Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

My 2002 Camaro transformation.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2024, 11:37 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Thumbs up

^ The car looks great! And congrats on the win!
The following users liked this post:
NC01TA (06-09-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
^ The car looks great! And congrats on the win!
Thank you. It is showing well for it being all original paint on 90% Hood and spoiler are the exception.
NC01TA (06-09-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 530 Likes on 380 Posts

Outstanding! Nice going.
Ref the vibration, I didn't want to re-read the entire thread but did you get new tires? I think I saw a date code showing 14 year old rubber in your first post. If those old Goodyears are the ones still on the car, look no further than a thrown weight or bad belt or even just old hard rubber harshness. I'm a big believer in fresh rubber unless you keep the car local and off the highway at higher speeds. My car collector neighbor liked original rubber on all his rides and that was fine for the minimal local driving he did at speeds under 45 mph. That's unusual though and you indicated you were going 60+. That's too fast for old rubber.
Treburkulosis (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 06:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Outstanding! Nice going.
Ref the vibration, I didn't want to re-read the entire thread but did you get new tires? I think I saw a date code showing 14 year old rubber in your first post. If those old Goodyears are the ones still on the car, look no further than a thrown weight or bad belt or even just old hard rubber harshness. I'm a big believer in fresh rubber unless you keep the car local and off the highway at higher speeds. My car collector neighbor liked original rubber on all his rides and that was fine for the minimal local driving he did at speeds under 45 mph. That's unusual though and you indicated you were going 60+. That's too fast for old rubber.
Yeah its still the older rubber on it. They were brand new. It was doing it with the other tires 18s that were brand new. Its just odd it starts after about 30 minutes of driving. It is fine until them. I am looking for some wider rubber right now. The car stays local for the most part. Plus any car shows around here there are plenty of back roads.
NC01TA (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 06:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well the car hates my wife. I never have any issues with it until she rides in it. Every time she is in it, it doesn't want to start after you kill it. Eventually it will and its fine, but I swear I was doing this last night with it. I swear it gets jealous...

Last edited by Treburkulosis; 06-10-2024 at 06:36 AM.
NC01TA (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 08:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 530 Likes on 380 Posts

Too funny.
Old 06-10-2024, 01:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by Treburkulosis
Yeah its still the older rubber on it. They were brand new. It was doing it with the other tires 18s that were brand new. Its just odd it starts after about 30 minutes of driving. It is fine until them. I am looking for some wider rubber right now. The car stays local for the most part. Plus any car shows around here there are plenty of back roads.
I seem to have the exact opposite problem; a bit of vibration right around 65mph, but only when the suspension/steering/tires are cold. As soon as everything warms up, or extended driving, this eventually clears up. I do have very old tires (I drive the car so little, and only to local shows, that even after ~20 years I've only put maybe ~8,000 miles on these tires), but this still happened even when I briefly had an entirely different set of wheels with brand new tires (same exact symptoms) so it couldn't have anything to do with the tires, wheels, or balancing unless somehow two completely different sets were flawed in precisely the same way. I don't worry much about it as the car is only used for local shows and, as mentioned, the problem gets better as I drive rather than worse, and I only cruise at 50mph+ speeds for a brief period during my normal routes to my regular shows. It's been this way for so many years that I can't even remember when I started noticing it. I think I've had some amount of vibration on at least three of my four 4th gens right around this same speed (~65mph).
Old 06-10-2024, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I seem to have the exact opposite problem; a bit of vibration right around 65mph, but only when the suspension/steering/tires are cold. As soon as everything warms up, or extended driving, this eventually clears up. I do have very old tires (I drive the car so little, and only to local shows, that even after ~20 years I've only put maybe ~8,000 miles on these tires), but this still happened even when I briefly had an entirely different set of wheels with brand new tires (same exact symptoms) so it couldn't have anything to do with the tires, wheels, or balancing unless somehow two completely different sets were flawed in precisely the same way. I don't worry much about it as the car is only used for local shows and, as mentioned, the problem gets better as I drive rather than worse, and I only cruise at 50mph+ speeds for a brief period during my normal routes to my regular shows. It's been this way for so many years that I can't even remember when I started noticing it. I think I've had some amount of vibration on at least three of my four 4th gens right around this same speed (~65mph).
I wonder if it is something with the UMI stuff that is under the car. Maybe the transmission cross member. The tires are fine for what I use them for. It was doing it with both sets the chrome C7s with Kumho tires and the ZR1 wheels with the older goodyears. It feels like it is around the transmission. It doesn't bother me all that much I just wished it was a tad smoother.
Old 06-10-2024, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Love it dude! Sweat lookin ride!
I gotta know - how was the SS spoiler swap?
Did you get one the same RPO paint code?

