Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear window plastic trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Rear window plastic trim

On my 98 Camaro, my rear window came with a hard plastic trim around the outer edge. For years the L-shaped corner piece on the driver side has been slightly loose, and recently that piece was lost. I can't locate any part numbers in the factory parts manual that correspond to any portion of that rear window trim. Any leads on what to search for to repair/replace it?
Old 08-27-2020, 12:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally, this trim piece was actually a somewhat flexible vinyl (rather than a hard plastic), but they do tend to harden and crack with age. GM updated the rear (and front) window trim very early in the 2001 model year to a version that was more matte in finish (and even less resistant to UV fade/damage) than the glossier 2000 and earlier version. The earlier version has been discontinued for quite some time, but I don't think you can get the later matte version at this point either. For windshield replacements, I see folks using universal type trim provided by the glass shops - I guess there must be a similar option for the rear hatch glass as well.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

I did notice in the parts catalog the differentiation between the model years. I believe this is the correct diagram; what throws me off is the description of 'weatherstrip'.

But I also found the following; I'm not sure which part(s) I'm attempting to replace. I presume 9 is under the liftgate, and 2 is the part I want, but I don't recognize 3. What's the different between 10 above and the similar parts below?

Old 01-15-2021, 11:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Now the urethane has started to separate at the bottom of the rear glass. I found a local shop that'll replace the urethane; but they've called the dealer and all his glass suppliers and the molding is not available. He is saying the window trim is cosmetic, not functional. He says he could easily remove the old trim and leave it as bare glass around the edge and only replace the urethane. It would be difficult to replace that trim later (if parts become available) if we only replaced the urethane now.

I thought there was a little lip on the trim under the glass that helped guide water from dripping into the interior when the hatch was raised? I want to replace the urethane soon, but undecided on whether to leave the OEM trim in it's current condition (starting to come off by itself on the entire driver side), or completely remove it all.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Instead of a new thread, I'll try adding it here. I also heard a rattling today with the window down. I now have a piece of plastic that came loose from inside the edge of the driver T-top. Not sure of it's purpose, if I need to worry about a fix or if I should just pull it the remainder of the way off and forget about it?
Old 01-18-2021, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just took mine off all the way around when it started peeling and oozing. I cleaned the glass and left it off, I think it looks better without it.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
I just took mine off all the way around when it started peeling and oozing. I cleaned the glass and left it off, I think it looks better without it.
Any chance you can post some pictures of how it looks without the molding? Any problems with water dripping inside the carpeted rear hatch area when there's pooled water on the hatch and you lift it up?

I talked to Hawks Motorsports today. They claim a reproduction rear window molding is in the works and they expect to offer it this spring. I'm leery to wait that long though.

Last edited by JimMueller; 01-29-2021 at 09:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-19-2021, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
Any chance you you post some pictures of how it looks without the molding? Any problems with water dripping inside the carpeted rear hatch area when there's pooled water on the hatch and you lift it up?

I talked to Hawks Motorsports today. They claim a reproduction rear window molding is in the works and they expect to offer it this spring. I'm leery to wait that long though.
My car is a garage queen and doesn’t get wet, but I think the only functional purpose of that trim is to protect the glass edge.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
My car is a garage queen and doesn’t get wet, but I think the only functional purpose of that trim is to protect the glass edge.
Thanks for the photos, that sets my mind at ease. Still trying to setup the job; I'm being told R&R'ing the urethane will destroy the molding. $200 labor, $16 for the urethane, I don't consider that cost to be excessive. If I ever come across another new rear molding, I'll still buy it and re-evaluate options for getting it installed.

Last edited by JimMueller; 01-31-2021 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You might want to try 3M Black Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive. It worked amazingly well on one of the upper corners of my windshield molding that was coming loose.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by patSS/00
You might want to try 3M Black Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive. It worked amazingly well on one of the upper corners of my windshield molding that was coming loose.
I have to R&R the rear window seal, a process that destroys the molding, and I can't find rear molding. Don't want water intrusion, so the molding will be coming off for the foreseeable future.

Quick Reply: Rear window plastic trim