Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Check out the new bling

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check out the new bling

Ok I painted the intake and also polished the water pump while I was at it. I was thinking about chroming the intake, but took advise from the board members and painted it. I think they both turned out pretty good. The only thing that I did not do was clear coat the intake. Should I clear it? I not sure exactly what the clear coat will do for me??? Will it help it shine and increase the gloss factor? protect it better????Need a little help here!!!!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Check out the new bling-dsc00383.jpg   Check out the new bling-dsc00386.jpg   Check out the new bling-dsc00378.jpg  
Old 06-28-2004, 05:38 AM
TECH Resident

I would clear it with a few coats. The clearcoat will help seal it from the dirt and heat, and also keep the gloss of the paint. Make sure to use an automotive clear coat, they have UV protectants in them. I like the water pump, looks like chrome!
Old 06-28-2004, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

How ong do I have to wait to spray it with the clear coat? Also can you wet sand the clear coat with a 1500 grit and buff it. Anyone tryed this??

Yeah that water pump looks good, but my hands are haiting me for it
Old 06-28-2004, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

I'd give the paint 48hrs to cure completey, then hit it with a coat of clear, wait w few hours, then give it another good coat. let this cure for a few days, then wetsand with 1500-2000 grit, then buff.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Both look awesome. How long did it take you to do the water pump. I remember doing mine and it took forever.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Everytime I see a painted intake. It makes me want to take mine off as well and have had it!
I'm just too scared to take mine off ......i'm afraid I might screw up something...
Looks sweet though!
Old 06-28-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Clearcoat the intake and awesome job on the pump!!!!
Old 06-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Looks awesome!! Great job. Should look really good when you get it cleared.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:33 PM
NKAWTG...N

is that black? just out of curiosity why did you paint it black? it is black to begin with. Only asking because no other real color would match my plans for the engine bay except black, so ive been trying to figure out if i just wanna leave it be or paint it black.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

theblur98ss- It took me about a 35 hrs. to get the pump to where it is 10 roughing with air tools, 15 sandinding hrs, 10 hrs buff and clean up. Yes it does take forever but the results are well worth it. i will post pics of the fininished engine bay when I am done. I tryed to keep the engine balanced with paint looking like the exterior of the car and blinding chrome and polished parts.

XtinctHawk02- I know what you mean , I been questioning on to do it or not to do it for a very long time. But dont worry about taking it apart is not bad once you get started. Plus there are a ton of help you can get here from the board and there are write ups on how to remove the intake. Let me know if you need any help I will be glad to.

So wet sanding and buffing will be Ok then. Looks like I have some more painting to do tommorow. Has anyone else wet sanded there intake after clear coating before????????
Old 06-28-2004, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stoleit
is that black? just out of curiosity why did you paint it black? it is black to begin with. Only asking because no other real color would match my plans for the engine bay except black, so ive been trying to figure out if i just wanna leave it be or paint it black.
Yes it is black, I put in a picture of my engine bay To show you why. I have the air filter box painted gloss black, the fenders are rubbed out. I was thinking chrome originally , but it would have been to much I think this is a more balanced look I think.

engine 1
engine 2
Engine 3
mirors
Old 06-28-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by berbieblackbird
I know what you mean , I been questioning on to do it or not to do it for a very long time. But dont worry about taking it apart is not bad once you get started. Plus there are a ton of help you can get here from the board and there are write ups on how to remove the intake. Let me know if you need any help I will be glad to.
Thanks! Will definately keep you in mind.

Jeremy

Quick Reply: Check out the new bling