Same question for the hood - Did you find one with the correct paint and just swap that over?

Here is my 98 which is also slowly transforming!

Old 06-10-2024, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WJ-Hurd
Love it dude! Sweat lookin ride!
I gotta know - how was the SS spoiler swap?
Did you get one the same RPO paint code?

Same question for the hood - Did you find one with the correct paint and just swap that over?

Here is my 98 which is also slowly transforming!

Thank you! I got really lucky and a guy on Facebook marketplace was selling a Sebring Silver aftermarket Spoiler and Hood. Both matched perfectly and both fit very well. He was parting out his race car. Your car looks great! I love the hockey stripe! I am debating it on mine.
WJ-Hurd (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The spoiler - was it easy to swap over?
I was a show this weekend as asked if I was putting one on my car.
It was not until then that I had even thought about it.

I looked at Hawks and they have a couple of silver SS's with that spoiler - so I inquired about them.

Was it an easy swap?
Old 06-10-2024, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WJ-Hurd
The spoiler - was it easy to swap over?
I was a show this weekend as asked if I was putting one on my car.
It was not until then that I had even thought about it.

I looked at Hawks and they have a couple of silver SS's with that spoiler - so I inquired about them.

Was it an easy swap?
Spoiler was easy. I used a plastic door panel remover tool to gently pop the clips loose. Its then 4 I think 10mm nuts. Super easy. It took me 20 minutes tops to swap it out. The hood I had my son help me. It was bit more complex it took me probably 2 hours to get it to shut and the lines to fit the way I wanted it. Its not hard, but I would suggest a second set of hands to help hold it in place until you get it bolted down the first time. After that its a one person job.
Old 07-15-2024, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

So a little update. As I posted before I did a two step paint correction using Koch Chemie H9.02 and a meguiars red microfiber pad then I finished it with Koch Chemie F6.01 and their yellow pad. Normally I would use a meguiars black microfiber one silver, but it was not giving me the shine I wanted. I then did two layers of Koch Chemie C0.02 Ceramic Coating. I have been playing around with stuff on it trying to achieve the max shine. I believe I have found it. So I applied Shine Supply Clutch to the paint and left it in the garage over night. I removed it and used their eco shine waterless wash to remove anything that was left behind. I am really liking that over CARPRO Echo. I have used Echo for years, but eco shine does a much better job IMO. Then I am finishing it with Shine Supply Ignition as the finishing topper. I have used a lot of stuff in my lifetime, but man I am as Shine Supply says I'm Diggin That Shine! Just thought I would give all of you who car show an option for two great products. You can used these with out a ceramic coating or I used Ride shine on the 17th Ferrari ever built as its finishing topper before it went to Cavallino.

The following 3 users liked this post by Treburkulosis:
capelajc (07-17-2024), NC01TA (07-16-2024), Threadzy (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

I will link these products here for you if you are interested.

Eco Shine:
https://shinesupply.com/products/eco...waterless-wash

Clutch:
https://shinesupply.com/products/clutch-16oz

Ignition:
https://shinesupply.com/products/ign...-black-sprayer

Ride Shine:
https://shinesupply.com/products/ride-shine

Clutch will last you a long time. A little goes a long ways. It is also great on trim.

Eco Shine: Is not pre mixed so you will get several bottles out of that as well.
WJ-Hurd (07-15-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 08:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well my 7 year old Ridgid Shop Vac died last week. I was never impressed with it its ability even with the car kit. It just did a ok job. My tornador got more use then it did. So I went looking for a well built multi purpose wall mount vacuum. It came on Tuesday and I will say for 100ish bucks its a very nice unit. It had no problem sucking grass out of that pesky trunk mats in cars. It does not come with anchors, so I would recommend buying those, but it doesn't take up a lot of space. If you are in need of a vac for the garage I would highly recommend this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09C628NFC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09C628NFC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 07-31-2024, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

A little update. Car is showing very well. We keeping seeming to have luck and winning. My boys are enjoying the cars and learning which is the main reason why we bought the car and I started showing it. I added a sticker to my Flex because why not lol.

The following 3 users liked this post by Treburkulosis:
Nathan C (07-31-2024), NC01TA (07-31-2024), Threadzy (08-01-2024)

Quick Reply: My 2002 Camaro transformation.