Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Does anyone know how to wire dome lights under the dash?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know how to wire dome lights under the dash?

I was wondering if there is anything specific needed to wire some extra lights under the dash like in the following pics:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...44060035tmnxKv

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60958644jwseZM

PLEASE for the love of God, don't hijack this thread by responding with how ugly you think the pics are. I don't care that it's red or blue. I plan to use white, and I want them to work just like the dome lights, when the doors open and close.

Has anyone done this before? and if so, what is needed to complete this?
Old 07-05-2004, 10:41 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I actually like the blue one. I had something similar in my car for a time (allthough not as widespread). The red and blue are achieved with Neon/CCFL tubes which you can get almost anywhere (auto stores, PC parts stores, Walmart, Target...). It also can be achieved with LEDs.

If you want white light, you have a couple options;
* 12volt florescnet tubes,
* 12Volt incandescent bulbs (more diffiecult)
* LEDs (more difficult, although you may be able to find a light bar made for Computer customization)
Old 07-05-2004, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

VIP1, thanks for the response. I was kinda wondering if you could splice wires from the dome housings and install the same size bulbs under the dash. I'm not an expert in wiring, but I'm curious to see if that would work. Some LED's would be my first choice.

I know one member here had the tubes installed, but the lights stayed on and were wired with it's own switch... that's not really what I'm looking for. I'd like the same size bulbs (just under the dash) and I'd like them to work just like the dome lights. Any other suggestions???
Old 07-05-2004, 10:53 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

My setup was with the tubes and a separate switch. I used the cirgarete lighter circuit for power.

I guess you could tap into the interior light circuit for power as long as you dont draw too much power.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Launching!

yea vip1 is right streetglow makes various size tubes which will go under a dash eaisly on car i did i used velcro strips like the kind they use to bundle computer wires then hide the wires in the dash looks good not to ricey in my opinion
Old 07-07-2004, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have red lights under my seats...looks pretty wicked with the red pontiac dash lighting I have mine wired into the parking lights, however, so that when the lights are turned on, the under-seat lights come on. The dome light idea would work basically the same way, you'd just need to find a wire in the courtesy lights circuit to tap into.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

No ideas for just like the dome light, but if you want one that is only on when the car is on, you could probably use whatever wires they use to hard-wire the radar detectors. Try searching that if it's an acceptable solution. I plan to switch my floor lighting over from my cigarette lighter to that in the near future.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know how to wire dome lights under the dash?