Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Cracks on dash near radio, fixable? *pics*

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Cracks on dash near radio, fixable? *pics*

I have 2 cracks near the HVAC controls - Is this fixable?
Was not sure if there was a repair for this, not a huge deal but still an eyesore.

Last edited by 777Shock777; Yesterday at 10:11 PM. Reason: pics title
Old Today, 08:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 850 Likes on 651 Posts

Maybe a vinyl repair kit from the auto parts store would work. Still won't look perfect.
Old Today, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Maybe a vinyl repair kit from the auto parts store would work. Still won't look perfect.
True, I definitely dont want to make it worse. Maybe I can drive by some restoration shops and see if someone could make it less noticeable lol.
Old Today, 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 156 Likes on 125 Posts

I would check with a leather seat repair person. They maybe able to fix that. I know I have seen my guy fix some pretty bad stuff on leather Ford seats.
Old Today, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

The dash material has dried out and become brittle (vinyl covering is splitting and will continue when pressed). I have researched these and the fixes out there aren't really fixes as much as they are extreme cover ups.

There are vinyl "repair" kits like Permatex, Coconix, Gold Label, etc. but they are for general use applications and not specifically dashes, I looked into them and if you can find a patch that color matches getting the grain to match will be rare (you can make your own grain, see below)
The most promising fix is to cut out the cracking part and removing some of the foam, use superglue and baking soda to close the gaps but not fill it, use a plasticized silicone product to match a patch of grain off the dash, let it dry and peel it off so you have a grain template, after that hardens use a plasticized filler (make sure it is sandable/paintable) and fill to match the surface area, let it get tacky and apply the grain template and peel it back slowly. When it is all dry and cured lightly sand and apply a color matched vinyl paint and adhesion promoter to that corner (tape off all the areas first to avoid any over-spray). and that should make it look better, not 100% but enough to not catch attention.

I would suggest to clean the entire dash and apply a few treatments of 303 to allow the vinyl to "soften" up and become pliable again. My dash had dried out around the top of the climate controls and I didn't know it until I was taking the trim off to put in a new head unit and heard/felt the cracking of vinyl. I bought a dash out of wrecked TA and contacted a company to restore it, NOT economical at all, and if I can source the right ebony shade and material (UV resistant for both A and B spectrums) and find the right foam I just might try to recover the entire dash with new foam and vinyl. The biggest issue will be the air-bag cover as it won't really match and the curling on the edges will make it stand out way more.

Quick Reply: Cracks on dash near radio, fixable? *pics*