Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Zaino VS Maguires NXT.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 06:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just used NXT for the first time- every other time i have used ZYMOL... My car looks nice now (see multimedia forum for pics) but the only reason I used it is because I don't have the $50 for ZYMOL (I just got fired- thanks god I don't have to sell Ford crap any more!) While the NXT looks nice, I'll be back on ZYMOL when I have a job again and am not just freeloading on my babymama. By the way, if some of you think that people with $3,000,000 pebble beach winning cars use Zaino or Meguiars, you are crazy. These types of people have ZYMOL custom make them a wax for THEIR car, and their car only based upon paint type and color. Last time I checked, there were no LS1's at pebble beach.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

wash your car once with dawn and remove what it can of the zaino. if you haven't used zaino, don't use dawn. the nxt should do the rest, depending on how much zaino you have on your car. after you do this, leave your damn dawn in the kitchen and never put it on your car again. it's a very common misconception that especially runs rampant on f-body boards that dawn is necessary for cleaning off old waxes.
Where did you get this info? Could you point me to said info so I can make my own informed opinion?
Old 06-25-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

www.autopia.org -- do a search for Dawn
Old 06-26-2004, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZaneO
www.autopia.org -- do a search for Dawn
<--what he said. dawn is not something that should go on cars. i don't mean to sound rude, but f-body boards are not a place you should look to find detailing information. so if you read on an f-body board that dawn is okay for your car, you are mistaken. detailing boards are where you will find the most detailing information. and if you found your information elsewhere, you were misinformed.

besides, unless you are using zaino, why bother with an extra step of washing with dawn when your cleaner wax will take the old wax right out? i know YOU use zaino, but i'm just saying in general that dawn is an extra, useless step. and that's despite it's downsides.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Dawn isn't even necessary on a Zaino'd car if you properly prep the paint
Old 06-28-2004, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

So what removes Zaino, soap wise?

Also i'm going to the Autostore tonight, what kind of soap does everyone use?
Old 06-28-2004, 10:03 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Originally Posted by baddogz28
By the way, if some of you think that people with $3,000,000 pebble beach winning cars use Zaino or Meguiars, you are crazy. These types of people have ZYMOL custom make them a wax for THEIR car, and their car only based upon paint type and color. Last time I checked, there were no LS1's at pebble beach.

I couldn't care less what some dork with a 3 million dollar car uses on his machine. Whatever it is, that person is paying too much.

For my car, I just use NXT. Looks good, great results.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by StavosWS6
So what removes Zaino, soap wise?

Also i'm going to the Autostore tonight, what kind of soap does everyone use?
You shouldn't use soap to remove wax/sealant, etc. from your paint. Use a light polish or paint cleaner, such as Menzerna Final Polish or Klasse AIO.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tuffluck
<--what he said. dawn is not something that should go on cars. i don't mean to sound rude, but f-body boards are not a place you should look to find detailing information. so if you read on an f-body board that dawn is okay for your car, you are mistaken. detailing boards are where you will find the most detailing information. and if you found your information elsewhere, you were misinformed.

besides, unless you are using zaino, why bother with an extra step of washing with dawn when your cleaner wax will take the old wax right out? i know YOU use zaino, but i'm just saying in general that dawn is an extra, useless step. and that's despite it's downsides.

I didn't get it from some board. It was in the instructions from Zaino. As in the people who make the product recommended it.

Q: Ok, I just received my Zaino products. What should I do to my paint before applying my Zaino?

A: The first thing you should do is wash your vehicle thoroughly with Dawn (or comparable) dish soap to remove any wax, grease, and oil from your paint. Then, my recommendation is to use Z-18 ClayBar to remove any bonded surface contaminants such as rail dust, tree sap, bug marks, or hard water deposits from the paint before applying any of your Zaino products.Using Clay is optional, but it really does make a difference!!
Old 06-28-2004, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by minivette
Where did you get this info? Could you point me to said info so I can make my own informed opinion?
He was answering your question. Stop thinking you are billy badass because you read the Zaino instructions and think you know everything about detailing now.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZaneO
He was answering your question. Stop thinking you are billy badass because you read the Zaino instructions and think you know everything about detailing now.
No he didn't answer my question dumbfuck. Why would I go and read on a forum somewhere and follow someones recommendation that went against what the maker of the product says to do? Idiot.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

who knew washing your car could cause such an uproar?

