Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

FlipKey for 2001 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 02:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default FlipKey for 2001 Firebird

I just got a flipkey working on my 2001 Formula.

I bought this key:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/I-KEY-STYLE...Y/362506654174

There are others, but I didn't want one that looked like an Audi since I have one of those for my Mustang.

I ordered a new stock-style key with the correct resistor pellet in it and trimmed the blade to fit in the flip key. The first cuts I did were to trim off the sides of the square head of the key to get just a long blade (See pic below of key blank). Then I eye-balled length and notched the end to fit in the flip head. Once I got the key blade trimmed to fit in the flip head, I slid the trimmed key blade in and used a small drill bit in the retention pin hole to drill the notch into the key blade. after cleaning it up, I pushed in the pin to lock the blade in place. Also, the chip in the key blade hit the body of the flipkey and wouldn't let it close all the way so I trimmed the body where it made contact with a conical stone in a rotary tool. I highlighted that area in a pic below.

Before doing any of this, get the new key blank cut by a locksmith and make sure the car starts with it.

Here is a video I found on it:
(3:22 is where the modding starts)

Since our key is different than the one he started with, you'll have to cut and trim a bit differently to get it to fit right. Its not that bad.

The f-body has a separate door key (which I rarely use). I'm going to try and cut one down to hide inside the flip key.

They key programmed to the car just like any other.
I followed these instructions to program the key fob:
https://northcoastkeyless.com/2001-p...-instructions/

Last edited by VIP1; 08-25-2019 at 04:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
themealonwheels (08-26-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 03:28 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Here is the flipkey I got for my 2013 Mustang. I've had it for some years. I don't have the link to the one I purchased anymore.

This is much easier for the 2013 Mustang. You just need to pick the one you like, get it cut by a locksmith and program it to the car.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:29 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Since the Firebird has a separate door key, I hid it inside the flip key.

I had a new door key made and cut off the key ring section to make it fit. There was a small white test connector in the flip key that I removed for additional space. It is highlighted in one of the pics (already removed). That connector is just a test port and not needed for the fob to function. To keep the key from sliding and shorting out the fob, I made a cardboard sleeve for it. It's not pretty, but it's functional and hidden.

Last edited by VIP1; 08-25-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:49 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Here are pics of the key in the tumbler.
Looking at it installed, I could probably have made the key shorter, but I didn't want to risk it.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice find, will definitely be doing this. Its a trivial thing, but once you get used to the fob keys in newer vehicles, its nice to have everything in one little fob. I had no idea this existed. Awhile back I had thought about trying to convert 10-15 Camaro flip key but lost interest.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:04 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Love it. Definitely updates the feeling of the car a little. Does the “fob” part fit between the two tabs on the lock cylinder? So could the key be cut down enough to allow the fob to be more flush with the key cylinder( it does kind of look goofy sticking off the column) 🤔
Old 08-26-2019, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Very cool, I had never thought of doing something like this, but my GTO's key has bothered me since purchase. I wonder...
Old 08-26-2019, 12:29 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Here is the key held up against the ignition tumbler. It fits with space to spare between the tabs. You can trim the key shorter if you want to make it sit closer than I did. Just be careful not to make it too short.

Here is this "GM" key compared to the Audi-Style one I have for my Mustang.

Here is the inside of the Audi-Style Key. I don't think there is room to hide the door key.

Last edited by VIP1; 08-26-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice !
Old 09-02-2019, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

wish i had the skill to do a Audi style for my camaro!
Old 09-19-2019, 10:59 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I ended up buying the Audi style you have for your mustang for my camaro from the same seller but cannot get it to program. Waited for a replacement from seller but the new one doesn’t program either. Seller is telling me to try having it programmed with a tech2 scanner instead. The original key fob programs like it should so I know the car is going into program mode and accepting the remote, but the Audi style one won’t work. It seems the little led indicator on it only flashes for approx 8 seconds but the car takes approx 15-16 seconds before the programming is accepted on the original remote. I’m Leary to even try going the tech2 route as I’m not going to go buy one, so id have to find a shop to do it for a reasonable price.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by scj
I ended up buying the Audi style you have for your mustang for my camaro from the same seller but cannot get it to program. Waited for a replacement from seller but the new one doesn’t program either. Seller is telling me to try having it programmed with a tech2 scanner instead. The original key fob programs like it should so I know the car is going into program mode and accepting the remote, but the Audi style one won’t work. It seems the little led indicator on it only flashes for approx 8 seconds but the car takes approx 15-16 seconds before the programming is accepted on the original remote. I’m Leary to even try going the tech2 route as I’m not going to go buy one, so id have to find a shop to do it for a reasonable price.
This is my biggest reservation to trying something for my GTO: will it program?

Quick Reply: FlipKey for 2001 Firebird