Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gauges in hood cowl

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Gauges in hood cowl

I've been wanting to get an aftermarket hood to replace the relatively plain z28 hood. One other thing I wanted to do was put some gauges underneath the hood cowl. Has anyone done this? What hood would work best? I was thinking of the VFN 3" SS hood but I don't think that would work well in the rain considering how open the hood is... Would my best bet at that point just be a 4" cowl?
Old 06-30-2016, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Ive seen it done on some ws6 hoods but I dont think I have ever seen it on a camaro.

Cowl would have to be pretty wide other wise the gauges would be more to the center of the car I would think.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

They would be in the center. I'd angle them so they point more towards the driver. My only concern was getting a cowl tall enough without really blocking my view of the road.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got the VFN 4" and it took a little getting use to but it doesn't block my view AND there is plenty of room under there for gauges.
I thought about putting some gauges there but the VFN hood is actually functional. when it rains or after the rain the water gets sucked into the engine bay via the cowl. Air and water sucks right in there. Something to consider.... I thought about putting three gauges on top of my dash inside the car and angling them as if they're outside. The Ford mustang has a three pod kit that can be fabbed onto our dash that looks decent.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wasn't planning on mounting a whole lot of gauges under there. Prolly just fuel pressure, water temp, and A/F. Everything else I'd want is already in the instrument cluster.

Quick Reply: Gauges in hood cowl