Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Aftermarket Carpet Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 05:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Aftermarket Carpet Options

I am looking for a new carpet for my 99 ss. It doesn't have to be an exact match in color, it just needs to be a black molded carpet. It also doesn't need to be backed like the stock unit, but if it that's ok. I preferably want a carpet that doesn't yet have the holes/slots for the console, as I am doing a console delete in the car. I have seen a bunch around online but most seem to have the holes pre cut. Does anyone know of one that does not? And if there isn't one around what seems to be the go-to for a decent fitment?
Old 01-31-2019, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 208 Likes on 160 Posts

I'm in the process of doing the console delete. I bought the molded carpet from Speed Inc. They offer black carpet also. The front of the carpet has a slit cut into it down the center to the shifter.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LaBLKv6Z
I'm in the process of doing the console delete. I bought the molded carpet from Speed Inc. They offer black carpet also. The front of the carpet has a slit cut into it down the center to the shifter.
I was actually going to call them today. Do you happen to have a picture of the slit? I'm wondering if I can get away with it without it looking too bad with the separation.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm interested to see pictures of the console delete, I've been thinking about doing it to my car for a while since it isn't my daily and don't really need the storage or anything. also interested in the carpet without holes cut in it since i removed the rear seat and it will ever be going back in and want to cover up the bracket and seat belt holes.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05
I'm interested to see pictures of the console delete, I've been thinking about doing it to my car for a while since it isn't my daily and don't really need the storage or anything. also interested in the carpet without holes cut in it since i removed the rear seat and it will ever be going back in and want to cover up the bracket and seat belt holes.
Here's a few I found of just a shifter in place. I plan on keeping the parking brake. I'll probably make a plate to cover the lower brake mechanism as well as act as a plate mount for a shifter. I'm really looking for a hurst quarter stick, but they don't offer a 4 speed option anymore. If all else fails I plan on a b&m prostick.

Aftermarket Carpet Options-photo272.jpg

Aftermarket Carpet Options-photo160.jpg
Old 02-01-2019, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i was worried about the parking brake and how to cover the lower mechanism up, but that looks good! my only other issue is my 2 step and cutout switches are mounted in the ash tray so I'd have to find another place to hide those.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 02-04-2019, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Is that the full length version? How far back does it go compared to stock?
Old 02-05-2019, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old carpet is beneath the new carpet.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fitment isn't perfect but it'll work for my application.

Still need to get a boot for the E'brake handle.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

that looks good! did you leave the front brackets for the rear seat bottoms or cut them out? my car will never have back seats (i have fixed back buckets so no one is getting back there anyways besides my dog) so was thinking i would just cut them out.

side note, i have the same sparco wheel in my car but your looks to be in way better condition lol i need to find a way to clean the swede that has been matted down from usage.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Carpet looks good. I decided to just go for it and bought the full length one in black. Now all I have to do is worry about making a bracket to mount my quarter stick, and make a small box to cover the airbag module and the parking brake gear.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GtoProject
Carpet looks good. I decided to just go for it and bought the full length one in black. Now all I have to do is worry about making a bracket to mount my quarter stick, and make a small box to cover the airbag module and the parking brake gear.
Good time to use those tupper ware containers with missing lids.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Was the speed inc. carpet any lighter than the factory stuff? I heard recently it's just a factory replacement and weighs the same. I'm still looking for lightweight carpet but I don't wanna use paper thin Ozite.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheBigAL
Was the speed inc. carpet any lighter than the factory stuff? I heard recently it's just a factory replacement and weighs the same. I'm still looking for lightweight carpet but I don't wanna use paper thin Ozite.
It's just about the same weight. They say that you can remove the backing with a razor to severely cut the weight.

I'm just finishing up my shifter mount/cover for under the carpet. I'll have pics later tonight
Old 04-13-2019, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

I don't see on the site how to choose between the short and full length carpet, or is the +70 option the longer carpet? It only says something about more padding
Old 04-13-2019, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
I don't see on the site how to choose between the short and full length carpet, or is the +70 option the longer carpet? It only says something about more padding
That's odd. The description still notes the length change, but the option doesn't seem to be there anymore. I would give them a call
Old 04-13-2019, 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Did you go with the ebony or black?

I have an ebony interior but I've had some things recovered and I've debated on black or ebony
Old 04-13-2019, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
Did you go with the ebony or black?

I have an ebony interior but I've had some things recovered and I've debated on black or ebony
I just went with the standard black. It rained all day today so no install pictures as of yet.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

I got some pictures of the shifter mount and tunnel cover. I made it in two pieces and utilized the stock console mount points front and rear as well as made a custom bracket in the middle with studs to hold the plates and shifter. I still have to add some metal to the passengers side in order to make a smooth transition to the floor, but otherwise it’s coming to shape decently. I mounted the airbag controller securely beneath the entire assembly where it cannot be touched and where all the wiring attached to it is still able to reach where it needs to. I also wired the shifter to a 5 pin gm weather-pack connector for ease of install. Once I have the passengers side blended to the floor and get my square plugs in to cover the rear mount holes I’ll be able to lay the carpet over the entire assembly and reinstall the shifter over top. I’ll eventually make a small “console” under the dash area in front of the shifter with usb plugs for chargers and an area to hold phones and I’ll figure something out to use for a parking brake boot. Otherwise it’ll just be carpeted in the main tunnel area.