Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help! Sagging doors? Not lining up

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! Sagging doors? Not lining up

Who has this problem? My car ('01 WS6) is just getting finished up at the paint shop and they called me in today to show me the doors. They seem to be sagging and the new door mouldings won't line up. They want me to ride with it and let it go, after spending over $4k on a paint job I want perfection! My car only has 22k miles and both doors seem to have the same problem. Has anyone here ever fixed sagging doors? They also seem to go in too far when you close the doors, whats with that?
Old 09-22-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ive never fixed doors on an f-body but I have fixed the doors on my '77 442. On the 442 there were some brass bushings that broke apart and caused the door to sag. I would tell the shop to fix the doors. Sounds like they just don't want to mess with them.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

not to sure about the doors going in to far, but is it possible that the hinges are worn out? maybe there is just some kind of adjustment you need to make to line em back up, but the obvious thing to do is check those hinges first. just a thought.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

I looked at my hinges and I dont see any bushings to wear out. It could be something simple like adjusting the door on the hinge. Did they sag before you took it in to get it painted?
Old 09-24-2004, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure if the doors lined up. I don't think it's the hinges (no play), I think I would have noticed crooked mouldings (maybe they were put on to work with the doors before I bought it. Anyway the reason I am pissed is that this shop never noticed until the day I was to pick my car up (4 weeks later). Now I am told it will be $360 more to adjust whatever it takes to get everything to line up. That makes almost $4500 for the complete job ! I want all this to be over so I can cruise in my car (thats what I bought it for in the first place) and I want to look good doing so.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

My passenger door is doing it ever so slightly. I have worn out hinges because when the door is lifted up you can feel play in it.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

I just finished aligning the drivers door on my SS.
It was way out but I was able to improve it to my satisfaction.
If the back of the door is in/out to far adjusting the striker will solve that.
Their is also slotted holes in the hinges to allow for adjustment. I think the fender would need to be off to do it right.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Did the paint shop take the doors off? If not, they will charge for labor to adjust the alignment. You can adjust them yourself, but it's a tedious process. First loosen the screws, then use a floor jack with a block of wood between the jack and door (open) to hold the door in place while you adjust it. It will take some time, but it can be done. Eastwood Co does sell a special jack to hold the door in place, but it's $$$.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I used a jack on my doors when I did it. I was going to ask the samething. DId the shop take the doors off?

Quick Reply: Help! Sagging doors? Not lining up