Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Ceramic Coating

Hello all,

Curious who all in here has ceramic coated their paint? I am going to be purchasing my new car here in a week or so and want to ceramic coat / paint correct the entire car. Which brand do you recommend?

Thanks, Ray
Old 08-06-2018, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

I do paint corrections and ceramic coating. Cquartz uk is what I use.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:40 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Everything I've seen so far and people that have showed me their cars.....and talked to paint/body people.......its pretty good stuff for brand new cars and freshly painted cars....and cars with real nice clear coat finishes that have not started looking bad anywhere yet.

But I doubt its any better than the guy who does a nice wax/polish every 2-3 months like I do.....my paint looks just as good as anyone with ceramic coating.

As far as the ceramic coating offering better protection.....nobody really knows. And I'm skeptical when someone says that ceramic can be made into liquid form and then it also can miraculously dry perfectly clear. Its like when people started making "Teflon coating"......YEA, RIGHT....LOL......

I wouldn't waste your cash....

It looks AWESOME when finished....but so does any other nice polish job. I'd like to see how it holds up over a long time.......
Old 08-06-2018, 09:47 PM
TECH Junkie

I have my daily ceramic coated that I did over a year ago.
It sees automatic car washes and Minnesota salt and it still beads water.

A wax or sealant will NOT hold up that long.
Ceramics also beed water much better than any wax or sealant and imo give a much better look
Old 08-06-2018, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

You are not getting this look with a wax or sealant
Gt 350 that I did
Old 08-12-2018, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

My fiance's son had a 91 Z28 with bably oxidized clear coat. Body shop said a repainted was the only way to fix it. Turns out a clay bar, 3 stage paint correction and Cquartz ceramic coating was all that was needed.

Older cars are more likely to need extra prep before coating. The Cquartz has held much better than wax and polish in our experience.

The red 91 Z28 paint correction and ceramic coating by Tumblin Detail in Terre Haute IN.

Before picture, after 10 hours of working on the oxidized paint. Clay bar, 2x Meguiars scratch & swirl remover, 3 coats of #7 Mequiars to rehydrate the paint & 2 coats of #26 wax to seal..The finish would hold at this level for about one week before the chalky white oxidized clear coat showed.

One day on the hot sun and the red Z28 need more #7 to rehydrate the clear coat. White RS is the car in my sig.

Here is a good shot of the oxidized paint on the right side. Left has been corrected.

The 91 Z28 with 3 stage paint correction and Cquartz ceramic coating. The white haze is gone and stayed gone. Fixed and protected.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Another before

This was before paint correction and coating.

Tumlin Detail worked wonders on my 99 TA's 19 year old original paint and protected with Cquartz. To get good results older cars can require more prep. Clay bar and sometimes paint correction.

My 99TA with Tumblin Detail 2 Stage paint correction and Cquartz ceramic coating by Tumblin Detail in Terre Haute IN.

The car had original paint thats need much abused over 19 years. Paint abuse Included x-girlfiend's kid running a hot wheels car over the hood and scratching the paint in 2008. Sail panel bubbled in 2009 and was repainted. After paint correction and ceramic coating by Tumblin Detail in Terre Haute IN.

Scuff in rear bumper cover that happended1999 when TA was six months old is gone. Wife hit car with garage door opener. The scuff is gone. All other attempts to remove scuff had failed previously.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 08-12-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:31 PM
TECH Junkie

99 Black Bird T/A looks good.
Ceramics are incredibly durable and love the look it gives.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
99 Black Bird T/A looks good.
Ceramics are incredibly durable and love the look it gives.
Thank you, I agree Ceramics are A+.

​​​​​​My friends 2012 Grand Sport was done four years ago and is still amazing. First time I'd see ceramic durability in action.

The 2012 Grand Sport coated four years ago. The 91 RS will hopefully get coated next month.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Old 09-12-2018, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What brands do you recommend if cost isn't an issue? I ask because ceramic coating IS HOTTTT right now and ever company under the sun is selling "ceramic coating" but I'm skeptical on some of these being legit. I usually order from AutoGeek and was using DODO Juice for awhile but have been now using Wolfgang Concours Series and use Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating Shampoo which brings a pretty good shine out.

