Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Clear turn signal lenses?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 07:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by racecarz28
That's nice. I appreciate the input as to why I created the thread in the first place to get information not some smart talk from someone who could be across the us who wouldn't have done that if the question was asked face to face. 😊😊
Have you been here long enough to experience "smart talk" from the people that hurt feelings? If you haven't you'll come across these folks. Me being a smart *** was nothing compared to a lot of other people on here. Good luck with which ever way you go with your car
Old 09-20-2016, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank ya sir
Old 09-20-2016, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Wow, I've had clear lenses for years and never had the issues these guys are having. Always bought them on ebay, had them on every one of 5 Camaros. I will say, black housings popped bulbs like popcorn. Clear? Never had a problem. Get them for the lowest price you can find, its not like one place makes them special or anything.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All right man glad to hear that, I'm gonna give it a shot 30 bucks won't kill me
Old 09-21-2016, 02:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the clear lenses on my car. I'm on the second set as the first blew the bulbs and melted the housing. Second set did it once and I figured out the problem. After time the gasket on the light socket shrinks and doesn't seal as well. I got a replacement socket, swapped the gasket to the original on the car, and all my problems went away. I'm planning on replacing them again because they haze, but that's it. I use amber bulbs in the front and I'm going to test some LED's in the rear clear markers when I have time to get to it.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'll add that even though I've had these on 5 Camaros over the years, I switched to LED switchback bulbs on the Camaro I still have today. It wasn't blowing bulbs, I just wanted the LED look. The switchbacks have been in for a few years now, no issues.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the cheap chinese clear corners on my camaro and they only lasted a month before the bulb blew in one and you could see where it was melted from the bulb being too close to the plastic. I liked the look of them but had to go back to stock.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OK here's my experience.

Most of the corners you find on ebay are crap and will melt, deform, let water in, and pop bulbs (and fog up). Been there, done that.

Only ones that seem to last longer and not have these issues so bad are made by Depo I'm pretty sure, as they use a different plastic and have a metal heat shield in them just like OEM ones that prevent the bulb heat from cooking the plastic. Ebay seller neondials had them last I checked.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
OK here's my experience.

Most of the corners you find on ebay are crap and will melt, deform, let water in, and pop bulbs (and fog up). Been there, done that.

Only ones that seem to last longer and not have these issues so bad are made by Depo I'm pretty sure, as they use a different plastic and have a metal heat shield in them just like OEM ones that prevent the bulb heat from cooking the plastic. Ebay seller neondials had them last I checked.
You have me curious here, are the ones off Amazon the Depot brand? Because to be honest I never paid attention at the time
Old 09-22-2016, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Easy way to tell is look at the picture - if the black housing one has a chrome reflector behind the bulb, it is Depo. If it is just all jet black, or has an ugly orange dot on it, it is some cheapo thing.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Or you could use a heat gun on the factory lenses, and transfer the clear lens cover onto the factory turn signal.

Similar method to the whistler mod. Better to do it once the right way and not have to worry about it melting
Old 09-26-2016, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Easy way to tell is look at the picture - if the black housing one has a chrome reflector behind the bulb, it is Depo. If it is just all jet black, or has an ugly orange dot on it, it is some cheapo thing.
Ok cool, I got the Depo one then. Thanks for the info
Old 09-26-2016, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
They OEM bulb seals get squashed when putting the plug in the hole. The bulb is located to close to the housing. The bulb melts a hole in the back of the housing. Water seeps in through the hole for the bulb. Water seeps in through the hole created by the bulb. The bulb blows every month. What more do you need?
I have not had any trouble,yet with the clear/black lenses and LED's. They are a little harder to see the turn signal but not terrible.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

LEDs won't produce the heat the regular bulbs do, so that is one way to avoid the issue with the cheap housing.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

OK here's my experience.

My experience also but for $25 what do you expect. They have been on my car for years, I just deal with it because I like the clear lenses. I will however check into the depot ones you list, Thanx.

To the OP don't get butt hurt there are a bunch of azzholes around here.

Quick Reply: Clear turn signal lenses?