Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

t top weather stripping, foam inserts

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 901 Likes on 642 Posts

Default t top weather stripping, foam inserts

I posted this in the paint/body section a week or so ago with no response. I thought this may be a better place. I'm in the process of deep cleaning my 2000 Firehawk. The car has sat for a while and its...well honestly its disgusting. Gunk everywhere, dirt, etc. So I'm going down the rabbit hole of taking everything I can off to clean it. Front and rear bumpers, mirrors, trim, etc. Everything is getting cleaned, polished and coated.

Anyhow my question is this. I removed the t top/door weather stripping. On the A pillar and B pillar, where there are channels screwed to the body to hold the weather stripping, there is foam. What it looks like is the foam is sandwiched between the channels and the body. On the edges the foam extends out of the weather stripping. I have not been able to find these anywhere. I have considered buying some similar foam and cutting it into the pieces needed. In some areas it looks like the foam may serve a purpose under the weather stripping. My guess is it's used to put pressure on the rubber where the t tops sit to keep it from leaking. I've attached some pics to better explain what I'm talking about. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 901 Likes on 642 Posts

It is amazing that I'm the first person to ever take the ttop/door weather stripping off one of these cars.