Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Polish and Wax for a Black Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polish and Wax for a Black Z

What is the best polish and wax for a black car. I have minor swirls which I want to remove. My car is not garaged so portection has to be there for morning dew and SoCal Sun. Last owner covered the car dirty so it has very fine scratches on finish. I do not think I will cover the car any longer since it damages the paint more than in it portects.

I would prefer a porduct that I can buy from Pepboys or Autozone. However, if there is a product head and shoulders above generic brands I will order through intrenet.

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Check out Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover or 3M's Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Paints . You should be able to get either at a Pepboys or Autozone I think (They have them at Murray's here). As far as the "wax", what is the look you are going for? Are you looking for ultimate durability? Ultra high gloss? Depth and wetness?

I wanted a very deep and wet look, so I used Meguiar's #81 Hand Polish followed by #26 High Tech Wax. (You might not be able to find #81 locally, #5 New Car Glaze or #7 Show Car Glaze may work instead)

I've heard great things about the 3M glaze and wax combo, as well as NXT. S100 is supposed to be awesome (You can get it at a Harley dealer)

If you want to order over the internet, Zaino is a popular sealant around here, very durable and ultra glossy. I prefer the richer look of carnauba on dark colors, but a lot of people like the Zaino look.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

If you're leaving it outside all day I think you'll be much happier with Zaino as the sealant (instead of a wax).
Old 07-20-2004, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

First off, there is no best of anything. Best is a subjective term of the user.

IMO, the better products have to be ordered. I'm assuming you probably don't have a Porter Cable or similar buffer. Products that will do a decent job with removing swirls and scratches by hand would be Poorboy's SSR 2, 1Z Paint Polish, Meguiar's #82 Swirl Free Polish, etc.

You can find them at: www.motorcitypoorboys.com - www.autopia-carcare.com - www.autogeek.net

Wax or Sealant is up to you. Most people are going to tell you Zaino, but I do not like the way Zaino looks on dark colors. Some good options are Wolfgang, Poorboy's EX, Klasse AIO/SG, etc.

Products that are found locally that will do an okay job are - Meguiar's ScratchX, 3M SMR 39009, Meguiar's NXT, S100 Carnauba wax, etc.

Make sure you pick up a clay bar. Clay Magic is sold at Auto Zone. Proper prep work is the key to making your car look nice.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask or PM me.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

The most important part of your "job" is prepping the paint. you said you have swirls.
the 3m swirl remover for dark cars works o.k by hand and somewhat better by power.
you could follow this up with liquid glass and then meguiar's nxt. this would look
good. if you want killer, you need power, and quality stuff.
back to the point...get the swirls out and you have got endless options for topcoats
if you don't, expect average or so results
Old 07-20-2004, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OWENMUSTANG
The most important part of your "job" is prepping the paint. you said you have swirls.
the 3m swirl remover for dark cars works o.k by hand and somewhat better by power.
you could follow this up with liquid glass and then meguiar's nxt. this would look
good. if you want killer, you need power, and quality stuff.
back to the point...get the swirls out and you have got endless options for topcoats
if you don't, expect average or so results
I'm glad there somebody else out there that understands what it's all about.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine is black and I used Meguiars NXT Tech Wax. I thought it did a great job. I didn't want to go ***** out on wax/sealing. I've got other crap to do. Took me about 2 hours and you can get it at Target or auto stores. I'm going to go over it once a month just for S & G's. I also bought the Tech Wax quick detail stuff. Works nice, too.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by joedrum71
Mine is black and I used Meguiars NXT Tech Wax. I thought it did a great job. I didn't want to go ***** out on wax/sealing. I've got other crap to do. Took me about 2 hours and you can get it at Target or auto stores. I'm going to go over it once a month just for S & G's. I also bought the Tech Wax quick detail stuff. Works nice, too.
Thanks for the replies.

My other two cars sit in the garage. However, my daily driver Z sits outside and morning dew and sprinklers gets the car wet. I need a product that will stops these ugly water spots. Any suggestions?

Thanks.,
Old 07-20-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Nothing stops water spots. A sealant will make them easier to remove, but it has to be a daily thing. You can't let water spots sit and expect for them to come off easily.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up I would have to say...

"in my opinion", I would go with either Zaino or Meguair's. Both make an EXCELLENT product/products for your needs!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Old 07-20-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just my opinion, wolfgang.

i leave my purple Z outside too, so it sees all of the elements and all that they have to offer. if you do not mind spending alittle more, this is my choice. i have used nxt and it works well. but the cars i used it on get garaged. but durability is not too bad.

Quick Reply: Polish and Wax for a Black Z