Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

clear (altezza) firebird tailights

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clear (altezza) firebird tailights

ive looked and looked but NOTHINg! anyone done the cleared out firebird tailights (non honey combed ones) on the 93-97 birds? i have a black 01 but i am thinking that those lights might look cool with my black/chrome thnng goin on. i know that EvlLs1 has them but hes the only bird ive seen with them, he says he found them on ebay, but i cant find em and im thinking of doing it myself, any suggestions?
Old 01-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Banned

Do want an honest opinion? There are very few F-bods that would look good with the clears. I think most gearheads HATE anything that even hints at rice. You might just **** off most people who would see your car in traffic. I vote for keeping the stock and leave the clear for the "rice" crowd. I hope you don't feel like I'm being a ***** for the hell of it, because I DO respect you- but I don't respect clear tail lights.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:20 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

It's your car to do with whatever you want, but since you asked for opinions......I'm begging you to please not desecrate your car like that!
Old 01-08-2005, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, since the only thing you asked is where to find them, I'll tell you what I know . As far as I know from this and other boards, there is no one that manufactures these. All the ones that I've seen (which is actually quite a few) were homemeade by simply separating the lenses and removing the red lense and then regluing the clear outer lens back on the housing. They aren't legal because they're no longer reflective except for the little piece below the actualy lights, so you may want to be careful about that.

Now for the opinion you didn't ask for . I was actually planning to do this with my fogged over stock ones, until a kind tow truck driver shattered my tail light . They actually look pretty decent, especially on black cars, and even more with a color scheme like you said. They don't look too rice (and I despise all "altezza" or "euro" lights on just about every car) simply because they don't have any tacky shaped lights surrounded by clear nothingness, they just look like stock lights missing the reflective red part. I say if you want to do it, go for it .

Tom
Old 01-08-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You cant do it with the Honeycomb T/A lights, they are manufactured differently you have to use the Formula stlye taillights maybe the firebird type too but Im not sure which years that applies to. I have not done this but read alot of post on it. Anybody please feel free to contradict me. I saw a bunch of these already done on ebay a while back, I think there are two different guys who do this on there, read up and check feedbacks.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

the ONLY ones I have seen that looked decent (using that word very lightly) are the export tail lights shown about half way down in this thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/258436-euro-98-firebird-tail-lights.html

I'm with the rest of the fella's here, please reconsider. Euro = rice IMO. I will have to get a picture of this Mustang and Camaro that live around here. They are the saddest excuse for American you will ever see. (Especially when the guy spent more on ground effects and wing than his v6 Mustang is worth)
Old 01-08-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by libertine1015
You cant do it with the Honeycomb T/A lights, they are manufactured differently you have to use the Formula stlye taillights maybe the firebird type too but Im not sure which years that applies to. I have not done this but read alot of post on it. Anybody please feel free to contradict me. I saw a bunch of these already done on ebay a while back, I think there are two different guys who do this on there, read up and check feedbacks.
Yeah, it's done with the 93-97 TA/Formula lights like he said in the original post, since they are the only ones that have the separate grid.

Here's what they look like after:

http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/97formulaws6

Tom
Old 01-12-2005, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

thanks for all the posts guys, i took off my blackouts for washing and i really like the look of the back end now.. i think ill leave the clears to those of you with the tailights already to mod, mines an 01 so i have honey comb and cant do it..

I think it looks good on some cars, EVLLS1 did it to his silver transam and i think it looks very nice, but i did see one on bfrankers site when i was checking out decals and the black car looks crappy with them i think... but then again maybe his were different
Old 01-12-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by darkecho
thanks for all the posts guys, i took off my blackouts for washing and i really like the look of the back end now.. i think ill leave the clears to those of you with the tailights already to mod, mines an 01 so i have honey comb and cant do it..

I think it looks good on some cars, EVLLS1 did it to his silver transam and i think it looks very nice, but i did see one on bfrankers site when i was checking out decals and the black car looks crappy with them i think... but then again maybe his were different

this calls for a celebration

drinks on me
Old 01-12-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm proud of this guy
Old 01-24-2005, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have a set of 95 firebird stock taillights if you want to buy them
Old 02-03-2005, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe it is pretty easy to seperate the lenses of the LT1 cars. First they need to be heated up a bit to soften the glue that holds them together. Then using a butter knife or something similar the glue can be cut and the 2 lens wedged apart.

They can then be put back together with black RTV silicone or something to seal it up good.

The Honeycomb lights are not able to take the red out.

I don't know of anyone with the Euro lights. Sorry.

Quick Reply: clear (altezza) firebird tailights