Need to hear from anyone that has removed bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to hear from anyone that has removed bumpers

Thinking about removing my bumpers to reduce weight, I would like to know:

How hard is it?
Did you weigh them after you took them off and how much did you save?
Did it screw up anything, like do the outer bumper covers cave in or anything like that?
How long did it take?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-17-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was thinking about doing this, but since I was in an accident im gona leave it alone. It was a fairly low speed front end impact and it I bent it up pretty good, along with twisting my core support. I got the new bumper in the mail today, and yes it is heavy, but ill find other ways to shave weight off the car.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

I believe that my bumper support and foam was around 20lbs, I remember the support being exacly 15lbs and the foam had to be atleast 3-5lbs. I have had no sagging or flexing issues with the cover but it seems that my ground effect has helped hold it togethor. The only thing I modified was where the bumper connects to the front of the fender. The fender has alittle nub on it the goes through the bumper, i cut the nub off and drilled a hole so I could put a bolt through it. This was to make sure that I got a nice tight fit between the bumper cover and the fender.

BTW: It's pretty simple and straight forward. Would probrably take you 3 hours if your slow. I've had mine off a few times and I can pretty much get it off in 15 minutes so it's nothing difficult. It is nice to have an extra set of hands when you pull the cover off so you don't flex and spider web it.

Quick Reply: Need to hear from anyone that has removed bumpers