Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LED turn signal bulbs that are amber always

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LED turn signal bulbs that are amber always

I am about to replace both of my turn signal housings on my Trans Am because the old ones got cracks from the heat of the bulbs and now I'm going through bulbs like crazy. To prevent the new housings from meeting the same fate as my old ones, I was looking into LED bulbs. I found a lot of information, about switchbacks and a few others, but I am having the same problem with all of them. All of the ones I can find light up white when the headlights are on. I really do not like that. I want the DRLs to always be amber, and function exactly like stock. I want amber on when lights are off, fog lamps only, and when headlights are on, and I want it to flash amber off for turn signal. Can anyone point me to a good quality bulb that will do exactly what I want it to? From what I read the 48 SMT towers are good but all the ones I can find have the white and I do not want any white at any time. Also, bulb life is extremely important as they are pricey, and I can get housings for under $40 each, so if it's cheaper to just keep replacing the housings, I rather do that.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just did a quick search on Amazon and ebay for amber 3157 and got a ton of hits.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Triton LEDs have what you're looking for. They are expensive but buy once, cry once. By the time I tried all the cheaper LEDs could have been ahead if I would have just bought Tritons. All the cheaper bulbs would get washed out in daylight, and Tritons have an option to use your stock flasher, so you don't need to purchase that either.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool thanks for the info. I was looking at the Triton V3 but was put off by the price, so I am glad you posted positive info on them. I do want to just do it once and be done, and with brand new housings this just makes sense. I've probably went through over $100 in bulbs the past year because the stock bulbs would either overheat and blow up, or water got in when it rained and fried it that way.

I'll post back later with pics in case anyone cares.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did it turn out?

Quick Reply: LED turn signal bulbs that are amber always