Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need race seat info

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need race seat info

I'm in the market for race seats, but I need some info. I've never had one of the cheaper seats that have came out on the market in the last year or two, but my question is about where the quality is lacking on the cheap seats. If it is a generic covering, that isn't a big deal, I'll probably recover them anyway. If the frame and/or padding of the seat is crap though, I have a problem with that. I'm looking for seats for a mostly street car, occassional drag car, so comfort is important.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe that konig makes "cheap seats" but where there quality lacks is in the seat foam. A friend of mine had them said they were sooo comfortable but after a few months the foam was useless. as for other brands APC Summit etc... no clue. I have Corbeau A4's and they have been fine for well over a year. there is a guy on this site that has APC's maybe he'll put in a word about the seats
Old 09-21-2004, 03:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corbeau TRS here. They are great, and comfortable, but if you have a big person sitting in them, tell them not to adjust the seat by pushing their weight backwards.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

What do you do about seat belts when you get aftermarket seats. I just want em so when I get stopped by the fuzz I wont get any more of a ticket.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the Corbeau 4pt harnesses with mine. I took out the stock seatbelts, but my friend with the same seats put 5pt harnesses in his, and left the stock seatbelts in for ease of use!
Old 09-22-2004, 03:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't get the Forza's they are a pain to get in and out of for daily use. Light though...
Old 09-22-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by superchannelkev
there quality lacks is in the seat foam. A friend of mine had them said they were sooo comfortable but after a few months the foam was useless. as for other brands APC Summit etc... no clue. I have Corbeau A4's and they have been fine for well over a year. there is a guy on this site that has APC's maybe he'll put in a word about the seats
Good info, thanks. Something I'm curious about, how much does your friend weigh that wore out the foam so fast? And what do you weigh if you don't mind me asking? Weight will obviously play a major factor in how fast foam wears out.

Forgottenpassword- What happened when somebody leaned back to adjust the seat? It's the structural integrity I'm wanting to know about.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

My friend weighs about 160-170 and is about 5'10". He only put about 5000 miles on the car mostly for commute and once a month for SCCA autox. Just poor foam that was used in the begining I guess.. lowered the price of the seat but killed its function way too quick. He is back with stock seats and going to be buying A4's or TRS's. Oh I don't mind you asking...I weigh about 150lbs & 5'11"
Old 09-22-2004, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh the corbeau harnesses are D.O.T. approved.... I have simpson harnesses but a friend with a 5.0 has the 3 point double releases and it has D.O.T. approved right on the back of the harness so if a cop gives you crap show him the backside of your... ...harness
Old 09-22-2004, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by superchannelkev
Oh the corbeau harnesses are D.O.T. approved.... I have simpson harnesses but a friend with a 5.0 has the 3 point double releases and it has D.O.T. approved right on the back of the harness so if a cop gives you crap show him the backside of your... ...harness
Can you use the harnesses with stock seats? I just installed a custom roll-bar and would prefer to use a 4/5pt. to avoid any possibility of my head hitting the roll-bar.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

with a t/a you could but on a camaro the harnesses won't do jack.. you need the headrests to put them through

Quick Reply: Need race seat info