Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Cracked trans am door panels repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cracked trans am door panels repair

I bought pre-99 graphite door panels. Allegedly these do not crack due to being made from different plastic than 99-02 panels.

I cut the full moon tabs which hold the arm rest and map pocket. I then cut the half moon tabs which hold the cardboard backing. I used wire cutters and an exacto knife. A dremmel with a cut off wheel might work better.

I took the panels and backing to an upholstery shop for recovering. The panels were done in a stock leather type pattern material. The cardboard backing were done in the stock black perforated material.

I then ground down the half moons into rectangular posts to make it easier to reattach the cardboard backing. I epoxied the cardboard backing to these posts. It held in all but two places. So I re-inforced with aluminum tape.

I was told that permatex black plastic welder 5 minute set might have worked better.

Next I used screws and bolts to reattach the arm rest and map pocket.

I used small zip ties to reattach the window sweeps. I
had to use a small drill bit to make the holes a little bigger.

Re-installed the insulation using contact cement and then put the door panels back on.

I also used gel krazy glue and epoxy to attach one of the hooks that was broken off.

The map pockets and arm rest were from a cracked ebony door panel.

Email me or PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by 30thanniv; 04-02-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

I find that the only epoxy that works on the type of plastic used on the door panels is 3M epoxy, the stuff used for SMC repair

worked great when I fixed my crack door panels, when permatex did not hold worth a dammm
Old 04-06-2018, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the write up!