/detail your car when it comes to preventing swirl marks and marring. 90% of my customers just want their car washed and waxed and have the interior detailed. That's perfectly fine, and I'm happy to do that for them. Then, there are the 10% who want a paint correction done, which is a hell of a lot more detailed and time consuming, not to mention a lot more expensive. If the paint on the OP's car has been corrected, then all he needs to do to keep it looking good is give it a simple detail he can do himself, and make sure he's putting good sealant/glaze/wax on it.
like you say the thing 90% of your customers ask for (Tier 2 as per my previous post) is what I would consider "detailing".

Paint Correction is far and above what I would refer to as detailing.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I misunderstood what "detailing" meant. Yes the car had paint correction done last year. This month I brought it back and they waxed the car. They told me not to use a duster, which was causing the swirls. Luckily they were able to remove all marks.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
I misunderstood what "detailing" meant. Yes the car had paint correction done last year. This month I brought it back and they waxed the car. They told me not to use a duster, which was causing the swirls. Luckily they were able to remove all marks.
The dusters get dirty and then you drag that thing all over the paint.

If anything, get a good detail spray and some clean quality microfiber towels.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
The dusters get dirty and then you drag that thing all over the paint.

If anything, get a good detail spray and some clean quality microfiber towels.
Yeah I stopped using the duster and got the Cobra towels to dry with, I think thats what their called lol.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

The duster is a tool like any other, if you use it in the wrong way and/or in the wrong application you can do harm. They are called a "duster" for a reason, they shouldn't be used on anything more than very light surface dust, and never on a finish that's not properly waxed/sealed. If the duster becomes contaminated with heavy dirt or is used on a surface with little or no protection, you can expect problems.

For the last ~15 years I've used only a car duster and detailer spray for basic surface cleaning of my garage queens. Both of these products work great in this application; soap and water washing isn't really necessary for regular upkeep of a car that never sees weather or surface neglect and is cleaned after almost every drive. However, I wouldn't use a car duster for a daily driver, etc.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 06-05-2015 at 04:57 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The duster is a tool like any other, if you use it in the wrong way and/or in the wrong application you can do harm. They are called a "duster" for a reason, they shouldn't be used on anything more than very light surface dust, and never on a finish that's not properly waxed/sealed. If the duster becomes contaminated with heavy dirt or is used on a surface with little or no protection, you can expect problems.

For the last ~15 years I've used only a car duster and detailer spray for basic surface cleaning of my garage queens. Both of these products work great in this application; soap and water washing isn't really necessary for regular upkeep of a car that never sees weather or surface neglect and is cleaned after almost every drive. However, I wouldn't use a car duster for a daily driver, etc.
also proper technique with the duster makes a difference

Old 06-05-2015, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
Can you tell a difference? The first picture the car was detailed by Ziebarts and the bottom picture was detailed by myself. Ziebarts was able to get out a lot of the swirl marks but overall im not sure if its worth the money to go back

Professionally Detailed

Here is a picture of when I detailed the car in about 30-45 mins.
Who in the hell can detail a car in 35 minutes? My shitty jobs last an hour or more!
Old 06-06-2015, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2JAWZ
Who in the hell can detail a car in 35 minutes? My shitty jobs last an hour or more!
I think it looks good for a 30 min wax / clean lol
Old 06-06-2015, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 2JAWZ
Easy when you have 2-4 guys working on it at one time lol
Old 06-07-2015, 02:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
Easy when you have 2-4 guys working on it at one time lol
Or it already looked good before
Old 06-07-2015, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

Yea but alone I couldn't do one in 35 minutes and it be tip top. But hey you're happy with it that's all that matters.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

^^ That's right***
Old 06-07-2015, 06:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
Yea but alone I couldn't do one in 35 minutes and it be tip top. But hey you're happy with it that's all that matters.
To wash AND wax an entire car in 35 minutes would be an extremely sloppy job IMO, assuming just one person. If the car actually came out looking nice in person, then I'm guessing there is a very loose definition of "35 minutes" in this case.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

To wash AND wax an entire car in 35 minutes would be an extremely sloppy job IMO, assuming just one person. If the car actually came out looking nice in person, then I'm guessing there is a very loose definition of "35 minutes" in this case.
I most definitely agree
Old 06-07-2015, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Like anything else, some people choose to pay for a service while others prefer to do it themselves; either way is a matter of preference.

Personally I wouldn't use a "professional" myself because I already know exactly what I want, and how I want it, done.

A true complete detailing can't be done in 30-45 minutes, even on a car that's already pretty clean. A quick wash/wash & wax is not a detailing - that's just basic cleaning.
Well said. 45 min for the interior is average when I do a full detail. I can't knock anyone for paying a "pro" shop especially if it's because of time restraints.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 899 Likes on 641 Posts

"Detailing" means different things to different people. Most people want clean and shiny. Most people don't see the swirls, scratches, RIDS and holograms.

