Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Bubbling paint on roof, I may have a solution.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had two estimates before I got GM to cover mine. One was $788.00, the other was $912.00.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought they repaired it even if it was out of warranty? Ultimately it was up to the manager
Old 10-15-2004, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

well my buddy was denied a repair on his car....for the lamest reason I have ever heard for anything. they told him he hans't owned the car long enough. he bought it in may with 60K miles on it.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:43 AM
Teching In

Location: Fort Mill South Carolina/Charlotte...home of NASCAR

Originally Posted by XuhQshinR
I Got mine done back in April. The roof looks good but every since they fixed it I have a large air leak around the passenger door window (towards the seal by the new panel). That was from my dealership in Indiana but now I live back here in good ol Bradenton Florida and not sure if I can get that annoying wind noise fixed!

Anyone know how to fix this? It seems to be towards the rear of the pass window towards the top where the glass does not seal against that area.
The reason you get wind noise on the T-Top cars is because the window weather stripping is channelled into the roof band right behind the windows. The dealer probably installed the roof band in a slightly different position than it was originally. On mine, the drivers side was fine but the passenger side had a wind whistle. When I looked at both sides, it was apparent that the drivers side weather stripping was further forward (towards the glass) than the passenger side. Since you can't move the roof panel or the weather stripping further forward, I removed my weather stripping (it pulls out....it's not glued) and put a piece of sticky backed foam (the same stuff they use to seal truck caps to the top of the bed) on the metal strip right under where the seal rests. This "pushes" the seal out further when it is reinstalled and solved my wind whistle problem. I suspect that cars with the hardtop have similar alignment issues across the tops of the windows if the panel is not installed in exactly the same place.

One other thing that was fixed inadvertenly was a T-Top rattle .........it seems the location of the T-Top had something to do with my rattle which I was never able to fix on my own and the "new" location was better.

BTW.........my car was out of warranty when I had the work done. My dealer was pretty co-operative about the whole thing. If your dealer refuses to do the work, try another dealer and keep on doing it until you find one that says yes.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

the dealer had to talk to the area rep so any dealer within driving distance will have the same rep for him!! i'm assuming!!
Old 10-16-2004, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

I got no where with dealers. A woman at the cust. serv. # got GM to fix mine under the 6 year corrosion warranty. I've said this earlier in the thread but am repeating for anyone who might not have read this whole thing.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I took mine to Lawrence Marshall Pontiac in Houston and they just re-painted it. I even brought the TSB in with me. The rep said that the bubbles on my roof didn't look like the problem in the TSB. Oh well, at least I have it documented that they repaired bubbles in the roof paint before my warranty was up. My car is always garage kept so it took about 2 years for the bubbles to show up. If they show up again I'll have record that it was repaired prior to my warranty expiring. Maybe that will help.

I just can't believe that they would so blatently avoid doing warranty work. I had paint bubbling/cracking in a straight line in the back and front of the roof, exactly like the TSB showed, and they just avoided any talk about the TSB and simply said they'd repaint it.

Do dealers loose money on warranty repairs?

Russell
Old 10-18-2004, 12:32 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Man the headaches we'd all save if they would have just done it right the first time....seems that a little more homework on GM's part would have helped.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Had my roof replaced at no cost to me under this TSB. At the time, the car had about 41Kmiles on it. My dealership didn't give me any hassels at all, I told them about the TSB, showed them the bubbles and within a day, they told me they would cover it.

As a couple of folks have mentiened,,,, be carefull of the weather stripping to window seal. After mine was finished, the tech apparently didn't take the time to check if the seal leaked. Welp, they got it finished up bout the time that first big hurricane of the season hit. It sat at the dealership a couple of days before I had a chance to pick it up. Man,,,, it rained cats and dogs for that couple of days. The rain poured in, no bull crap,,, the driver's floor was actually standing with about an 1/2 inch of water. The passenger's was wet also but not near as bad. I took it back, they fixed the weather strip seal and did their best to clean it up.

Check the weather stripping seal for sure once you pick it up,,,, go by a high pressure car wash and check it out.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Judd
Had my roof replaced at no cost to me under this TSB. At the time, the car had about 41Kmiles on it. My dealership didn't give me any hassels at all, I told them about the TSB, showed them the bubbles and within a day, they told me they would cover it.

As a couple of folks have mentiened,,,, be carefull of the weather stripping to window seal. After mine was finished, the tech apparently didn't take the time to check if the seal leaked. Welp, they got it finished up bout the time that first big hurricane of the season hit. It sat at the dealership a couple of days before I had a chance to pick it up. Man,,,, it rained cats and dogs for that couple of days. The rain poured in, no bull crap,,, the driver's floor was actually standing with about an 1/2 inch of water. The passenger's was wet also but not near as bad. I took it back, they fixed the weather strip seal and did their best to clean it up.

Check the weather stripping seal for sure once you pick it up,,,, go by a high pressure car wash and check it out.
Mine leaked at 1st too. They put the roof on a tad too far back and the T tops didn't seal against the little lip of the roof. Water poured in. They had to redo it.

Quick Reply: Bubbling paint on roof, I may have a solution.