Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

93-02 Trans am Wicker bill

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Default 93-02 Trans am Wicker bill

So since I'm now on the trans am rear bumper and hatch crew id like to purchase a wicker bill for my formula . No one makes one for the trans am and I've never seen one done . I've seen it done with the formula/firebird hatch.

Does anyone want to try something and get the ball rolling or give me some ideas. I need something to tide me over until I get a mecham ta spoiler.
Old 04-12-2022, 01:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 354 Likes on 267 Posts

Aren't they just tinted plexiglass bolted on? Not particularly my cup of tea, but if i were gonna try it I feel like it would need to have a right angle flange to get the structure. So 4 or 6 of those and a piece of material but to wrap around the shape of the spoiler shelf. I'd start with some poster boards to get the shape you want.

From there find you someone local that does water jet or lazer cutting and give them your template. The material from what ive seen shoukd be flexible enough to wrap around the spoler shape as long as you stop at the edges before the harsh turn.

I'd be leary of putting screws into it the spoiler, but self tappings is probably your best bet or you would have to go all the way through
Old 04-13-2022, 10:42 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 188 Likes on 142 Posts

Google Search for "Gurney Flap" and you may get better results searching (and a Wikipedia article with the story behind it). I haven't seen any on 4th Gen Firebird though.

On other cars though, I've seen two kinds in the aftermarket. One kind is a glue-on or bolt-on vertical "wall" that installed at the trailing edge / backside of the bumper or existing wing. The other kind is a glue on curved strip on top of the wing or bumper at the rear.

(Hopefully the pics of the two styles appear below.)

Also, Mecham used to make a custom Trans Am wing with a curve-up trailing edge. I don't know if it is still made though. (Pic below as well)

There was the Heritage concept car.

Looks like others have also installed custom/alternate wings

Looks like RK Sport used to have a similar wing too. I don't know if it is still available.

Threads with other pics of wings
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-firebird-1967-2002/490376-spoiler-options-98-02-t-s.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/877158-rk-sport-rear-spoiler-ta.html

Last edited by VIP1; 04-13-2022 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: 93-02 Trans am Wicker bill