Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Trans Am Cheap Bi-Xenon Projectors! Quad high & low!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
4 ballast total, 1 for each HID bulb. The y adapter is to split the low beam on each side into 2 so you can plug into each ballast. Hope that helps!
Do you mean split the low beam plug coming from the car into two separate plugs? So you could run all four at once? I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding, this is all a learning experience for me, and I definitely don't mean to hijack your thread. Thanks so much for the response!
Old 03-22-2021, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CeCeWS666
Do you mean split the low beam plug coming from the car into two separate plugs? So you could run all four at once? I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding, this is all a learning experience for me, and I definitely don't mean to hijack your thread. Thanks so much for the response!
Yep the low beam from the car needs to be split into 2 plugs on each side of the car. They need to be converted from H7 (I think) to 9005 plug. Then the y-adapter to split that into 2 9005 and they'll go the input side of each ballast on that side.

No worries on hijacking, glad to see it's still be used!
Old 03-22-2021, 10:00 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The 1998-2002 Firebird has H4701 (High) & H4703 (Low) bulbs and connectors stock. You'll have to cut those off and replace with the correct/applicable connectors for your setup (which in this case sounds like 9005). At that point, you can "Y" the wires or make a "Y" harness adapter.
The following users liked this post:
CeCeWS666 (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIP1
The 1998-2002 Firebird has H4701 (High) & H4703 (Low) bulbs and connectors stock. You'll have to cut those off and replace with the correct/applicable connectors for your setup (which in this case sounds like 9005). At that point, you can "Y" the wires or make a "Y" harness adapter.
There ya go! They are H7 (2 prong) style connectors on the 4701/4703, correct?
Old 03-22-2021, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Yep the low beam from the car needs to be split into 2 plugs on each side of the car. They need to be converted from H7 (I think) to 9005 plug. Then the y-adapter to split that into 2 9005 and they'll go the input side of each ballast on that side.

No worries on hijacking, glad to see it's still be used!
Okay, perfect. So I guess my last question (*hopefully*, lol) is high beams - do I cut off the factory plugs and tie the wires into the small red and black wires coming off the side of the projector?? This is going off of what I can see on the wiring diagram on AliExpress. I seriously appreciate all the help!
Old 03-22-2021, 05:21 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

There ya go! They are H7 (2 prong) style connectors on the 4701/4703, correct?
They are 2 prongs, but different size and shape than H7.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CeCeWS666
Okay, perfect. So I guess my last question (*hopefully*, lol) is high beams - do I cut off the factory plugs and tie the wires into the small red and black wires coming off the side of the projector?? This is going off of what I can see on the wiring diagram on AliExpress. I seriously appreciate all the help!
Yep exactly. tie both sets of red/black to the factory high beams. On this (and low beams) you should be able to crimp some male spade connectors instead of cutting plugs, but make sure to tape. Personally I'd cut them to eliminate any issues.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Yep exactly. tie both sets of red/black to the factory high beams. On this (and low beams) you should be able to crimp some male spade connectors instead of cutting plugs, but make sure to tape. Personally I'd cut them to eliminate any issues.
Thank you SO much!
Old 03-23-2021, 04:07 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Cutting down a spade connector to shove into the stock connectors will lead to a loose connection and melted connectors. Cut off the old connectors and solder or crimp on new ones.
The following users liked this post:
CeCeWS666 (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cutting down a spade connector to shove into the stock connectors will lead to a loose connection and melted connectors. Cut off the old connectors and solder or crimp on new ones.
I should have been more clear, I was referring to if someone didn't want to cut their stock connectors off. Some are funny about that kind of stuff.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:52 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I have melted stock connectors that say doing it the right way is better.

That was years ago before my current setup with an upgraded harness.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...rojectors.html
Old 03-24-2021, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have melted stock connectors that say doing it the right way is better.

That was years ago before my current setup with an upgraded harness.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...rojectors.html
Guessing black is the positive on f-body headlights? I can't recall, but assume so since it was the one that melted since it is pulling the current and not the ground/return wire. Did it melt from a HID setup? Just curious because we all know GM sockets suck, just like the 3157 sockets for the parking/turn/DRLs! No question about cutting and soldering/crimping is the best and only way to go.

​​​​​​​CeCeWS666 post pics on here when you get them installed, I'm looking forward to them. Any questions or issues, feel free to post on here. I truly miss quad high/low headlights, heck I miss owning a T/A period!!
Old 03-24-2021, 02:39 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Those melted because I had adapted a set of rectangular headlight housings to fit H7 Halogen bulbs and trimmed/cut the H7 spade/tabs to fit the stock connector. I don't remember which was ground, but probably the black wire. I guess it wasn't making good enough contact which lead to the heat. This was before the LMC Truck housings were available.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those melted because I had adapted a set of rectangular headlight housings to fit H7 Halogen bulbs and trimmed/cut the H7 spade/tabs to fit the stock connector. I don't remember which was ground, but probably the black wire. I guess it wasn't making good enough contact which lead to the heat. This was before the LMC Truck housings were available.
I think I know what housings you are talking about! I remember getting a set of them way, way back in the day when aftermarket HID kits just came out. I may have been one of the first ones to put HIDs on a T/A (had a NBM Firehawk #102) with a stock looking headlight, remember the HID kit itself cost $234! Crazy to think they're now over $200 cheaper and have been like that for years....for generic ones anyways.

I think they were Eurolight housings or something similar sounding.

When I got this white WS6, I was excited to try the LMC housings.... Severely disappointed, they seemed worse than than Eurolight and Bosche housings, but did start me on the Hella projectors and then to these bi-xenon projectors.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got curious so went back to find my old thread. Eurolamps, I was close. Embarrassed I ran them and 8000k bulbs. Granted this was all before anyone around here had aftermarket HIDs or even knew what they were. And back when Lexus HIDs were more purple than white, lol. Headlight retrofit (actual projector retrofit) was also a term no one uaed

Man, over 15yrs ago.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hids-pics.html
Old 03-25-2021, 08:27 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

The halogen housings I had were regular Philips or Sylvania or Wagner housings with the metal back that I hacked to fit an H7 bulb. They didn't stay on the car for long.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:28 AM
Teching In

CeCeWS666 post pics on here when you get them installed, I'm looking forward to them. Any questions or issues, feel free to post on here. I truly miss quad high/low headlights, heck I miss owning a T/A period!!
Will do! Thanks again! ​​​​​​​
Old 07-28-2021, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i know this is an old thread. i have the low beam projectors on my car and they are aimed terribly and i cant get them to point up any higher. mine are pointed basically straight to the ground. Did anyone still use the spring in the bottom corner???
Old 07-28-2021, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by autogeek23
i know this is an old thread. i have the low beam projectors on my car and they are aimed terribly and i cant get them to point up any higher. mine are pointed basically straight to the ground. Did anyone still use the spring in the bottom corner???
I definitely attached the stock springs on my projector mounts.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:02 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Which projectors? Hella 60mm? The bi-xenon mentioned in this thread? Something else?

Either way, pics would help. Maybe you are hitting/bottoming-out somewhere.

Quick Reply: Trans Am Cheap Bi-Xenon Projectors! Quad high & low!