Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

99 Z28 Major Interior Overhaul / Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
With regard to the remote fuel shut-off - wouldn't that put your car in risk of being damaged if they're stuck in the middle of an expressway? I'd rather just have the GPS allow me to locate the vehicle once it's parked.
Well, I could GPS it to see where it is before shutting it down, but in regards to that - I recently found out that the device has a fail-safe.. It won't activate the remote shut off unless the vehicle is moving at 20 MPH or less. I could also use a two way relay and send divert power from the fuel pump to the hazard lights disabling the fuel pump and turning on the hazards at the same time hehe..
Old 05-10-2017, 04:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Progress Post:

Been up all day and night - wiring and soldering. It just seems like it never ends.
First, I spent all LAST NIGHT remote controlling my Joying Android Headunit from my laptop, applying ALOT of hacks. I can now bluetooth to any device, bluetooth tether data from my phone instead of mobile hotspot. Finally I fixed OKAY GOOGLE meaning I can now use it from any screen much like Android Auto. There were a few other things I fixed as well.
I got all the necessary wires run through the firewall. Removed my PCM twice. I have the outside temperature sensor wires run. Waiting on the sensor and socket for it. Also solved some issues with my front right turn signal not flashing. DRL module didn't want to engage it. Finally - I installed my fuel pump cutoff relay and wired it all up. Car still starts so everything looks good. I am just waiting on a few more small things and I can throw her back together and take her to get my Viper alarm / remote start installed.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whew..
It's FINALLY drivable.
It's like an entirely different car now..its almost unbelievable.

--Added my GSM/GPS tracker/remote fuel pump shutdown to my cellular plan
--Programmed the device to send me automatic updates of the vehicle's position
--Tested the remote fuel pump shutdown, it works.
--Final placement of: Dash Computer, 1 Terabyte External Hard Drive, USB Hubs.
--Soldered in my Cigarette Lighter replacement USB port
--Fixed "Ok Google" software in the Android Headunit to allow Google to vocally speak back (much less tedious while driving)
--Installed rear seatbelt guides
--Installed driver and passenger side kick panels
--Installed front seats
--Cleaned up carpet
--Installed Floor Mats
--REMOVED the LED Turn Signal Load Resistors..as it turned out my problem was with the DRL module. The Load Resistors produce alot of heat and that will cause issues in certain areas.
--Temporary placement of my alarm siren.
--Temporary placement of my outside temperature sensor.
--Reinstalled headlights..
--Took 1 badass Camaro out for a test drive with the T-Tops off and it was nothing short of amazing.

CASUALTIES AND BUGS LIST:

--I lost my gauge cluster bezel screws somehow.
--I lost the push clips kick panel retainers as well.
--The 12v to 5v converted USB Hub is causing a back feed issue when I plug the USB cable from the stereo into the USB Hub if the USB Hub is using external power..the backfeed issue is so great that it prevents the stereo from powering down even while the car is off and the doors are open. Removed external power from the USB hub, will likely install a diode inline of the USB hub power sources.
--The gauge cluster lights are flickering pretty bad when the headlights are on, not only this but the DIGITAL OLED speedometer also starts throwing eractic readings.. I think it's a wiring issue, but will be working with Oliver to resolve this
--The temperatur sensor is unfortunately pulling in readings from the engine heat.. I will try to find a better place to install it..I just haven't had the ability to jack up the car.
--I blew up my PLX device due to another backfeed issue, if you ever decide to use the PLX device, you MUST know that the OBD port it plugs into also has a ground in it..so if any device shares the same circuit as the PLX device, they will use the PLX device and OBD port as a ground, which will damage the PLX device, the solution is to remove the PLX device from the same grounding circuit as the rest of the devices and ground to the chassis separately.

PHOTOS:

==========================================

REMAINING WORK:

Current Phase:
--Relocate Temp Sensor
--Permanent install of alarm siren
--Install Viper Alarm with remote start
--Install Dash Cam (I already purchased one but waiting for it to arrive)
--Fix USB Hub power back feed issue
--Fix Dash cluster lighting issue at night
--ADD ENDORSEMENTS FOR ALL THE MONEY I SPENT TO MY INSURANCE POLICY
===========
Phase 2:
--Replace Carpet
--C6 Steering Wheel with stereo controls
FULL FEATURES LIST:

--Upgraded C4 Window Motors
--New Driverside Regulator
--PLX OBD Computer
--OLED Gauge Cluster
--Android Head Unit allowing for ALL Android Apps to be used
--Remote printing
--Videos
--MP3's
--Pandora, iHeart Radio, Google Music, Sirius XM, Netflix, Hulu and much much more
--Google Maps, Waze, Igo, and any navigation app that works on your phone
--Ok Google commands
--Torque & Talking Vehicle announcements
--Talking Calendar reminders
--New leather seat covers
--New carpet
--New Headliner
--New upper dashboard panel
--Painted all Tan trim panels Landue Black
--Redline Goods leather interior trim
--USB cigarette lighter replacement
--All courtesy illumination replaced with Hyper White LED's
A SPECIAL THANKS:

There is one other thing, I have to give credit where its due..as technically this car is a fabrication of combined work efforts from several sources..from the knowledge I received in the tech sections, to the physical hardware I received from members and commercial entities alike. There were alot of things I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to accomplish (especially the window motors) and alot of things I had to learn on the go.

