Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Dashpad Cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 08:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dashpad Cover

I know several years ago people where replacing their cracked dashpad by retrofiting the Dashskins cover to be an actual replacement.

Has anyone tried this one: https://legacyautoaccessories.com/pr...er-dash-cover?

The description says it is an actual replacement and not just a cover.
Old 01-23-2023, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

The most recent review is concerning and the website is pretty simple. We all have become accustomed to logistic delays in parts but the lack of communicating with customers is troublesome. Hopefully this is legit and an option for dash pad replacements.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah the website is not much...that's why I was looking for anyone with experience.
It seems logical someone in the aftermarket would be making the dashpads since they all crack.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 98ws6blk
It seems logical someone in the aftermarket would be making the dashpads since they all crack.
These are still available from GM, the part number is 10422746 for the '97-'99 "Dark Gray" (RPO 14I) version. I don't have the part number handy for the 2000-'02 "Ebony" (RPO 19I) version but I imagine it, too, is still in production based on the older one still being available. Price is ~$460 + shipping (of course shipping is insane) from GMPD.

Obviously this aftermarket one is much cheaper, but the market might be limited if getting the price down to this point requires some sort of cut in quality vs the OEM version. The initial reviews sounded great but they are too new to speak to longevity/durability of the item, and that last one is definitely concerning. If you end up having to buy it multiple times due to shipping damage (or even warranty claims, as this item seems recent so there's no reference for longevity) with zero customer service (like that last review), then you might end up spending nearly as much as just getting an OEM one.

Just worries me a bit that the contact method is so limited with this company.
The following users liked this post:
jybravo70 (01-26-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
These are still available from GM, the part number is 10422746 for the '97-'99 "Dark Gray" (RPO 14I) version. I don't have the part number handy for the 2000-'02 "Ebony" (RPO 19I) version but I imagine it, too, is still in production based on the older one still being available. Price is ~$460 + shipping (of course shipping is insane) from GMPD.

Obviously this aftermarket one is much cheaper, but the market might be limited if getting the price down to this point requires some sort of cut in quality vs the OEM version. The initial reviews sounded great but they are too new to speak to longevity/durability of the item, and that last one is definitely concerning. If you end up having to buy it multiple times due to shipping damage (or even warranty claims, as this item seems recent so there's no reference for longevity) with zero customer service (like that last review), then you might end up spending nearly as much as just getting an OEM one.

Just worries me a bit that the contact method is so limited with this company.
I’d file a chargeback so fast their heads would spin. Consumer protections for internet transactions are generally pretty stout among all major financial firm, so the money loss wouldn’t be a concern for me personally. But you did raise my actual concern, which is the quality itself. I’m in the market for a new dash pad. Actually just ordered a new GM front bumper cover from GMPartsNow that’s currrntly in transit and was looking at purchasing a new dash pad in the near future. I’m almost tempted to order this and see. Worst case, it sucks and I return. I would like pictures of the underside though because I refuse to glue the dash and would want to retrofit the previous foam padding and tabs to the new piece. If I can’t do that, then it’s not a true replacement and not worth the savings.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

It says it installs with glue. I can't imagine it being much different than a cover
Old 01-28-2023, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 570 Likes on 452 Posts

Edit: Totally didn't notice the mention of Dashskin in the OP's post. Oops.

I bought something similar for my Formula, and installed it with really strong adhesive. My factory dash had shattered, so I shored up what I could with epoxy and pieces of ABS plastic and glued the pad over the top. It doesn't look perfect, but it looks way better than the broken dash did! Unfortunately, I won't know how well it holds up as my car is going to be sitting until I finish the engine build and everything else it needs. However, it's been in a non-climate controlled garage since last winter and it still looks as good as when I installed it. One of these:
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-29-2023, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation;[url=tel:20481185
20481185[/url]]Edit: Totally didn't notice the mention of Dashskin in the OP's post. Oops.

I bought something similar for my Formula, and installed it with really strong adhesive. My factory dash had shattered, so I shored up what I could with epoxy and pieces of ABS plastic and glued the pad over the top. It doesn't look perfect, but it looks way better than the broken dash did! Unfortunately, I won't know how well it holds up as my car is going to be sitting until I finish the engine build and everything else it needs. However, it's been in a non-climate controlled garage since last winter and it still looks as good as when I installed it. One of these: https://www.amazon.com/DashSkin-Mold...BFirebird&th=1
Do you have a picture? My dash was perfect until last week when I decided to wash the car and armor all the dash and it cracked. I don’t really want to spend $700 on a GM one so I was going with the Amazon one. Just curious to see how good/bad it is before I order one. You can text me the picture f it’s easier. I can dm my number.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 570 Likes on 452 Posts

Sorry, I missed this. I can text you pics of the dash, for sure.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Could you please post a picture? I've seen some on rock auto's website, but they are cheaply priced so I'm not sure.
Old 04-08-2023, 04:15 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
...These are still available from GM, the part number is 10422746 for the '97-'99 "Dark Gray" (RPO 14I) version. I don't have the part number handy for the 2000-'02 "Ebony" (RPO 19I) version but I imagine it, too, is still in production based on the older one still being available. Price is ~$460 + shipping (of course shipping is insane) from GMPD....
Late response.

I have been under the impression for many years GM 10422746 was still available, but in color black.

GM 10422746 Dash Pad Color 1997 - 1999

This was a large factor in me not purchasing a GM replacement for the cracked pad in my "grey" interior 1998 Trans Am.