Old 06-28-2004, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Will NXT remove Zaino since NXT contains cleaning properties?
Old 06-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Chop-Foo Director

Some tests have shown that NXT does remove zaino.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by minivette
No he didn't answer my question dumbfuck. Why would I go and read on a forum somewhere and follow someones recommendation that went against what the maker of the product says to do? Idiot.
If you had the first clue about properly prepping your car's finish before applying any wax/sealant, you wouldn't be so cocky and you certainly wouldn't need Dawn.

Have fun with your Dawn and Zaino.

Last edited by ZaneO; 06-28-2004 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by absolut_speed
Will NXT remove Zaino since NXT contains cleaning properties?
do people tend to read anything within the SAME post? i just answered this question.

and minivette - just because zaino instructs you to use dawn does not mean they are correct. seriously, if you are going to get riled up and pissed off about it, just use the damn stuff. it's not our car, so we don't give a **** what kind of dish soap, bathtub cleaner, mildew remover, or clothes detergent you may put on your car. either way, there is no reason to argue about it. either look it up yourself to see that dawn and cars shouldn't mix, or just continue in your own stubborn way. and if you think we are wrong and that the zaino brothers are the gods of detail, then let us continue on in our own stubborn way and miss out on all the beautifully dawned paint that exists out there. it doesn't matter to us.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

I heard that those people with $3,000,000 winning cars at Pebble Beach have Dawn make a specific blend of dish soap based on the wax and car color... much like Zymol does
Old 06-29-2004, 07:15 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PendragonZ
I couldn't care less what some dork with a 3 million dollar car uses on his machine. Whatever it is, that person is paying too much.

For my car, I just use NXT. Looks good, great results.
Those people are filthy rich anyhow, they are spending chump change on their cars so the detailing supplies are pennies. Have you ever seen those cars man, you should go to an exclusive show sometime, the cars are like paintings, you can just stare at them, the shine of their cars is amazing. You'll probaly meet a ton of snobs but whatever, tell em you can beat the **** out of them
Old 06-29-2004, 08:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just to correct one OTHER misconception that's been going on in this thread (and there are many) , Meguiars NXT Tech Wax is NOT a polymer/carnauba blend. NXT has NO carnauba in it whatsoever. For those interested in getting TRUE and ACCURATE information on NXT, head to autopia and PM Mike Philips. He works for Meguiars and does have a bias toward meguiars products that he openly admits, but he also works on product development, teaches professional-level clinics, and has tried everything under the sun from Autoglym to Zaino.

In addition, regarding Dawn washing, this is the "lazy man's" way of "prepping" a car. The reason you'll find it on the Zaino site as recommended prep is because they aren't going to say "use another brand of polish to prep your car". Dawn is the politically correct and simple answer, but it is definetely a short-cut, and not a good one at that. Excessive use of Dawn can dry out and dull your paint. Using it infrequently isn't really a problem, but when you think about it, it offers nothing towards the finish of your car. PROPER prep, such as polishing using Menzerna, 3M, or Meguiars polishes will yield FAR AND AWAY greater results than washing with dawn. If you talk to some of the Zaino users here who are adamant about perfection, I'm sure you'll find that they probably use 3M or some equivalent polish to prep the paint beforehand. I'm a Zaino user (on light color cars) and I NEVER use Dawn. I always polish using Menzerna Intensive and Final Polish and then go straight to Zaino (after removing the polish residues with a 50/50 water/alcohol mix)

Bottom line here - Dawn washing is a bottom of the barrel slackers way of prepping a car. It does nothing except strip waxes off of your imperfect finish so that you can slather on some Zaino over all of your existing imperfections. A properly prepped car waxed with $5 Turtle Wax will look better than a dawn washed car covered in Zaino. Don't believe me? Bring your car to me and I'll prove you wrong.

-T
Old 06-29-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Very well put, Tom. The doubters are still going to be there...some out of ignorance and some out of pure stupidity.

You need to come around more often

Quick Reply: Zaino VS Maguires NXT.