Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Camaro Bumper with 6 gen grill (Update with 3D modeling)

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OVRKILL
Completely....you're taking one of the ugliest features on these cars and making it even less appealing. I know about wanting different but damn....stop.....please.

RPM....lol, good call on the largemouth.
Ok... you dont like it I got it, (actually you hate it) and its ok, BUT why on Earth should I stop? just because you say it? gess what... I wont

Im here to geet feed back from nice people who know about this and know about those cars... besides this a PERSONAL project...

There is one small diference in constructive criticism, and just making fun on somebody else work...

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
Sorry to side with the rest of the crowd, but in my last post I mentioned slimming down the factory proportions of the large grille in my own project & that slimming down the whole look would give a wider more aggressive appearance'
On Jay Leno's cnbc show, there was one image of a grey2016 Camaro which the image distorted & looks wider. This is more of the look you need. How Bout that?

I'll be nice though while still being honest & say I do think you're on to something , you're just not there yet.

mmm you are right Im gonna work on that, thanks for all the input!
Old 03-01-2016, 01:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You made the catfish... look more like a catfish lol
Old 03-01-2016, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Now that I've seen a 3d rendering, it looks... Hmmm.

You're onto something, but not quite there. Right now the "catfish" appears to be more pronounced, but then again the stock 3d model looked kinda funky to me too.

I not sure how to improve it though. I do like this idea cause I hate how little styling our cars received vs the trans ams lol. Ignore the haters, some people don't understand that designing stuff is a process and takes time.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
I do like this idea cause I hate how little styling our cars received vs the trans ams lol.
I think those who find the Camaro to be under-styled would just be better off buying a Trans Am in the first place. I actually found Trans Am to be a bit over-styled for my taste, hence my return to Camaro a few years later, though TA styling at least flows appropriately from front to back and the car doesn't have the awkward appearance generally associated with significant afterthoughts (such as this bumper change.)

Camaro styling just doesn't generally lend well to additional body treatments or alterations beyond, say, a hood or other less drastic changes. Even GM's attempt at a body kit (Sport Appearance Package) was not popular and, in my opinion, a design failure (in that it hurt rather than improved the appearance of the car.)
Old 03-01-2016, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Im not just saying this because I have the DH bumper but its probably the only way you can improve upon the stock look of a camaro front end besides a hood. Its going to be extremely hard to pull off any drastic change without customizing the sides behind the wheels to accept such customization. I'm trying not to be debbie downer here but I'm having a hard time seeing an appealing outcome. Maybe try to incorporate the DH lip with some of your designs. I just think you need to maintain the curvature of the bottom of the bumper that matches the bottom of the sides of the car as well. Thats the reason I never bought the McNord bumper, mainly because the McNord has such an angular lip and doesn't flow well into the sides of the car.

I do wish I had your design skills though. Do you use CAD? The designing you've done I respect because its a hard skill to master.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I think those who find the Camaro to be under-styled would just be better off buying a Trans Am in the first place. I actually found Trans Am to be a bit over-styled for my taste, hence my return to Camaro a few years later, though TA styling at least flows appropriately from front to back and the car doesn't have the awkward appearance generally associated with significant afterthoughts (such as this bumper change.)

Camaro styling just doesn't generally lend well to additional body treatments or alterations beyond, say, a hood or other less drastic changes. Even GM's attempt at a body kit (Sport Appearance Package) was not popular and, in my opinion, a design failure (in that it hurt rather than improved the appearance of the car.)
Agree 100%....however, consider the only real aftermarket improvement style wise in the DH Camaro's. Every other attempt to your point has been a consistent fail...
Old 03-01-2016, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by OVRKILL
Agree 100%....however, consider the only real aftermarket improvement style wise in the DH Camaro's. Every other attempt to your point has been a consistent fail...
Agree 500%
Old 03-01-2016, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

just had an idea, toss out the idea of trying to rework the grille to make it look different, flush it out with the rest of the surface of the bumper then take design cues from the 98+ Firebird/Formula front bumper and "open up" the "sides" starting in the lower corner by the fog light something along the lines of something like this

but not so close to the middle and shaped closer to the shape of the headlights maybe, I don't know, play with it and see what you can do, I feel like something better looking could come from that and be less "catfishy" since it's not one big open mouth and I don't think I've seen anyone attempt anything like that with a camaro. It may not work either but can't hurt to try.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:43 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SesiomSummers
A challenge is a challenge Im A 3D artist so this kind of stuff what I like to do, Right now Im doing a 3D model of a camaro and there Im gonna be able to test my theory, with some renders Il be able to see how the 6 gen grill fits, if I see its really a no go Ill try any other GM Grill,
now about the DH bumper... is just the same bumper w a integrated lid... I looks way better than the stock one but not gonna spend 600+ dollars that..
Not a fan as it remind me of this...

but do your thing!

