Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LF Dash Swap info + Tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post LF Dash Swap info + Tips

So, I am about to embark on a long painful journey of modernizing my 2000 Firebird. One of the items on my list it have a less bubbly shaped dash. The information is hard to come by and even my searchbuttonkungfu has failed here. What knowledge and resources are out there along the lines of easy to compatible-with-work dash swaps? Primarily I am interested in getting a c5 dash into the fbody. Before buying a lot of parts to find out it is impossible, does anyone have some insight? I am not worried about any buttons or the cluster working, this is all about fit. Cluster, radio, HVAC controls will all be replaced and digitized. Thanks for the information ahead of time!
Old 01-14-2019, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I've been looking into this too. Basically it seems like the gen 3 f-body dash works and beyond that it's all custom. The distance from the face of the dash to the base of the windshield is too long for old stuff to fit and the width doesn't quite match the newer stuff.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured the custom dash would pose a problem, but equally easily can be custom made to fit the gap which remains. Main concerns is width and how it sits on the steering column. I figured the air plumbing can be routed to work and a bit of metal fab work to line up the airbag and future infotainment system. What I don't know is all the things I don't know to think about xD so hoping at least 1 person on here has some knowledge on the subject and can share some "gotcha"s . From the pictures below I can see some bits of differences for the underbodies but untill i start hacking away at mine, I am unsure to the full extent. This is the best picture I can find of a 4th gen Fbody with no dash installed =\

Old 01-14-2019, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Not running the airbag and using flexible ducting for the hvac makes it much easier. You're going to need to use some metal straps welded to the substructure to create mounting points for the dash to attach to. Then it's just a matter of sectioning the new dash and using fiberglass to get the right fit. It's not as easy as the old days with the steel dash and minimal wiring and ducting underneath.