Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Is bodyshop screwing me? How long to prep/paint hood?

Old 08-25-2004, 03:31 PM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is bodyshop screwing me? How long to prep/paint hood?

Hey guys, want to make sure I don't get screwed here. I had my T/A go into a bodyshop a couple months ago and they ended up putting a stock hood on it instead of a VFN ram-air, like i wanted and cleared with the insurance co.

So now after 6 weeks on back order, the hood was in and I took my car there 2 Mondays ago, Friday will make it 2 full work-weeks. I went to the shop last night to look at it, b/c they said it wasn't lining up right but they got it kinda close and wanted to get my approval before adding more hours (money) to it. So I went and looked at it, it's definitely off, but it was close enough for me, so I said ok, that'll work. The guy said ok, the car will be ready tomorrow (meaning today). All they had left to do was buff it out and clean the dust off the car. Well, called today, and somehow it's not ready, they had to do some more work on it.

My questions are:

1. What is the max it should take to prep, paint, and line up a hood to "close"? I'm guessing 10 hrs TOPS! What's the MOST I should pay to have a VFN WS6 hood put on?

2. If you fucked up a customer's hood like this, wouldn't you want to make them a priority when the car comes back for the right hood? Not keep it another 2 weeks? Total time the shop had it for the first time and this time will be 4 full weeks (2 weeks each time), plus I had the car 5 weeks while waiting for the back ordered hood.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:37 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen a few shops that do awesome work prep and paint a hood perfect in 2-3 days. 2 weeks is definatly too long. From the way your first experence was, why did you decide to go back?
Old 08-25-2004, 06:26 PM

The ONLY reason I went back is b/c it was an insurance claim to begin with. And they were already paid $600 for a hood and 6 hrs in labor for hood prep by the insurance co. The $600 and 6 hrs is applied to my WS6 prep/paint since I cleared the WS6 hood INSTEAD of the stock hood with both the insurance co. AND this bodyshop. But the bodyshop SOMEHOW overlooked the fact that is was supposed to get a WS6 hood instead of stock the first time it was there, despite 2 phone calls prior to dropping the car off, and hand written instructions about the WS6 hood on the estimate itself.

Anything over the $600+6 hrs, I am going to pay for. I figure 10 hrs tops to get the hood done. So I'm thinking I might have to pay for 4 hrs of shop time @ $38/hr. So maybe $200 or so for the extra labor of a glass hood over a steel one. The WS6 hood was $480 plus $70 for new struts for the lighter hood, plus $110 shipping.

Grand total out of my pocket should be about $260 for the extra time and cost of the WS6 over stock. Sound right or do these hoods really take more than 10 hrs?

Last edited by BuckeyeROC; 08-27-2004 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:17 PM

I just need a range of how many hours it should take to prep/paint and align a VFN WS6, or any glass hood. Thanks guys.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC
I just need a range of how many hours it should take to prep/paint and align a VFN WS6, or any glass hood. Thanks guys.
The shop that did the fit and paint on mine had my car 3 days, this included fitting, sanding, painting it inside and out and clear coated for $300.00.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:15 PM
11 Second Club

When I got my SLP Ram Air hood done, it took them about 3 days, and about $400. They said it was a bitch to fit, too.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:52 PM

Ok guys, help me out here. Got the bill from the bodyshop...AFTER applying 6.1 hrs from the labor on the stock hood AND the $600 for the cost of the stock hood ($886 total), the bodyshop is trying to say I owe them $645 MORE dollars. So what they are saying is it took a total of ~$1530.23 for the VFN hood price ($480), shipping ($105), $70 struts and THEN 15 hrs labor AND $140 in paint/shop materials.

This is bullshit, please post up your opinions.

