Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone ever polished there LS1 alloy engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever polished there LS1 alloy engine?

Seeing as my LS1 engine is out of the car on engine stand. Being alloy I have seen it done before just not on an LS1 engine.

Can I polish block, heads etc so it has a polished/chrome alloy show finish?
If so what products should I use to get it done or is it a matter of sending the parts off to get professionally polished?

Any pics of a polished LS1 engine.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:50 AM
Launching!

Interesting question... I've never heard or seen this done. I'm not even sure if it can be done. Personally I would just paint it.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:01 AM
Teching In

Yes you can polish it.. have you ever done this type of job b4?
I've seen lot's of ppl showing their polished stuff, And almost all of them looks like fkn crap! It looks like **** when you don't put any time to make it all shiny.. It's easy to get bored after a couple of months of hard work. I suggest you start with something smaller like the valve covers..(they are very easy to polish) then you have some idea how much work you have to do.. then you polish something that have the same surface as the block.

I polished loads of stuff and all i can say it takes lot's of time and struggle to make it really nice.. A flat surface or something that's round is usually more easy to make it shiny comparing to engine parts.. You need loads of different polish equipment. You have to do it in several steps.. first you have to sand down the rought surface very carefully so you don't make deep scratches. Using a grinder can be hard too, it's very easy to slip and then you have to remove the damage by grinding down the surface around it.

The best would be to use your hands and fingers but after the polish is done you won't have any

I had lot's of success using differen't 3M Roloc disks, they are soft and won't leave ugly marks that easy.. And you will probably need hundreds of them! And they are not free
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

You also need a tiny high rev machine to reach all the tight places.. I dunno how much a polished block will affect the cooling??.. A rough surface cools down faster comparing to a shiny one.. I removed the paint and polished my car stereo amps, After that they got overheating problems.. Very annoying but this would probably not happen on the LS1 block and heads..

Good luck dude
Old 08-15-2004, 06:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys
I know its a long, slow and extremely time consuming process.

I was thinking of doing rocker covers first then if that goes well might just do front side of engine that is visable when in the car.

I have seen an alloy block/head/manifold/TB engine HPC coated before and it was mirror finish, looked unreal.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Polished Supercharged LS1 You should check this site out....AWESOME....but I don't have the time to do this though.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do have a pic of one though
Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever polished there LS1 alloy engine?-polished-ls1.jpg  
Old 08-15-2004, 07:02 PM
Teching In

I checked out the polished engine pic.. very nice! Lot's of sweat behind this shine.. AWESOME is the word here!

Quick Reply: Anyone ever polished there LS1 alloy engine?