Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Cheap ebay headlights. anybody use them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Cheap ebay headlights. anybody use them?

I've seen a bunch of Camaro headlights (oem style) on ebay in the $120 range for the pair. Has anybody used them? Mine have been polished and they're not bad, but new ones would look a lot better. Don't want to spend $300 for a set, I'd use the old ones first.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

don't do it. They will most likely leak or you'll have a hard time aligning
Old 03-03-2017, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm buying them for mine, but i'm cheap and can reseal them if they leak. I had many ebay headlights for other cars over the years and have never had a problem out of them though just not an f body.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

not worried about leakage, car is never in the rain. Looking mainly at cosmetics. Do they make the front end POP?
Old 03-03-2017, 01:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

If you are worried about cosmetics, then be prepared for fitment issues with any of the aftermarket headlight options. Part of the problem is the bracket; the two solutions seem to be to swap over the OE bracket and/or use shims to push the headlight further forward and close the gap between it and the bumper. Even then, fitment isn't always exactly as perfect as the original pieces.

And, for anyone interested, it's not possible to get the assembly line original housings from GM any longer. If you order from the dealer, you get the same aftermarket Depo housings that are sold for MUCH less all over the internet (the only difference with the GM version is the markings on the lens, but it's still made by Depo.)
Old 03-03-2017, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Why not buy the aftermarket lights and put the new lenses on your OEM housings. Since the aftermarket lenses have no where near the UV protection the OEM lights typically have, it would also be very wise to use clear film like Xpel ultimate( they do make a pre-cut 98-02 headlight kit), then coat the film with a ceramic coating.

Quick Reply: Cheap ebay headlights. anybody use them?