Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LT1 tail lights (quick and simple way to make them work on LS1 cars)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 tail lights (quick and simple way to make them work on LS1 cars)

I have a cammed 98 Z and I absolutely HATE the 97-02 tails. The amber just throws it all off. I ordered a set of damn-near perfect condition 93-96 tails, when they came in, I got to work. What I did was removed the reverse light socket all together, for the time being... I used a pair of those tiny sockets (one for each tail light) I had and spliced one into the other tiny socket at the far tip of the tail. The reason for this is to place the extra spliced socket where the amber turn signal used to be, and move the turn signal up above where the reverse light was. Obviously the smaller socket with the tiny bulb will not fit where the original turn signal used to be, so I simply glued it into place. The reason I used the small socket instead of just using an extra brake socket was because adding another brake socket would make that bulb glow brighter than the rest of the tail light, getting its power from the tiny socket. I know this because i found it out the hard way. With the extra tiny socket getting power from the other tiny socket, the whole tail light will illuminate and blend in much better. BUT... when you step on the brakes, only the original brake light will get brighter, not the whole tail. But the tail as a whole will glow. Later on I will drill a small hole next to the turn signal for the new reverse light. I understand there are lots of ways to make these tail lights work, this is just what I did.

Last edited by LSone98; 06-21-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting solution, I may be giving this a try soon.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

This is what I did back in the day and I haven't had any issues

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ng-w-pics.html

Quick Reply: LT1 tail lights (quick and simple way to make them work on LS1 cars)