Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Ceramic Coating

I would like some feedback on different ceramic coatings people have used. I'm getting ready to do a paint correction on my 2008 Yukon Denali, and since it's a daily driver, I'd like to apply a good ceramic coating. What have you used, how easy was it to apply, do you like it, how is it holding up, etc. Just looking for product feedback.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used CQuartz UK on the C7Z and I was really pleased with the results. It is holding up pretty well after maybe 3 months of use. The water continues to shed off the car and overall, everything stays cleaner. The application was a bit tricky but if you follow the instructions, it all worked out. It is not like applying a basic wax. I would grab a few extra of the suede applicators too as they should be switched often. Here are a few images.

Name:  20170401_170042_zpsdkav9h10.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  324.4 KB
Name:  IMG_20170401_172853_383_zpsbvrpreyv.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  80.0 KB
Name:  20170401_110350_zpsds4tdzix.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  302.6 KB
Name:  20170401_170047_zpssv80xzfw.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  244.3 KB
Old 07-17-2017, 05:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You have many options to choose from. Surprised you are not using the Adams coating.

From what I have used

Optimum Gloss Coat -

I am 50/50 on this one. What I mean by that is the performance and longevity claims of it. Optimum claims it will last 2 years and that it is a 3 year coating. Well on my uncles car that I applied it to, it failed sooner than the 2 year claim. There was nothing left on the paint.

On my dad's it seems to be holding up ok.

Optimum states it does not require a topper/rejuvenation type product and I have to disagree based on the results I have seen.

Ease of application is super easy. I would highly recommend using optimum hyper polish with this one as if it does fail early then optimum blames the polish used.

Sonax CC36 Ceramic Coating -

This is new for 2017. I was sent this one by the folks at Autogeek. It is a 2 part aerosol coating (base coat + gloss coat) applied with the provided applicators in the kit.

Application is easy. Aggressive water beading and sheeting. One of the best I have seen. It does feel a little less slick than some of the other coatings.

For a larger vehicle one would need two kits and the cost is up there. Best to get it when on sale. I will say the aggressive water behavior is impressive.

Cquartz TiO2 -

This one is pretty good. I had coated a little area with some and it did well. It was not a large enough area for me to say it is better than any of the others.

I recently coated my front bumper with this and it went on easy. Just as easy as gloss coat.

Cquartz UK -

I have recently coated my front bumper with this and it does not need a lot of time for it to be removed. It is a tiny bit more finicky than TiO2 but in the end it went on relatively easy.

What I have done is coated my front bumper on my daily driver with a base layer of cquartz UK + TiO2. What this does is that UK forms a stronger base and TiO2 provides a more stain resistant top coat. This was recommended by Corey at CarPro. I will be using this combo on a full vehicle shortly.

I would also consider using CarPro Essence as a primer polish prior to Cquartz. Will add some great gloss and it does contain a little fillers to fill in the minor defects that one does not want to fully remove.

I will be maintaining with Reload and Ech2o which is a pretty nice maintenance regiment and adds amazing gloss.

I have heard good things about GTechniq Crystal Serum Light + Exo V3. I have some but I have not had the chance to use it. If it is like their wheel coating then it will be a very easy application. I have seen some great water behavior videos of this combo.

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating V2 -
This did fairly well when I used it. It was going strong at 20 months before I re-polished the car it was on. Very easy to apply and maintain.

Gyeon is one of the newer companies on the market and they have some real nice offerings. I have only used Can Coat which is sort of like an entry level coating. It has a stated durability of 6-9months. Really nice water behavior and easy to maintain with Cure. I would recommend using Gyeon primer polish with any of their coatings. It will add gloss.

I did not make it easy on you but I would consider GTechniq or Cquartz first over Gloss Coat. Gyeon Can Coat and Pinnacle Black Label are good for someone wanting to get their feet wet with coatings. Can't forget McKee's 37 coating.

I forgot to mention that it is a good idea to do a decontamination wash 1-2 times a year to keep the coating at it's maximum performance without getting clogged with above surface contaminants.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I have settled in with Cquartz. It has never failed me and imo opinion is fairly easy to work with. My swap between Ti02 and UK is pretty temperature dependent. In the hotter summer months I use Ti02 and when its cooler I use UK. I prefer UK, but in the hotter temps you need to watch it as will flash really quick. Before I sold my last SS it was going on 2 years strong coated with UK. That was with regular washing, and maintenance washes as needed with Iron X, Tar X and snow soap. I use Reset for regular washing and though you dont need to I apply Reload once a month. When I did my Sunset Orange car I tried Essence finishing polish for the first time after the correction and was beyond happy with the results.

This was my red SS after about a year and half.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thank you for the feedback fellas. The Guz, I have not ruled out the Adams ceramic coating. I need to read some reviews on it to be honest. I assume you have not used it? 99% of the products I use are Adams and I've been impressed with nearly all of their stuff, so I'm sure their ceramic coating is a great product.

I need to place another major order of supplies, and the McKeey's 37 line of products has me intrigued. I've heard good things about it, so I'm thinking about giving their line a try. Anyone used their stuff? Were you happy? How did it compare to other brands you've used?
Old 07-18-2017, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Thank you for the feedback fellas. The Guz, I have not ruled out the Adams ceramic coating. I need to read some reviews on it to be honest. I assume you have not used it? 99% of the products I use are Adams and I've been impressed with nearly all of their stuff, so I'm sure their ceramic coating is a great product.

I need to place another major order of supplies, and the McKeey's 37 line of products has me intrigued. I've heard good things about it, so I'm thinking about giving their line a try. Anyone used their stuff? Were you happy? How did it compare to other brands you've used?
I have not used Adams coating. I have stopped using any of their products long ago. A friend of mine who lives near Adams headquarters messaged me back in May and told me that the Adams coating failed within 3-4 months. I have not spoken to him since then so I am not sure if it was revived with a decontamination wash.

I also heard it is a rebrand coating.

With regards to McKee's they are a great product line. I personally know Nick who runs the show at McKee's. I have used some of their line and every product I have used worked just as described. There will be a new version of the McKee's coating coming out in the next few weeks.

I would consider the combo of Cquartz UK + TiO2 or GTechinq CSL + Exo V3.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

The GTeching CSL states it's good for 3 to 5 years, while the Cquartz UK says it lasts about 2 years. Based on what I've read, it looks like the Cquartz UK is going to be easier to apply, but I could be wrong.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:31 AM
TECH Junkie

It is actually the other way around. CSL is easier to apply over UK. I would not buy too much into the longevity. The surrounding environment will play a large factor in the coatings performance. Maintenance as well.

If you go the cquartz route the UK + TiO2 is really good. Happy with it on the front bumper on my car.

Good graphic from GTechniq. I would recommend CSL + Exo V3. I will be trying this combo in a bit. Very impressive from the videos and photos.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating