Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

New headlights????

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default New headlights????

Looking for some new headlights, can anyone advise which ones to go for?

First question. What lights are in the headlight housing? -- Odd question I know. But I'm in the UK. My UK Euro spec '99 Camaro has 3 bulbs in the headlight; Dip beam, Mainbeam and sidelight (small white light that comes on with the gauge lights). The indicator (turn signal) is in the bumper. Looking at some headlights on Summit it mentions turn signal, so I'm unsure how the lights are configured for the USA market. Anyone able to .... um ... shed some light on the subject!

Second question. On Summit I see some "Matrix Angel Eye Projector Headlamps". Anyone running these? The images look like 3 reflector lenses (the slotted texture), are they really projector lamps?

Any other lamps I should be considering?
Old 04-24-2024, 03:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

The US headlight module contains only two bulbs (per side) - low beam and high beam head lights. That small 3rd bulb that you have doesn't exist in a US-spec module (per your description of when it illuminates, we would call the function of that bulb a "parking lamp", but our "parking lamp" bulb(s) is contained within the blinker/turn signal housing).

Do you need a replacement that passes any sort of Euro-spec inspection?
Old 04-25-2024, 03:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The US headlight module contains only two bulbs (per side) - low beam and high beam head lights. That small 3rd bulb that you have doesn't exist in a US-spec module (per your description of when it illuminates, we would call the function of that bulb a "parking lamp", but our "parking lamp" bulb(s) is contained within the blinker/turn signal housing).

Do you need a replacement that passes any sort of Euro-spec inspection?
Thanks. Beam pattern would be the most important thing, but hopefully I could adjust the angle to get this. As lots of USA cars are imported into the UK and normally are fine. I can't find a direct UK spec replacement for my Camaro (someone drove into it and broke the headlight), so I'm planning on fitting new aftermarket ones.

In the image of the "Matrix Angel Eye Projector Headlamps" above, it clearly has 3 lenses. You said only high and low beam are in the US lamps. Do you know what the 3rd lens would be for on this unit?
Old 04-25-2024, 05:33 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
In the image of the "Matrix Angel Eye Projector Headlamps" above, it clearly has 3 lenses. You said only high and low beam are in the US lamps. Do you know what the 3rd lens would be for on this unit?
Looks like that 3rd section is just an additional parking lamp, similar to modern halo rings that many newer vehicles use for this function. Lots of the aftermarket replacements have offered something similar over the years (for folks looking for a more modern appearance). But originally there was nothing like this aftermarket one you have pictured above offered for these cars in the US. From the factory, our head lamp module looks exactly like yours (two internal "pods"), except that ours doesn't have that extra little bulb in the low beam pod.
The following users liked this post:
300bhp/ton (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Black bezels would look great on the Mystic. but to each their own
Old 04-25-2024, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You looking for looks or light output? Looks? Just get blacked out housings. Performance? DEPO housings with led/hid projector retrofits.
Old 04-26-2024, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ThoR294
You looking for looks or light output? Looks? Just get blacked out housings. Performance? DEPO housings with led/hid projector retrofits.
Probably a bit of both tbh. But a good beam pattern is import. Where can I DEPO housing with projector retrofits?

Old 05-02-2024, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Probably a bit of both tbh. But a good beam pattern is import. Where can I DEPO housing with projector retrofits?
You would have to find someone who does a retrofit or do it yourself.

https://blackbirdlighting.com/98-02camaro

He did my 96 trans am and 00 trans am lights. absolutely amazing worth every single penny

Quick Reply: New headlights????