That water beading is the real deal!!! T/A looks amazing!!!
Old 09-12-2018, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by neblackshirts
What brands do you recommend if cost isn't an issue? I ask because ceramic coating IS HOTTTT right now and ever company under the sun is selling "ceramic coating" but I'm skeptical on some of these being legit. I usually order from AutoGeek and was using DODO Juice for awhile but have been now using Wolfgang Concours Series and use Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating Shampoo which brings a pretty good shine out.

That water beading is the real deal!!! T/A looks amazing!!!
The only ceramic I have dealt with is Cquartz uk and at this point in time I will not be trying anything else. I absolutely love it. I am a massive fan of all Carpro products.

Below are a few pictures. The first 2 are brand new micro sued applicator pads and the last 3 are applicator pads after the ceramic has cured.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've read some like to let it sit and cure anywhere from a couple hours to 24 hours before removing, how long do you wait? Do you use a DA for prep? Do you like to layer after cure and drying time?
I've seen some like to layer a wax on top 72 hours later and others don't. I'd think a high quality wax on top would really make it pop with a good depth look. Either way I want to really try ceramic coating and will make my work car my first guinea pig. Then I'll do my 01 SS then my 17 Ram Rebel as I hate cleaning trucks lol. My Boss bought a 2018 Raptor and went straight from dealer to detailer for ceramic coating and $2700 later still looks great. Said he can drive all week in the rain, then hit a drive-thru automatic wash and looks like he just hand washed it.
On my 01 SS we color sanded the whole car and looks great but I think ceramic coating would make that metallic in my pewter really stand out. My dad learned back in the late 70s how to color sand and paint correcting working at a Pontiac Dealership in Cleveland Ohio, guess the owner had every single T/A color sanded before they hit the lot.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

You DO NOT let the ceramic sit on there for hours. You let it sit on there for 60-90 seconds until it flashes then you wipe it off. If you apply it and leave it on for hours you absolutley will not be able to wipe it off and it will look like garbage.

As far as the guys applying wax over there ceramic..... It's just foolish and a waste of time. Your ceramic will be compromised if the wax even adheres to the ceramic by water not beading as well and the shine/ gloss will not be as great. They make ceramic based products to put on top of the ceramic. A wax is absolutely not one of them and a big waste of time.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

As far as prep....I do a full clay, full paint correction removing ALL swirls/ scratches before coating.

Me personally, I do not layer.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

That makes perfect sense what your saying, is there special car wash soaps or detail sprays to use on ceramic coating? I suppose you want a more ph balanced soap over an autozone soap that may contain an nasty cleaning solvent.

I think I was thinking of a paint sealant that you leave on to cure which I get confused over ceramic coating. Think some try to sell or pass on paint sealants as a "type or form" of ceramic coating.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by neblackshirts
That makes perfect sense what your saying, is there special car wash soaps or detail sprays to use on ceramic coating? I suppose you want a more ph balanced soap over an autozone soap that may contain an nasty cleaning solvent.

I think I was thinking of a paint sealant that you leave on to cure which I get confused over ceramic coating. Think some try to sell or pass on paint sealants as a "type or form" of ceramic coating.
That would make more sense if it were a paint sealant. I will usually let those cure a hour or so.

Yes there are washes, detail sprays ect. made specifically for coatings. Carpro makes a soap called reset that is amazing.

After your car is coated there is a big difference in appearance using reset as opposed to some walmart car wash soap.

If you go to Carpro's web site if list all the products and give a very detailed description on there uses. It really is endless lol
Old 09-12-2018, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So I just had a shop charge me over 500 to do my car. I am not happy with their work at all. There any many scratches still under the ceramic coat. What do you recommend on removing ceramic coating?
Old 09-12-2018, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by camarodude87
So I just had a shop charge me over 500 to do my car. I am not happy with their work at all. There any many scratches still under the ceramic coat. What do you recommend on removing ceramic coating?
My guess is they only threw some coating on without prepping the surface once so ever.

Imo I would leave it until you're ready to have a full paint correction done. Using a machine polisher with a compound or polish will remove the ceramic also.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

To bad you're not in Minnesota, I would be more than happy to get ya squared away.