Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to Polish SLP DD Cat back??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 07:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Polish SLP DD Cat back??

Okay I need a little help. I have an SLP DD that I have to polish, you see I live in the Northwest and I park right next to Todd 2001 SS at the local car shows. Tood is a great guy and has taught me the how to polish part, the question I have has anyone polished their SLP DD as one piece vs. cutting it into sections
Old 09-14-2004, 07:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can pull it out, it shouldn't be too hard. Is it welded together or something?
Old 09-14-2004, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I polished mine on the car . . . not to the shean of Todd's but a ton better than stock.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
I polished mine on the car . . . not to the shean of Todd's but a ton better than stock.
Post a pic Andy, I was telling Steve about yours a while ago.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
I was planning on taking the unit off the car, so I can paint the rear end and do some other detail work. It looks like even if I take it off the muffler and exit tips are all one big piece. Trying to envision using the buffing wheel without four arms & hands.

Any ideas are welcome.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
the muffler and exit tips are all one big piece.
Yes they are
Old 09-14-2004, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Polished mine in place also. Would like to ge it off so I can do a better job. Maybe this winter.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by planemech2
Polished mine in place also. Would like to ge it off so I can do a better job. Maybe this winter.
So what did you use?
Old 09-15-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

Steve: I used a couple of buffing wheels and 2 different grades of compound and an electric drill. As a finishing for the pipes, I used a product called Luster Lace. It's used for wire wheels and tubing. Also used it on my brake lines and other tubes in the engine compartment.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Steve: I used a couple of buffing wheels and 2 different grades of compound and an electric drill. As a finishing for the pipes, I used a product called Luster Lace. It's used for wire wheels and tubing. Also used it on my brake lines and other tubes in the engine compartment.
Thanks for the reply.

This winter I plan on taking the unit off the car and try to use the stationary buffing wheel then follow-up with a drill for the parts I can't get to. I've used Luster Lace, great product the results you can achieve for the time spent and money spent are very good. But I've got to park by Todd 2001 SS at our local shows and he has raised the bar beyond Luster Lace. I'll hope to post pictures sometime this winter.

Thanks again for your ideas.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Just remember Todd's last post, he polished his driveshaft. Could the whole rearend be next??
Old 09-15-2004, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

Just remember Todd's last post, he polished his driveshaft. Could the whole rearend be next??

Yeah but it is fun trying to keep up.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:22 PM
Tech Addict

How are you doing Jay? My son deleted your emails, e mail me at rtoddkimmell@comcast.net, it is my newest address.

Polishing the whole rear, oh man the thought , lol. There is a camaro around here that has a chromed rear end.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
I was planning on taking the unit off the car, so I can paint the rear end and do some other detail work. It looks like even if I take it off the muffler and exit tips are all one big piece. Trying to envision using the buffing wheel without four arms & hands.

Any ideas are welcome.
Just keep in mind that if you are going to take it off, you will probably have to destroy the inlet to the muffler in the process. When SLP put those systems on they really cranked down the muffler clamp bolts and "bell-mouthed" the axlepipe and the muffler inlet, locking them together. When I took mine off I had to go to a muffler shop to get them to cut it with a torch and weld a new inlet onto the muffler. The whole process sucked. Good luck with the polishing.... I polished my SLP 2OTL catback and have gotten many compliments.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Samba242
Just keep in mind that if you are going to take it off, you will probably have to destroy the inlet to the muffler in the process. When SLP put those systems on they really cranked down the muffler clamp bolts and "bell-mouthed" the axlepipe and the muffler inlet, locking them together. When I took mine off I had to go to a muffler shop to get them to cut it with a torch and weld a new inlet onto the muffler. The whole process sucked. Good luck with the polishing.... I polished my SLP 2OTL catback and have gotten many compliments.
Anyone else have experience taking this unit off??

Samba if I run into the same situation you did it might be cheaper for me to cut the existing muffler off, purchase a new muffler, polish everything and then reassemble.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:07 PM
Launching!

I think they charged me like $25 to cut the muffler off and weld on a new 304ss inlet tube. I re-installed it myself.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Samba242
I think they charged me like $25 to cut the muffler off and weld on a new 304ss inlet tube. I re-installed it myself.
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Granted this won't achieve a mirror finish, but I did greatly improve the look of a used SLP DD catback that I bought by using some 0000 steel wool along with Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish. I would classify the results as more of a brightening than a polish though. The exhaust system had turned a dingy brown color, and this cleaned it up nicely.

Quick Reply: How to Polish SLP DD Cat back??