Views: 136
Size:  318.4 KB

Name:  leftquartafter_zps69721b93.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  326.0 KB
Old 05-01-2017, 06:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok boys and girls.. All the info so far has been excellent, I'm getting excited to try it out.

I got a real good deal on a used (never used, still in packaging) Griots 21mm throw Boss, so I pulled the trigger.

I'm still learning so please be patient. I am just curious on which way to go for pads? There seems to be large price differences between all the companies? Griots, LC, Chemical Guys, Meguires etc?

Also.. my unit has the exposed screw that attaches the backing plate on.. can I just get 6.5 inch Velcro pads to put on there or do I need to buy the pads with the hole in the middle? The reason I ask is because there seems to be a lot more selection if I can get them without the hole and the price seems to be slightly cheaper per pad.

I'm still looking at polishs, compounds, waxes and I feel overwhelmed haha
Old 05-01-2017, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This thread got me all pumped up so I did some paint correcting this weekend. I have a question though. I taped off all of my gaps so now after I completed everything and removed the tape I have lines where compound has dried next to the edge of the tape. What's the best way to get this off? It doesn't seem to come off too easily by just rubbing it with a microfiber towel.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cnd99hawk
Ok boys and girls.. All the info so far has been excellent, I'm getting excited to try it out.

I got a real good deal on a used (never used, still in packaging) Griots 21mm throw Boss, so I pulled the trigger.

I'm still learning so please be patient. I am just curious on which way to go for pads? There seems to be large price differences between all the companies? Griots, LC, Chemical Guys, Meguires etc?

Also.. my unit has the exposed screw that attaches the backing plate on.. can I just get 6.5 inch Velcro pads to put on there or do I need to buy the pads with the hole in the middle? The reason I ask is because there seems to be a lot more selection if I can get them without the hole and the price seems to be slightly cheaper per pad.

I'm still looking at polishs, compounds, waxes and I feel overwhelmed haha
Since you went with the Boss polisher, I would recommend looking at the boss pads and polishing cremes.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 856 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by The Guz
Since you went with the Boss polisher, I would recommend looking at the boss pads and polishing cremes.
Why's that?
Old 05-03-2017, 01:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Why's that?
Simple they work. It was designed to work as a system. There are plenty of good videos on the griot's youtube channel that goes into detail on the boss system.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
This thread got me all pumped up so I did some paint correcting this weekend. I have a question though. I taped off all of my gaps so now after I completed everything and removed the tape I have lines where compound has dried next to the edge of the tape. What's the best way to get this off? It doesn't seem to come off too easily by just rubbing it with a microfiber towel.
Spray it down with a detailing spray and it will come right off with the microfiber.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

car wash with dawn, PC with Meguire 105/205. no polish yet. pic is of reflection.

you can do it, just take your time. My car not a show car, so I wanted presentable, but you don't need to over due it either. Some of the work posted in here by the other guys is very high quality and very time consuming. probably upwards of 20-40 hours or more my some of these guys.

this is the full car after about 3-4 hours of work. She's a 10' but looks much better now than all the oxidation I had on there.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Teching In

I love my rupes 21 Mark 2 da. I also have the rupes I brid and rupes lhr75. Pads I love the meguires microfiber cutting and Polishing pads. I also use the buff and shine uro fibre pads (can be used to cut or polish). There are a lot of videos on you tube check out
Obsessed Garage
AutoGeek
Esoteric auto car
Junkman
Ammo nyc
White Details
Auto Fetish Detail

A lot of knowledge in the videos. I am not sure what Compounds and polish you use. I like a few different ones. Jescar (Menzerna) compound and polishes are great. Sonax Perfect finish is great. Scholl Concepts S3 Gold Edition High Performance Compound.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont be afraid to have different brands at your disposal. I use a lot of Adams stuff, but some of his stuff doesnt really work for me so I also carry other brands. I dont think anyone has the best of everything, so try mixing it up.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:23 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys for the tips and youtube suggestions. I definitely learned a ton by watching ammonyc and junkman. I love how they lay out the information and they have changed the way I look at washing my cars.

I picked up Griots polishes for now to see how they go. When they run out, I might look at some other options to change it up.

Pads is what I am concerned about going forward.. I find them to be extremely expensive for what they are.. Once again I bought mostly Griots pads but as they wear out I will be substituting with Rupes / LC pads. I understand you get what you pay for to some degree, but is there a happy medium lol? Here is Canada its basically 20 bucks per pad.. The wife is starting to ask some questions haha
Old 07-02-2017, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cnd99hawk
Thanks guys for the tips and youtube suggestions. I definitely learned a ton by watching ammonyc and junkman. I love how they lay out the information and they have changed the way I look at washing my cars.

I picked up Griots polishes for now to see how they go. When they run out, I might look at some other options to change it up.

Pads is what I am concerned about going forward.. I find them to be extremely expensive for what they are.. Once again I bought mostly Griots pads but as they wear out I will be substituting with Rupes / LC pads. I understand you get what you pay for to some degree, but is there a happy medium lol? Here is Canada its basically 20 bucks per pad.. The wife is starting to ask some questions haha
I use lake country ccs pads. Theyre not as expensive as the rupes but are still very good.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Buff & Shine's new uro-tech pads and uro-fiber pads are nice. So are the Lake Country HDO pads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Detailing Guidance