Thanks to:
Lup
LT4vert
Fieroluke
Redline Goods
Princess from Lethal Interiors

Thanks for your assistance. couldn't have done all this without you guys.

EDIT: I'll have a video sometime this weekend showing all its features and everything I've done to it.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 07-26-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hi guys.
Well it looks like I'm one of the unfortunate members who was affected by the photophucket [purposely mispelled] scandal. I will eventually try to restore the images but it's going to take some time as look for a better image host and recollect all the images / redirect each image on each post I've made to date.

For now though, here is a video showing the completed project. I still have a few loose ends to tie up but I've been real busy lately.

Let me know your comments.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Throwing in an update.
I fixed all the images, probably only temporarily until I can get them rehosted and actually have the time to completely repost them.

I have had to make some remediations here and there as expected with a project this large.

The leather shifter boot came up so I ended up having to hot glue it into the center console. I'll have pics of that later.

For some reason, the headliner just wants to sag at the very front and sits just above my rear view mirror and gives a horrible view into the headliner from the front of the car, looks very cheesy. After a walk around I'm finding that several other areas are sagging too, like around the T-Top trim. I'm beginning to believe that the ABS plastic isn't taking too well to Georgia summers and is warping. For the front, I ended up drilling a hole into the roof and popping another headliner retainer in there and that seems to have resolved that issue but I havent had any chance to drive it in the rain with it like that.

I was turning around one day in my seat and somehow I accidently snapped my seatbelt retainer in half. I have a replacement on order.

So now for the window motors... Some have been wondering how the new motors were going to hold up. I've used the car for about a combined 3 months now and the window motors are still working flawlessly and very fast too. Very impressed with that mod. Overall I love what this car has become.

After driving this car for awhile in comparison to my 6th Gen I can feel how large the steering wheel is and I am going to upgrade to a Gen 6 Vette wheel fairly soon in the next half of my project.

So Phase 1 is complete.

In Phase 2 I'm going to replace the carpet (because its cut too short), upgrade the steering wheel and add radio controls, and install my viper alarm.

I drove it from ATL to Bowling Green KY and back this July for the CamaroFest as well and this car got ALOT of attention - What was really awesome was that it was one of like three or four 4th Gens there and people still loved it. Had no issues with the drive, but when I got home - on my way to work one night I nearly hit a baby deer... recorded by my dash-cam:

Old 08-24-2017, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great work! ten years ago this thread would have been 20 pages long by now with all the comments of. Good work! its truly awesome system you have there, and the seat covers are amazing! id love to get a set for my trans am!
Old 08-24-2017, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by addicted to eaton
Great work! ten years ago this thread would have been 20 pages long by now with all the comments of. Good work! its truly awesome system you have there, and the seat covers are amazing! id love to get a set for my trans am!
Yeah Im actually quite surprised by how dis-interested everyone seems about the outcome especially since it had such a large following in the beginning. Either way though, everytime I get in this car I just fall in love with it and cant believe how far I've taken it.

Thank you for the compliment.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly i feel like forums are pretty over looked with facebook being the craze. I was huge into GTP's years ago and was on the forums daily. Now, i just got back into them. Im really interested in your oled screen, And i love the seat cover!
Old 08-24-2017, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

FB took over which sucks because it is a crappy platform for a lot of things.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Looks great man!

Yea photophucket bs ruined alot of good threads. And i hate facebook
Old 06-17-2018, 02:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice. Been debating some interior work myself. How much did that dash and seats cost?
Old 06-24-2018, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

looks killer so far... great job
Old 07-16-2018, 04:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
Very nice. Been debating some interior work myself. How much did that dash and seats cost?
Some have had luck with the eBay dash, I wasn't one of them and since my original dash was already removed and broken beyond repair, I had to start with a new GM Dash... around $500. The eBay dash was around $300ish
The Leather Seat covers also costed around $500 for all four of them. I installed the seat covers and the seats myself though. Have a friend for that, its kind of a pain to install the new covers.

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
looks killer so far... great job
Thank you.

Not much other progress as of late, as of now the Z28 has kind of taken a lesser priority... hoping that changes again soon.

Quick Reply: 99 Z28 Major Interior Overhaul / Upgrades