In the meantime, I see you're a 3D modeler... if you want some work drop me an e-mail mark@6LEDesigns.com
Old 03-02-2016, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT4vert
Agree 500%
Same here, as I really like the DH/Sunoco fender flares/bulges, IF done 'right'.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn. This is killer work on the modeling. Regardless of what people think the skill you have is over the top.

I am actually working on a different variation of this idea. If you want shoot me a pm and I'll share my thoughts. I can't model like you can though!

Great work. This is a really cool thread with some fresh ideas for an almost 20 yr old car!
Old 03-04-2016, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts

Build it and then let the judges come out.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
This is more of the look you need. How Bout that?

I'll be nice though while still being honest & say I do think you're on to something , you're just not there yet.
I agree with jlcustomz. My first thought when seeing your renderings was "it could work, but the grille area is too tall." IMO, if you shortened the top of the grille in your rendering so that the top was aligned with the bottom of the amber marker lights it would look a lot better.

Regardless of our opinions, you're doing a very good job on the modeling and I appreciate you sharing it with us.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I think those who find the Camaro to be under-styled would just be better off buying a Trans Am in the first place.
Dont get me wrong, I love my camaro and the way it looks, but it does come across That gm got lazy when they styled the ls1 4th gens. Its not bad looking, but it feels like it's lacking in some areas.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:51 AM
On The Tree

sorry for the delays guys I been bussy with some familly issue (**** happens) but Ill do my best to get some High cuality renders by towmorrow or monday!
Old 03-06-2016, 03:07 AM
On The Tree

Well, now I'm curious too see how this turns out.....
Old 03-06-2016, 05:29 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
but it does come across That gm got lazy when they styled the ls1 4th gens. Its not bad looking, but it feels like it's lacking in some areas.
I've honestly never felt that way, at least not in terms of any significant styling elements. It may not be bold or busy enough for some, but I don't think that makes it lacking or incomplete. There is integrity to the overall design; it flows well and appears complete to me (other than SAP examples, which don't flow well at all and, IMO, illustrate just how unfortunate these cars look with tacked-on body cladding.)
Old 03-06-2016, 05:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts

One of the responses was def the pot callin the kettle black(TA bumper)* Now if this idea was the stock bumper and he was trying to put in the rounded SS grille most everyone would say no don't do it the SS grille will not flow with the lines of the car because they are hung up on stock. I think if he rounds the edges and takes some height out of it that it would look pretty good going off of the models.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2JAWZ
One of the responses was def the pot callin the kettle black(TA bumper)* Now if this idea was the stock bumper and he was trying to put in the rounded SS grille most everyone would say no don't do it the SS grille will not flow with the lines of the car because they are hung up on stock. I think if he rounds the edges and takes some height out of it that it would look pretty good going off of the models.
if he rounds the edges and takes some height out of it, he will be basically cutting down the mesh of the new grille to fit the existing opening (aside from it being a different mesh style how is that any different then the MANY mesh inserts out there?) , I was under the impression he wanted something DIFFERENT, which is why I suggested something different but still somewhat in the "family" by taking some design concepts from the firebird, will it work, I don't know, but I can't see it being any worse then throwing in a grille from a car that is significantly larger, it's also VERY DIFFERENT compared to anything else (even in the tacky aftermarket kits) that is available for the car, you know sometimes things you think wouldn't ever work end up coming out pretty good.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 358 Likes on 270 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

try inverting the opening so its wider at the top and narrow at the bottom, as it stands it just doesnt flow with the rest of the car. It feels like the widemouth bumpers that were so common around the time of the first Fast and Furious movie.

But if you like it dont be bothered by those who dont share your opinon

Quick Reply: Camaro Bumper with 6 gen grill (Update with 3D modeling)