There is a huge range of people in the detailing business from true honest too GOD hacks all the way up to top shelf elite detailers.

Most people think that if they order a PC 7424XP, some pads and whatever Autogeek's flavor of the month is, they are now a professional detailer. Ehhhhh.

It's like anything else, to learn how to do it properly takes loooooots of time, research practice, money and more time.

Can I port my own cylinder heads? Yeah probably. Will I see a huge gain like I would having them sent to Tony Mamo, TEA, AI, etc.. Probably not.

With detailing(i actually hate that word)it really comes down to what level of paint correction you are wanting. Quality paint correction takes time and time is money like any other skilled labor.

Most people aren't ate up with paint correction and top shelf detailing like myself. I cater to a small niche' of car people who want their ride looking better than it did when it was new.

If you want to truly check a detailers work put halogen lights on it. Halogens show EVERYTHING. After the halogen go to LED's. Now keep in mind what level of correction you asked for. Don't expect a 80% or more correction for $150. Hell I won't even do a maintenance wash for less than that.

This is one of the worse vehicles I've done.
50/50
Name:  quartafter5050_zps2ac12c01.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  332.6 KB

Before
Name:  before7_zps4b0b9ec0.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  375.1 KB

After compound step
Name:  leftfendcomp_zps4aab1be7.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  46.1 KB

Looks better obviously, but it is perfect? No. Time to go to the LED's
Micromarring left from the compound step.
Name:  marringbefore_zps4e24a269.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  28.3 KB

After
Name:  polishafter_zpsc86f0f0c.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  36.1 KB

Dialed in
Name:  quartafter1_zps6b9fee47.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  351.1 KB
Old 06-08-2015, 11:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
"Detailing" means different things to different people. Most people want clean and shiny. Most people don't see the swirls, scratches, RIDS and holograms.

Most people think that if they order a PC 7424XP, some pads and whatever Autogeek's flavor of the month is, they are now a professional detailer. Ehhhhh.

With detailing(i actually hate that word)it really comes down to what level of paint correction you are wanting. Quality paint correction takes time and time is money like any other skilled labor.
High-level paint correction is a process that can stand alone or be part of a complete detail, but it's far more extensive than what I would consider to be part of a basic detail (meaning what the average person would consider a full clean-up and maintenance surface prep of a daily driver), and it is not, by itself, a complete detail.

Paint correction is really only one aspect, "detailing" is a very dynamic process that goes well beyond swirl elimination or other paint improvements. One can put 40 hours into a paint correction but still have a car that looks incomplete until its full range of surfaces have been properly serviced. I've competed at shows with people who can't understand why they receive 85-90 points for a car with a $10,000 paint job which has been sanded/cut/polished/waxed/sealed to near perfection - they don't even seem to notice all the other un-prepped/neglected areas of their cars. To me, a "complete detailing" will address every visual surface that can be improved without replacing/repainting/repairing any parts. Paint is only one aspect; engine bay, interior, undercarrige, wheel wells, glass, trim & weather stripping, lenses, wheels & tires, and everything inbetween all should be properly cleaned/treated/prepped/dressed to be considered "complete".
Old 06-08-2015, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 899 Likes on 641 Posts

High-level paint correction is a process that can stand alone or be part of a complete detail, but it's far more extensive than what I would consider to be part of a basic detail (meaning what the average person would consider a full clean-up and maintenance surface prep of a daily driver), and it is not, by itself, a complete detail.

Paint correction is really only one aspect, "detailing" is a very dynamic process that goes well beyond swirl elimination or other paint improvements. One can put 40 hours into a paint correction but still have a car that looks incomplete until its full range of surfaces have been properly serviced. I've competed at shows with people who can't understand why they receive 85-90 points for a car with a $10,000 paint job which has been sanded/cut/polished/waxed/sealed to near perfection - they don't even seem to notice all the other un-prepped/neglected areas of their cars. To me, a "complete detailing" will address every visual surface that can be improved without replacing/repainting/repairing any parts. Paint is only one aspect; engine bay, interior, undercarrige, wheel wells, glass, trim & weather stripping, lenses, wheels & tires, and everything inbetween all should be properly cleaned/treated/prepped/dressed to be considered "complete".
Quoted for truth.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:06 AM
11 Second Club

Yup doesn't get much better than that description, I learned how to detail now I have the curse of being swirls/defects in everything....it sucks because cars I used to be able to look at and enjoy now just screw I need paint correction badly.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Doing paint corrections takes lots of time. For example I spent 15 hours give or take correcting my dad's 02 Z28 over the weekend.

Here's the full write up

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...Z28-Now-Coated

Ameriarmour Nano Glass Paint Coating

Quick Reply: Professionally detailed vs DIY