Last edited by BuckeyeROC; 08-26-2004 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:32 PM

Just called VFN and they said it would take most shops 5 hrs for prep/paint/install. This sound about right? Please help me out guys, I'm thinking of taking legal action, 15 hrs is rediculous and I think they are trying to make me pay for their screw up with the stock hood.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:00 PM
Launching!

my car is in the body shop right now getting an oem ss hood put on. Tomorrow (friday) makes one work week. I will probably go by tomorrow to see how much longer it will be. I am hoping that since it is an oem hood that there will be no fitment problems.

But it does sound kind of fishy that there is extra money being charged after their screwup. Call the BBB and see what they have to say about it.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:22 PM

i had my rear qt panel and bumper repaired, then they painted both rear quarter panels the front and back bumper and the hood, it cost me 1400$ and took 5 days, and this was at a very reputable dealship, and they did a 100% excellent job, everything matches fine, i think they are trying to screw you i would call the insurance company and then a lawyer. good luck with everything!!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:24 PM
Launching!

BTW, they said it should be about $450 total to paint and install.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:36 PM

Yeah, $300-450 is what I keep seeing for these hoods for labor installed. They are trying to charge me around $800. Like I said, $1530 for the hood, struts, shipping, paint, prep, install, and tax.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude i think they are totally screwing you forreal, just like you said they told you total on the hood would be about $ 450.00 .That really sucks....man... I say fight back, tak'em down ....... :rl:
Old 08-27-2004, 03:28 PM

For the Toledo area guys, the shop is Holland Body Shop on Eber Rd. in Holland, Ohio.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:49 PM

And to simply the numbers, the only things I'm disputing are that they charged me $140 (30%) markup on the hood without EVER telling me until the bill showed up. And said it took 15 hrs to do the hood, which I think they screwed me out of 5 hrs of shop time ($38/hr). Total for those 2 things comes to $310 including tax. About the amount to do a stock hood, hmmmmm.

Out of my pocket expense was $645 (not including my $500 deductible already paid months ago), a far cry from the $200-$300 estimate I was given. He did knock it down to $600 though.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I took my local bodyshop a Navy Blue Factory WS6 hood I bought for my black car (sure it was the wrong color, but $300 for a factory hood, who could pass that up?!)

They had to change the color from blue to black. Dropped off on a monday and got it back on friday: painted and cleared inside and out--looks perfect!
Old 08-28-2004, 05:08 PM
TECH Regular

LoL, this was entertaining to read. Obviously you realize that you are getting the shaft...you don't need our opinions on this. Take action. What was remotely scary is that in your last post you spoke almost as if you coughed up the cash. If you did, well...I'll be nice and leave it that it's too late to do anything. If you still haven't made the payment I'd definitely get in touch with something along the lines of the Better Business Bureau(sp?) or take legal action for sure. These guys are crooks.

Justin
Old 08-28-2004, 06:48 PM

Yeah, I did cough up the $600. Just so I could FINALLY get the car back and play with it. They'd probably end up charging me a storage fee for everyday it sat there or something if I didn't.

I ALSO DID file with the Better Biz Bureau. Told them, as I told the guy to his face, that I think he's charging me the $140 markup on the hood and 5 extra hrs of time on the hood to make me pay for his mistake of painting a stock hood and putting it on.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:01 AM
R.I.P. November 11, 2007

Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC
Yeah, I did cough up the $600. Just so I could FINALLY get the car back and play with it. They'd probably end up charging me a storage fee for everyday it sat there or something if I didn't.

I ALSO DID file with the Better Biz Bureau. Told them, as I told the guy to his face, that I think he's charging me the $140 markup on the hood and 5 extra hrs of time on the hood to make me pay for his mistake of painting a stock hood and putting it on.

Best to get things in writing up front.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by rex orr
Best to get things in writing up front.
Yeah, he wouldn't put it in writing though, and I was stuck b/c of the insurance claim and the fact he already did most the work. He took advantage of that situation.

Rex, you make glass hoods, unless it's show quality, how excessive is 15 hrs for prep/paint and install for a gel-coated glass hood?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is bodyshop screwing me? How long to prep/paint hood?