Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Powdercoated Intake and Coils

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Powdercoated Intake and Coils

So, when I decided to tackle swapping out the V6 in my 2000 Camaro in favor of an LS3 Stroker I knew three things:
1. I'm not rushing it, I'm going to take my time and do it right.
2. If I'm going to this I want it to look as good as it runs.
3. I want to do as much of the work myself as I can.

With this in mind I decided to powdercoat everything I could. I started off with a few brackets to work out the kinks and then moved on to my coils:

IMG_0636.JPG

Then I decided to tackle the valve covers:

image1.JPG

Catch can:

IMG_0622.JPG

Fuel Pressure Regulator (forgive me Aeromotive - I don't do Red!!)

IMG_0621.JPG

After a little success with those parts, I decided to attempt coating the one thing I couldn't just sand blast and try again, my intake. After a couple of hours of sanding and trimming, I just went for it. Several hours, 2 coats of blue, and 2 coats of clear later - here are the results:

IMG_0729.JPG IMG_0731.JPG

I do want to thank themealonwheels here and now. He was with me the entire time, helping me prep and coat all of this. Your help is appreciated buddy!

P.S. Beer on Saturday!
Attached Thumbnails Powdercoated Intake and Coils-img_0636.jpg   Powdercoated Intake and Coils-img_0731.jpg   Powdercoated Intake and Coils-img_0729.jpg   Powdercoated Intake and Coils-image1.jpg   Powdercoated Intake and Coils-img_0621.jpg  

Powdercoated Intake and Coils-img_0622.jpg  
Old 03-21-2016, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

...and it looks like my skill at powder coating is much better than my skill at embedding pics in a danged forum!
Old 03-21-2016, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

The pictures really don't do it justice, the coils and intake came out fantastic and the blue really pops in the light due to the very fine metal flake in it.

And thanks for your help with the rear end install this weekend! But where's your build thread?

Attached Thumbnails Powdercoated Intake and Coils-20160320_162010c.jpg  
Old 03-21-2016, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Build

I'll start on that just as soon as I can make time to finish posting the dual fuel pump thread, smooth out / paint the engine bay, fabricate brackets, covers, and a new fuse box holder, map out / mock up the brake lines for the proportioning vale and line lock, figure out and mock up my fuel lines, hide/reroute the engine bay wiring, etc...

Oh yeah, that doesn't even include the wife's honey-do list! (God! that sucker just keeps getting longer and further behind!)

In other words - I'll put it on my to do list...
Old 03-21-2016, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh yeah, I also have a Strange S60 that needs to be re-built!
Old 03-21-2016, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Keep in mind powder coating is more prone to failing the thicker it is. Looks good though!
Old 03-22-2016, 07:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks bud! I learned that lesson the hard way; not on powder coat, but on paint in general. The first car I painted (back in my teens) I shot way too much clear. It looked great for around a year, until the clear started cracking in the more flexible portions of the panels. I took it to a body shop and the guy who looked at it for me knew what I did right away.
As for the powder coating, everything else I've done is 1 coat color, 1 coat clear. Because of all of the nooks and crannies in the intake, combined with no electrostatic charge to draw the powder down into all those places, I had no choice but to apply two coats of each just to ensure adequate coverage. I definitely didn't want it to be too thick, so I was careful to make sure I didn't just gob it on! I'd hate to do all of this work only to have it just crack off 6 months down the line...

Quick Reply: Powdercoated Intake and Coils